WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    So the beef with WHL has to do with direct competition with the MATC's approved AMC pro-huge-revenue recreational development at Little Lyford? 60 or 70 years ago, was it normal to pay $77 a night (tax not included) for a one-night bunk at a camp in Maine? And that's not even at the recently constructed main lodge! This anti-WHL crusade comes down to the MATC taking sides with the drive-up SUV/$80 Chardonnay set v. the hike-in boots/$8 burger bunch? ......
    Actually, Teej, as I'm sure you know, there's no connection whatsoever, between MATC's objection to illegal signs posted by WHL on National Park Service lands and AMC's protection of 37,000 acres of the 100-mile-wilderness.

WHL for years lessened the sense of wilderness in the area by posting commercial signs along the trail. AMC has enhanced the sense of wilderness by setting aside 10,000 acres for an ever wild preserve, and increased public enjoyment by building trails, constructing a new leanto shelter for hikers, and restoring several century-old sporting camps.

Weary

For the third straight year I've been through the area. Stopped the first year. Not since. It's on a hiking trail. It's good for hikers if they choose. Simply put.

A thread for the AMC's Little Lyford Pond Camps is located at:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...059#post670059
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Actually, Teej, as I'm sure you know, there's no connection whatsoever, between MATC's objection to illegal signs posted by WHL on National Park Service lands and AMC's protection of 37,000 acres of the 100-mile-wilderness.

WHL for years lessened the sense of wilderness in the area by posting commercial signs along the trail. AMC has enhanced the sense of wilderness by setting aside 10,000 acres for an ever wild preserve, and increased public enjoyment by building trails, constructing a new leanto shelter for hikers, and restoring several century-old sporting camps.

Weary
    The connection is that the AMC gives the MATC money, nothing wrong with that, but when someone gives you money it gets your attention. I seem to remeber quite a few signs directing hikers to certain, how do I say it, HUTS in the Whites. The AMC makes money from huts. Would that make them COMMERCIAL? Looks like your "sense of wilderness" is crumbling, but since it's the AMC it's OK. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    The connection is that the AMC gives the MATC money, nothing wrong with that, but when someone gives you money it gets your attention. I seem to remeber quite a few signs directing hikers to certain, how do I say it, HUTS in the Whites. The AMC makes money from huts. Would that make them COMMERCIAL? Looks like your "sense of wilderness" is crumbling, but since it's the AMC it's OK. Checkmate.
    The AMC is a non-profit org., they're good for the White mountains

I seem to remeber quite a few signs directing hikers to certain, how do I say it, HUTS in the Whites.
    Really? I remember the usual trail signs... but nothing special or unusual. I mean, there are trail signs all along the trail indicating distances to this-or-that shelter or campsite. I don't see where the AMC huts are (or should be) any different.

Journal Entries

Joy Street, (Boston) AMC has never given MATC any money that I know of. And I can't imagine it happening without my being aware of it, since I'm certainly involved with the MATC finances on a regular basis.

From time to time I ask the Maine Chapter, AMC, to make $500 donations from AMC member dues to the MATC, since the Maine Chapter has done very little over the decades towards significant trail maintenance, and MATC has done wonderful work on the trails that all AMC members use.

The signs to the huts in the Whites are entirely out of my per view. The so called "wilderness" we are talking about is 250 miles to the north in Maine. AMC in the Whites is totally controlled by the National Forest Service, which owns the land. That's one reason the club bought 37,000 acres -- to see if it could do better without "Big Brother" looking over their shoulders.

But the AMC, Forest SErvice seems to be an amicable relationship, so I've never spent a great deal of time thinking about it.

I really have never spent a great deal of time, analyzing the finances in the Whites. I do recall Forest SErvice testifying that it couldn't possibly manage the Whites without the help of AMC. I've yet to hear evidence to the contrary, so I assume the Forest Service testimony was accurate.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with WHL illegally posting signs on NPS lands in Maine.

Weary

Default whitehouse landing wilderness camp maine

My wife and i are headed north from monson in Sept. Does anyone know about how many miles from monson is the whitehouse landing. We're thinking of re-supplying there. Thanks, ponyboy

The road to White House landing is called the Mahar Tote Road. It is just over 68 and a half Trail miles from ME 15 (the Monson road/trailhead).

stopped by WHL last month on my hike. absolutely INCREDIBLE place! i ended up staying 3 days just because i loved the feel so much. bill and linda were more than friendly to me, in fact it was the closest thing to home that i've hit on the trail. as for the stories i've read here about bill being grumpy, well, if someone's an ass to me, i'm usually going to give it right back to them and i don't suspect he's any different. lots of thru-hikers have an entitlement problem. he (they both) showed me the utmost respect and friendliness and went way out of their way to make my stay perfect. the pizza is fantastic, the facilites are unbelievably clean, the beer is cold, and considering how far out they are, the prices are far more than reasonable. it's just one of those places i'll visit again and again when i'm up doing that section.

Can anyone tell me how far into the 100 mile wilderness Mahar Tote Road is? Looking through the AT Data Book 2009, there is NO info on this road or resupply stop, but shouldnt there be?
    Going SoBo Im considering this as a place to resupply or stay but I am just not sure how far it is from Abol bridge?

Thanks team!
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    stopped by WHL last month on my hike. absolutely INCREDIBLE place! i ended up staying 3 days just because i loved the feel so much. bill and linda were more than friendly to me, in fact it was the closest thing to home that i've hit on the trail. as for the stories i've read here about bill being grumpy, well, if someone's an ass to me, i'm usually going to give it right back to them and i don't suspect he's any different. lots of thru-hikers have an entitlement problem. he (they both) showed me the utmost respect and friendliness and went way out of their way to make my stay perfect. the pizza is fantastic, the facilites are unbelievably clean, the beer is cold, and considering how far out they are, the prices are far more than reasonable. it's just one of those places i'll visit again and again when i'm up doing that section.
    My favorite place on the entire AT!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    Can anyone tell me how far into the 100 mile wilderness Mahar Tote Road is? Looking through the AT Data Book 2009, there is NO info on this road or resupply stop, but shouldnt there be?
    Going SoBo Im considering this as a place to resupply or stay but I am just not sure how far it is from Abol bridge?

Thanks team!
    It's about 30 miles from Abol.
    Stumpknocker

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    It's about 30 miles from Abol.
    Thanks...so if Abol bridge is 15 miles from Mt. K, does it make sense for me to start my hike with 3-4 days worth of food, go to WHL and resupply there for the rest of the 100 mile (70 miles left)?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Thanks team!
    it's 30.9 miles from abol bridge. listed in the Data Book as Logging Road (C,L,M 1m E)

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    In 2008 I stopped by there. Bill wasn't feeling too well (he suffers from gout, if I'm remembering correctly, and is in pain much of the time).

We all need to think about what is bugging others before we let them bug us (it's called having compassion).

Whitehouse Landing is a wonderful place. I only stopped there to avoid the remnants of a tropical storm (on my wife's insistance).
    Glad I did.
    AND......... we all have bad days - even when we TRY our best.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Thanks...so if Abol bridge is 15 miles from Mt. K, does it make sense for me to start my hike with 3-4 days worth of food, go to WHL and resupply there for the rest of the 100 mile (70 miles left)?
    They have limited resupply. You can save a few days of food, but depending upon how many days you plan to take to hike the 70 miles, I wouldn't figure on getting more than 2-3 days of resupply.

Unless you don't mind eating the same foods.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

I always leave there packing a full pizza wrapped up in my pack.

I always resupply there too with no problems for a sobo.
    Stumpknocker

Images

WHL is awsome, great food, fun boat ride, canoes to take out on the lake to see katadin, wood fired cabin to stay in, hot showers, AT book and mag library. not cheap but how can you put a price on an oasis in the 100 mile wilderness. when i got there in '06 i wasn't planning on stopping until i fell off a bog bridge into a mud pit and was waist deep in slop with my long johns on and had no other clothes. the have a wash bin and a laundry mangle as well. you only have to pay for the food you eat, showers and lodging. they take credit cards too. very nice people and i would go back in a heartbeat if i was given the opportunity. hope you stop in and enjoy this piece of AT history

Images

Treefingers, your description of falling off bog bridges, brings back memories.... bogs, not so pleasant... WHL, great!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++