WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

I stopped at WHL going SOBO in 2008. I took a zero there and resupplied. I don't think I could have had a more positive experience. I plan on stopping there again this year and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

So if I were to stay at Abol Bridge camp site, then go to Rainbow Stream lean to which is like 15 miles away- then WHL is 15 miles from Rainbow Stream which means I would have to hike all day to reach the WHL boat pick up spot- would I be arriving there too late or is 15 miles of hiking still get me there early enough if i start early?
    I realize this is a vague question, Im just trying to figure out my stuff.
    Thanks for your patience team!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The books can list hostels and whatnot but they cannot direct you to the correct gap in the trees when you're walking by.
    It's one thing to hit Winding Stair Gap and know that heading east will take you to Franklin. It's entirely something else to pick out the correct unmarked "Tote Road" and be able to distinguish it from the dozen other unmarked logging roads in the area.

after namankanta stream campsite, ford two streams, the second is a cakewalk compared to the first, walk about a mile until you step into the road clearing. you'll know you're there when you wade into the biggest mud puddle in maine. head left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    isn't there a sign and marked trail to Harrison's Camps too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Never saw a sign per say. But it is advertised at the Pierce Pond shelter that I recall.
    that sign is on tim's property- not on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboyscott View Post
    My wife and i are headed north from monson in Sept. Does anyone know about how many miles from monson is the whitehouse landing. We're thinking of re-supplying there. Thanks, ponyboy
    Care to give a report on how your hike went? Just wondering. Sounds like a nice time to be there!

Here are a few pics below from Sept '04. Not me, but my daughter's hike.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    So if I were to stay at Abol Bridge camp site, then go to Rainbow Stream lean to which is like 15 miles away- then WHL is 15 miles from Rainbow Stream which means I would have to hike all day to reach the WHL boat pick up spot- would I be arriving there too late or is 15 miles of hiking still get me there early enough if i start early?
    Personally, I would take my time and get there the next morning between breakfast and lunch. Take a "Nero" there and fatten up on lunch, dinner and breakfast the next morning before heading back to the trail. The wilderness is amazing, take a little extra time and enjoy it. Also, allow for weather delays. As funny as that sounds, significant rain and mud can slow you down. Cheers!

Default It depends

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    I did that hike last August. For me, 12 miles a day was about right, so I arrived at White House Landing in time for lunch on the third day.

Shutterbug

I just watched a thruhike on YouTube (Evan)from 2018 and was happy to know the place was still open. I stayed in 2008 and found the place wonderful. There are many thruhikers that feel pretty entitled, who lack empathy and basically even at this late nobo still sleaze bags. It's surprising to me still, you'd think they would've learned on the long trek. So many great places have closed especially in the expensive mid section. WHL is unique, beautifully set and a joy. Grumpy owners ? Hah. I agree with all the fine put downs of such attitudes, well said.

I stayed 2 days before they closed this Oct at the end of my thru-hike. I thought the owners were very nice and friendly, the husband just seemed busy but they were cool. They were telling us how just doing lunch/resuply killed them having to go back and fourth across the lake all the time. They closed for some time and reopened to overnight hikers only now. People say stuff is pricey but I didn't think it was bad being in the middle of nowhere. The burger and homemade pizza are awesome. They also allow you to send a resupply to them for free, allowing plenty of time as they don't go to town often. That was perfect for me as Abol was closed so that resupply got me up Katahdin and then a few days hiking around the area till I got picked up. They now give you a complementary joint or cookie for staying and you could even get a little safety supply with a donation or buying a $40 lighter or something (all totally legal in ME)…. but the stuff really wasn't the greatest so I wouldn't look forward to counting on that. That's not a complaint though, awesome place and so cool of them to offer the free boat ride, resupply and a 'complimentary' for staying.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Trying to find some current information on White House Landing. Is there a website or other visual contact. to find current rates, facilities, etc. Trying to design a slack pack hike for the first 50-60 miles south of Baxter State Park. Is there a Harrison Camps?

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Trying to find some current information on White House Landing. Is there a website or other visual contact. to find current rates, facilities, etc. Trying to design a slack pack hike for the first 50-60 miles south of Baxter State Park. Is there a Harrison Camps?
    What is the Rainbow Lake Campsites metioned in AWOL at SoBo mile 26.3?

White House Landing no longer serves AT hikers.
    Is there a Harrison Camps?
    Yes. South of the Kennebec.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

What is the Rainbow Lake Campsites metioned in AWOL at SoBo mile 26.3?
    They're campsites on Rainbow Lake.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Trying to find some current information on White House Landing.
    Reach out to them on Facebook Messenger. Look up Whitehouse Landing Camps. That's how I contacted them last year. They were quite speedy with replies.

Opps, I meant AWOL 24.8 it says "Unmarked trail (.2 mi.) to Rainbow lake camps 'private.'"

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
++ New Posts ++