WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

this sign issue has been brought up before. Shaw's had one pointing towards his place at the junction of the white and blue blazed trails near monson. nobody complained about that and it's obviously on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Here is something to think about. On the PCT there is Vermillion Valley resort in the Sierras, which sounds very similar to WHL. However they charge 7 or 8 bucks EACH way for the boat across the lake. And, they have a schedule with 2 ferries a day. So maybe WHL isn't so bad with their prices.

That being said, I haven't visited WHL or VVR and don't plan to visit either if I re-hike either trail.
    VVR doesn't charge for the bunk space in the 4-person tent cabins, figuring that hikers will spend on meals, laundry, phone/internet, and buying stuff in their store. I don't believe there's any prohibition on cooking your own food there so you can get by without spending much. Like WHL, many hikers bitch about the prices at VVR but I didn't find it unreasonable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    There are no public roads in the "wilderness." The land is all owned by the National Park Service. LOgging companies have easements for transporting logs in several locations. None of the easements allow for the posting of business signs.

Weary
    I am not so sure about that.

Private associations have gates at some of those roads and have been charging hikers a per person fee for the right to use them for years.

If private groups are charging hikers to use NPS land, then there is something really rotten going on.

Could you please set me straight if I am wrong?

Images

The only "sign" I saw on the AT for WHL was a business card on a tree near the road. There were wooden signs along the Maher Tote Rd which leads to the landing, but nothing on the AT.

http://www.northmainewoods.org/whatisnmw.html

Browse around here for info on how it all works, multiple use, multiple land owners etc,click on information for entrance fees and camping fees for those who choose to drive in to this gated area.

Rick B: Private associations have gates at some of those roads and have been charging hikers a per person fee for the right to use them for years.
    WALK ON

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I am not so sure about that.

Private associations have gates at some of those roads and have been charging hikers a per person fee for the right to use them for years.

If private groups are charging hikers to use NPS land, then there is something really rotten going on.

Could you please set me straight if I am wrong?
    The National Park Service owns the corridor, which generally is a thousand yards wide. Private companies own the land and roads leading to the corridor. They are free to charge whatever they want for the use of their roads. Some are free (mostly those coming in from Greenville.) Those leading from Route 11 between Brownville and Millinocket mostly have gates and charge money.

But the park service controls the roads in the corridor and their rules say no commercial advertising. I'm encouraged by the report that the only signs now are business cards in the shelters. That suggests to me that the visit from the National Park Service ranger from Harpers Ferry may have resolved the situation.

Of course the years of illegal signs have done the job the owner intended. WHL is no longer a mystery. Everyone knows and talks about it. Witness this thread.

Weary

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this sign issue has been brought up before. Shaw's had one pointing towards his place at the junction of the white and blue blazed trails near monson. nobody complained about that and it's obviously on the AT
    Hiking clubs are made up of reasonable people. We don't go out of our way to fight with the businesses along the trail that offer services to hikers. A tasteful sign leading to WHL probably would have ignored also.

Rather WHL originally posted a dozen blaze orange signs every few feet along the trail.

Weary

Hiking clubs are made up of reasonable people. We don't go out of our way to fight with the businesses along the trail that offer services to hikers. A tasteful sign leading to WHL probably would have ignored also.

Rather WHL originally posted a dozen blaze orange signs every few feet along the trail.

Weary
    So NPS rules regarding no commercial signs can be broken if the sign/signs are "tasteful"? I don't get it

What's "not to get" about a reasonable compromise? What loophole or arrangement allowed Rusty to put up signs right on the corridor about his place? I mean, if Weary's ok with it -- well, that's enough for me.

Stayed there one night in 2000. The lady handled the evening duties while the man cooked breakfast. Boat ride was free. One short blast, please. Had no problems with prices and I'm poor. DidI mention that the lady looked very good in jeans? Mean no disrespect!

litefoot 2000

Journal Entries

So NPS rules regarding no commercial signs can be broken if the sign/signs are "tasteful"? I don't get it
    Lone Wolf. There is only one ranger assigned to the 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Maintaining clubs kind of figure that he is busy. So most of us. particularly in my experience, Maine, don't complain except for blatant violations.

However, Lone Wolf, if you want more diligent enforcement, just send me a PM and I'll refer it to the park service -- or of course you can do it yourself.

Since maintainers are also for the most part hikers. we don't complain about every federal rule -- just those that offend us. What's your practice, LW?

Weary

Weary(post 94)-"My objection is simpler. WHL blatantly posted commercial messages in the trail corridor, thus ignoring national Park trail rules, and lied about doing so, and it continues to do so."
    Weary(post 106)-"...I'm encouraged by the report that the only signs now are business cards in the shelters. That suggests to me that the visit from the National Park Service ranger from Harpers Ferry may have resolved the situation.
    So has it been resolved or do they continue to do so? You can't have it both ways.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    So has it been resolved or do they continue to do so? You can't have it both ways.
    Of course. All I know for sure is that years of effort by MATC failed to resolve the violation. As I also said, I know that recently ATC and the NPS entered the fray. The first indication that they succeeded was the post that said the most blatant signs are down. I haven't been in the wilderness recently, so I don't know for sure.

Weary

Lone Wolf. There is only one ranger assigned to the 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Maintaining clubs kind of figure that he is busy. So most of us. particularly in my experience, Maine, don't complain except for blatant violations.

However, Lone Wolf, if you want more diligent enforcement, just send me a PM and I'll refer it to the park service -- or of course you can do it yourself.

Since maintainers are also for the most part hikers. we don't complain about every federal rule -- just those that offend us. What's your practice, LW?

Weary
    i don't have a practice and i don't care if folks advertise thier business at trailheads. it seems you have a dislike for WHL that goes beyond signage.

Images

Like you've never broken a rule??

Panzer

Journal Entries

i don't have a practice and i don't care if folks advertise thier business at trailheads. it seems you have a dislike for WHL that goes beyond signage.
    Multiple blaze orange business signs in the most remote section of the entire Appalachian Trail are simply inappropriate, as well as illegal. Yes, I have a dislike for WHL because its taken a decade to get the owner to recognize these simple facts, if in fact he finally does recognize the inappropriate nature of his practices.

Weary

Multiple blaze orange business signs in the most remote section of the entire Appalachian Trail are simply inappropriate, as well as illegal. Yes, I have a dislike for WHL because its taken a decade to get the owner to recognize these simple facts, if in fact he finally does recognize the inappropriate nature of his practices.

Weary
    well i disagree and i'm not going to argue with you. it's a non-issue and a minor infraction in the big picture. my opinion. end of discussion for me

Default To get his side of things...

And, just maybe to get him to examine how he does some things that rub hikers the wrong way, I dug up the e-mail address for WHL and sent them the link to this thread. I predict that he won't show, just as that Birmingham Chamber of Commerce guy who's pushing the Pinhoti as an AT extension ignored my lengthy, polite, thoughtful email, but we'll see...

Images

Multiple blaze orange business signs in the most remote section of the entire Appalachian Trail are simply inappropriate, as well as illegal.
    Why does he need signs? Wouldn't everyone who has a guide book already know about WHL?

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Why does he need signs? Wouldn't everyone who has a guide book already know about WHL?

Panzer
    Yes, but it's easy to miss the side trail without a sign or marking.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++