WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Images

Here is something to think about. On the PCT there is Vermillion Valley resort in the Sierras, which sounds very similar to WHL. However they charge 7 or 8 bucks EACH way for the boat across the lake. And, they have a schedule with 2 ferries a day. So maybe WHL isn't so bad with their prices.

That being said, I haven't visited WHL or VVR and don't plan to visit either if I re-hike either trail.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I just wonder if he told them that there would be no cooking before he brought them over.
    I dunno about the others but they told me about the cooking hours as soon as I walked off the dock. I can't remember the hours, but there is a 2-3 hour window for cooked meals in the evening.

Default I liked the place

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    If I close my eyes and really concentrate I can think of that massive burger at the WHL. My god was it the right food at the right moment.
    I have only been to Whitehouse Landing once, but I enjoyed the place. In fact, I liked it enough that I stayed an extra day.

When it was time to pay up, I told Bill to add a tip to the payment. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Are you sure?" Evidentally, he doesn't get many tips.

I realize that many, maybe most, of the people who stop at Whitehouse Landing are on a limited budget, but some are not. Perhaps an occasional tip would help Bill's demeanor. Isn't that how tips are supposed to work?

Shutterbug

Journal Entries
    Images

It has been since 2002 that I have been there. I was hiking with a group of southbounders that loved the place but when we got on down the trail most of them started griping about the price of things. I reminded them of where the place was located but still they griped.

I had no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    That being said, I haven't visited WHL or VVR and don't plan to visit either if I re-hike either trail.
    WHL wasn't there in 1990. Or if it was, I wasn't aware of it. I wonder if I'd have tried to go there, if it had been. (Probably!) But as it turned out, that week in the 100-mile was as long as I'd ever spent in the woods, w/o contact with "civilization" -- and was all the more special because of that, I think.

I was hoping for another week like that, starting in a couple of weeks, on the PCT. But plans are up in the air at the moment due to the fires. May need to settle for a shorter section somewhere else. (I'm thinking maybe Sonora Pass/Kennedy Meadows, heading north...)

Images

I stayed there in 07 got to see Baxter their resident MOOSE he was swimming in the lake . The man was a bit of a Grump but the Burger made up for that..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I just wonder if he told them that there would be no cooking before he brought them over.
    Don't know that, IMO I don't think it matters they were not happy they pushed the miles, made it on time and were turned down.
    WalkingStick"75"

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Perhaps an occasional tip would help Bill's demeanor. Isn't that how tips are supposed to work?

Ahhhh, no. It's the opposite, the customer is the one to be kept happy. Poor service=poor tip.
    In 06' that guy was grumpy to me too. His wife must be getting pretty sick of overcompensating with her friendliness.

I stayed there a few days ago, I loved it. I'd heard all the rumors but the owners were nice and the food, lodging, and location were all great. It was a bit expensive but I didn't mind paying because I was really happy with my stay.

Images

I agree that the husband is definitely a little grumpy but the wife is very nice.

I sat and conversed with the wife for several hours during my stay. She was kind enough to cook me a second 1lb burger (outside of the normal cooking hours), and was generous enough to take my cell phone and camera batteries to her house and charged them for me. They were waiting for me at the breakfast table the following morning.

The prices are a little high, but you have to consider their location and the lack of any other services in the area.

I have plans of stopping their again next fall while hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness with some friends.

Default I haven't been there, skipping it during my 2006 thruhike...

And, I don't intend to go to WHL on my repeat thruhike next year, either.

I called the place a couple weeks ago. The man answered. I politely asked him if they would accept a mail drop. He replied no, but that they had hiker food there. I responded that they almost certainly didn't have the food I carried with me on hikes, and rather than get into an argument, politely terminated the call.

The guy IMO appears to think that if they don't accept maildrops, that everyone who would have come by to pick up a maildrop would have, in addition to buying a couple meals, something to drink, a shower, towel, and an overnight stay, would find themselves also spending $120.00 to buy $50 worth of resupply. Well, he's wrong.

With no maildrop of our own healthy food available (not to mention nonfood supplies), we'll just keep on going to Abol Bridge, the effort and time of the detour (not to mention the expense) just not being worth what we'd get out of the place. Bet we'll have plenty of company in that decision...

People don't seem to understand that WHL is completely off the grid. They have to generate their own electricity and haul in their own cooking gas. The husband, wife, and kid run the whole camp by themselves, do all the cleaning, maintenance, cooking, etc., plus homeschool Jr. They don't get deliveries and they have to go pick up the mail and all food and supplies themselves in their own vehicle with their own gas. (I think they told me it was 45 minutes to the nearest town but I may be mistaken about this.) They don't have access to wholesale goods or food suppliers. They don't have room in their vehicle for multiple hiker drop boxes nor time to keep track of them or energy to argue with people whose boxes don't show up or are damaged or stolen.

Their hiker supplies are not meant to be a source for a major resupply.

Furthermore, during the muddy season the road is impassable for weeks at a time and there is no mail or resupply or vehicular traffic of any kind in or out whatsoever, besides the boat to nowhere.

The prices there are reasonable considering the location and the costs of supplying the goods. A comparable fresh-made burger and beer would be at least as expensive in most urban areas.

The kitchen hours are limited because when they're not cooking and serving meals and cleaning up afterwards, they're changing sheets and sweeping floors and mowing grass.

There probably are some valid criticisms--from what I've read, they would do well to clearly post prices and rules. Certainly the blazing of the trail to the landing is overdone. I was surprised that the hiker box was designated for overnight guests only, but I guess people who put stuff in it were cool with that or they wouldn't have put anything in it. The sign saying to blow the air horn once only is a little off-putting until you imagine some jack*** blowing it over and over again with the sound traveling across the peaceful lake disturbing everyone for miles around.

But in the end, no matter what they do, they're not going to make everyone happy. And frankly, someone who wasn't happy at Elmer's wouldn't be happy at WHL despite them being very different places so minnesotasmith, I believe you made the correct decision not to stop there. You would have probably ended up trying to hike out or taking the boat across on your own.

Images

Full agreement with Appalachian Tater, I have no problem with their prices. Hopefully they have spent a little time here on WB and have been reading their reviews. There was another one just like this one last fall. If he is a business man, and I think he is then hopefully he will make the necessary changes to keep his customers happy. We all have to remember nobody can make everyone happy.
    WalkingStick"75"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    People don't seem to understand that WHL is completely off the grid. They have to generate their own electricity and haul in their own cooking gas. The husband, wife, and kid run the whole camp by themselves, do all the cleaning, maintenance, cooking, etc., plus homeschool Jr. They don't get deliveries and they have to go pick up the mail and all food and supplies themselves in their own vehicle with their own gas. (I think they told me it was 45 minutes to the nearest town but I may be mistaken about this.) They don't have access to wholesale goods or food suppliers. They don't have room in their vehicle for multiple hiker drop boxes nor time to keep track of them or energy to argue with people whose boxes don't show up or are damaged or stolen.

Their hiker supplies are not meant to be a source for a major resupply.

Furthermore, during the muddy season the road is impassable for weeks at a time and there is no mail or resupply or vehicular traffic of any kind in or out whatsoever, besides the boat to nowhere.

The prices there are reasonable considering the location and the costs of supplying the goods. A comparable fresh-made burger and beer would be at least as expensive in most urban areas.

The kitchen hours are limited because when they're not cooking and serving meals and cleaning up afterwards, they're changing sheets and sweeping floors and mowing grass.

There probably are some valid criticisms--from what I've read, they would do well to clearly post prices and rules. Certainly the blazing of the trail to the landing is overdone. I was surprised that the hiker box was designated for overnight guests only, but I guess people who put stuff in it were cool with that or they wouldn't have put anything in it. The sign saying to blow the air horn once only is a little off-putting until you imagine some jack*** blowing it over and over again with the sound traveling across the peaceful lake disturbing everyone for miles around.

But in the end, no matter what they do, they're not going to make everyone happy. And frankly, someone who wasn't happy at Elmer's wouldn't be happy at WHL despite them being very different places so minnesotasmith, I believe you made the correct decision not to stop there. You would have probably ended up trying to hike out or taking the boat across on your own.
    My objection is simpler. WHL blatantly posted commercial messages in the trail corridor, thus ignoring national Park trail rules, and lied about doing so, and it continues to do so.

Their argument is simple. "I didn't post any illegal signs. Someone else did. If you think I did it, prove that I did it."

Unfortunately, "proof" in a court of law goes beyond ordinary common sense.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    My objection is simpler. WHL blatantly posted commercial messages in the trail corridor, thus ignoring national Park trail rules, and lied about doing so, and it continues to do so.

Their argument is simple. "I didn't post any illegal signs. Someone else did. If you think I did it, prove that I did it."

Weary
    if youu, MATC, and ATC have a problem with them and think they're doing something illegal, then address it. kincora an d dennis cove hostels have signs at the road too.

I stayed at WHL in 2003. It was one of the highlights of my hike. The bill was just over $50. Thats for 2 of their 1 pound burgers, a shower, breakfast, a bunk, they did have my maildrop, and a boat ride to and fro. That is such a deal, especially for such a remote location. If you don't like that price, you must have been really grumpy for all of New England. I didn't notice the husband having an attitude but I was in the glow of about to finish my thru. As far as the advertisement on the trail. I saw advertisements all along the trail at road crossings and at shelters. Not something to get your thong fouled for. When I do the 100 mile wilderness I will be definately stopping again.

Default White House is great

I stayed at White House Landing when I did the trail in 2002.It was a great last stop before the trip into Baxter.The burgers were great and the views of the lake were wonderful!
    I think you will find it a great way to break up the wilderness

Foxfire
    Ga Me 02

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post

Weary
    If that's true, and I tend to believe Weary, I'll never spend a dime there. Ever.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if youu, MATC, and ATC have a problem with them and think they're doing something illegal, then address it. kincora an d dennis cove hostels have signs at the road too.
    Are signs at the road OK versus signs on the trail itself? Or is it a gray area?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Are signs at the road OK versus signs on the trail itself? Or is it a gray area?
    There are no public roads in the "wilderness." The land is all owned by the National Park Service. LOgging companies have easements for transporting logs in several locations. None of the easements allow for the posting of business signs.

The AT Ranger from Harpers Ferry some time ago visited the area and talked with the landing owners. I don't know the outcome of those talks. I do know that the business never responded constructively to complaints by MATC over the years. MATC was especially upset when blaze orange signs were posted.

Weary

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++