WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Actually I think the moral of story is that the Park needs to improve its communications. When those 3 guys made their reservations, did the Park tell them they might not actually get in the shelter and they should plan accordingly? Was it clear either from talking to the Park or from their documents e'.g. the permits themselves or the website. Right now the Park website is down so I couldn't check. But again as already discussed in this thread, both short-term hikers with reservations and true thruhikers have legitimate claims on shelter space and under the Park rules, overbooking is entirely possible; it fact, it's to be expected in Spring.
    I tried making a reservation just this past week and I was informed that even if I had a reservation, that I needed to carry some sort of shelter, especially in the fall/winter for emergencies for myself or others who may have to emergency stay in the shelter.

By not getting a name correct at this threads creation says a lot about the person creating said thread. Especially, when it comes to something as important and as well known as the GSMNP.

In response to several posts about litter in the GSMNP, especially around shelters and privies: I find the panoramic views of the park as spectacular, the up close ones most often fall quite short of spectacular, even repulsive in some instances.

One thing for sure, if you are gonna come on White Blaze as an "expert", you better know your stuff.

Hand-holding yuppies on dayhikes does not garner instant cred.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

You] might want to do a little work on sentence structure before you start throwing stones in that particular glass house!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

Hand-holding yuppies on dayhikes does not garner instant cred.
    Should day hikers carry tents?

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    You] might want to do a little work on sentence structure before you start throwing stones in that particular glass house!!!
    The universal sign that one is out of useful info........

ignored.......

For non thru hikers:

If any of you are interested, here are the official rules and regs:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...untry-regs.htm

Backpackers and hikers are subject to all Backcountry Rules and Regulations. Failure to abide by park regulations may subject you to a fine under Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. Maximum fine for each violation is $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail.

Backcountry Rules and Regulations
    1. You must possess a backcountry permit while camping in the backcountry.
    2. Camping is permitted only at designated sites and shelters.
    3. Use of reserved sites and shelters must be confirmed through the Backcountry Reservation Office.
    4. You may stay up to three consecutive nights at a site. You may not stay two nights in a row at a shelter.
    5. Maximum camping party size is eight persons.
    6. Open fires are prohibited except at designated sites. Use only wood that is dead and on the ground. Use only established fire rings.
    7. The use of tents at shelters is prohibited.
    8. Food storage: When not being consumed or transported, all food and trash must be suspended at least 10 feet off the ground and four feet from the nearest limb or trunk, or shall be stored as otherwise designated.
    9. Toilet use must be at least 100 feet from a campsite or water source and out of sight of the trail. Human feces must be buried in a six-inch-deep hole.
    10. All trash must be carried out.
    11. All plants, wildlife, and natural and historic features are protected by law. Do not carve, deface, or cut any trees or shrubs.
    12. Polluting park waters is prohibited. Do not wash dishes or bathe with soap in a stream.
    13. Pets, motorized vehicles, and bicycles are not permitted in the backcountry.

I was told by a lady at the backcountry office at the Sugarlands VC that when I was doing my thru next year that I can use my tent beside the shelter if the shelter is full.

Wow, even dead horses get tired of getting beat.

Long distance (and thru-hikers) have been permitted to tent immediately adjacent to full shelters for years in the Park.

To suggest that there is an absolute, blanket prohibition on tent camping in GSMNP by all visitiors is simply false.

This argument needs to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Long distance (and thru-hikers) have been permitted to tent immediately adjacent to full shelters for years in the Park.
    I don't know why she insists on posting incorrect/incomplete information. She made no mention of thru hikers in that "expert post".

She has been a HORRIBLE source of information.

Sigh, I give up. You guys win.

It's not a matter of "winning" or losing, Vesna.

You repeatedly said things here that are provably untrue.

And doing this benefits nobody, especially when your coming here in the first place was allegedly to dispel "incorrect" information.

Much of what you had to say in your original post had merit. But your repeated comments about tenting (and your suggesting that people simply forego them in GSMNP) was simply wrong. It was bad advice.

What a pity you have such a problem with simply acknowledging this so we can move on.

It's not a matter of "winning" or losing, Vesna.

You repeatedly said things here that are provably untrue.

And doing this benefits nobody, especially when your coming here in the first place was allegedly to dispel "incorrect" information.

Much of what you had to say in your original post had merit. But your repeated comments about tenting (and your suggesting that people simply forego them in GSMNP) was simply wrong. It was bad advice.

What a pity you have such a problem with simply acknowledging this so we can move on.
    She made an edit on the post to UN-include thru hikers.

She posts incorrect information, gets called on it, and then makes an edit to clean up her mess.

She added "For non thru hikers:" since our posts........

Yes, I did because I wanted to clarify my post to avoid yet another misunderstanding! I admit it!!!!! This however, is exactly how the Park service site reads so I guess they are guilty of posting incorrect information. I just added something to clarify their website.

To suggest that there is an absolute, blanket prohibition on tent camping in GSMNP by all visitiors is simply false.
    I doubt anyone said that. Would be absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesna View Post
    Yes, I did because I wanted to clarify my post to avoid yet another misunderstanding! I admit it!!!!! This however, is exactly how the Park service site reads so I guess they are guilty of posting incorrect information. I just added something to clarify their website.
    Like I mentioned before. You better know what you are posting here before you hit "enter".

This audience is not the yuppies you are used to.

I think cutting and pasting directly from the Park's website is as accurate as it gets and may actually help some of the folks who come to the Smokies, yuppies and non yuppies alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesna View Post
    I think cutting and pasting directly from the Park's website is as accurate as it gets and may actually help some of the folks who come to the Smokies, yuppies and non yuppies alike.
    BUT, if you hadn't been corrected, that your information was for section hikers and NOT thru hikers, it could/would confuse future thrus.

Do you not see that?

Whatever she may or may not have said, I think Vesna's original post here was well-intentioned, and she did, in fact, correct/edit something that was said in error.

Maybe it's time to move on, folks.

And for thru-hikers the NP site reads ...

"The use of tents at shelters is prohibited except by persons
    qualifying as
    thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail (by
    definition an Appalachian thru-hiker is a backpacker who is
    using the Appalachian Trail exclusively while in the park
    and whose trip begins and ends a minimum of fifty miles
    outside the park). Thru-hikers may pitch tents outside

shelters only when all bunks are otherwise occupied."

It is unrealistic to expect thru-hikers to obtain advance
    reservations when they do not know when they will be
    entering the park."

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upl...Compendium.pdf (page 10)

Are we done yet???

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++