WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I would no sooner inquire about a house guest's religion any more than I'd ask him to tell me his annual income.
    Or touch their woodstove. Must be a Northeast thing.

Sad this thread is needed. I'm not into the grace thing at a meal, but can wait and follow a host's lead.

Images

There are ways to deal with religion that don't involve being intrusive, or rude, if you're willing to learn about people.

I'm sitting outside the door of the Blueberry Patch bunkhouse, reading my small Bible. I brought it because I wondered what it would be like to read it cover to cover, and couldn't find anything else that small with as many words. Not saying anything. Gary walks past and says, "Enjoying your reading?" I nod and say, "Yup." He mentions he's on his way to lead a Bible study session, and I notice that he's got a Baptist Church flyer with his papers. I remark that I'm an Episcopalian (which, to some people, including other Anglicans, isn't a religion at all), and he says, "Hey, anybody who can read is welcome." I'm not doing anything that night, so I figure, "What can it hurt?" Off we go to the local fire hall, where I meet some firefighters who belong to his church, and for an hour we have a great time, as well as some basic quality firefighter chow. I ended up learning a bit of interesting Bible interpretation, met some great people I otherwise would never know, got a free feed, and saw a part of life that I wasn't familiar with. And I'm still a heathen Anglican, whatever that is. So I didn't catch cooties or forced to drink lemonade or anything else.

People have a lot of ways of welcoming strangers, and letting them do that is part of the beauty of the Trail for those of us who are, sometimes, in a strange land.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I brought it because I wondered what it would be like to read it cover to cover, and couldn't find anything else that small with as many words. . .
    I did the same thing, sort of. I'm not particularly religious at all, but I read like crazy. I was in a shelter in the Smokies and had finished a book and there was a small Bible that had been left at the shelter. I'd never read it cover to cover and decided to give it a try.

I wasn't a big fan of some of the early chapters, but overall it was good. I did have to politely work my way out of getting into a few theological discussions. It makes sense that people seeing someone reading a Bible would assume they were religious, though, so I was fine with that.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

"...there was small Bible that had been left at the shelter."

Oh, my! Here we go!!!! (Going to the kitchen for popcorn 'cause it's gonna be a great show here.)

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

"...there was small Bible that had been left at the shelter."

Oh, my! Here we go!!!! (Going to the kitchen for popcorn 'cause it's gonna be a great show here.)

TW
    Anyone who wants to get their knickers in a twist about that should start their own thread about it.

Images

Jester, you can't be unfamiliar with the "don't leave things in a shelter, especially Bibles" threads. Oh my goodness.

TW

Jester, you can't be unfamiliar with the "don't leave things in a shelter, especially Bibles" threads. Oh my goodness.

TW
    Oh, I'm familiar with them. I just don't think it's necessary to turn this into one, considering that this thread isn't about Bibles or shelters.

Images

Thanks. I agree.

Images

Thought for a moment you might have done an accidental pot-stir. My apologies.

TW

Jack:

Unfortunately, what you posted initially needs to be told to the small percentage of hikers. Can we work to get it posted in all hostels along the trail? Can't hurt, and might help.

Thanks for posting.

Peaks:

It's all well and good to post something like this, which is why I do it every few years.

I think it's useful information, especially for the guys heading out next year.

On the other hand, I know very well that in many cases, it's pointless giving out these sorts of suggestions, as normal, decent people don't need to be told about this sort of thing, i.e. proper behavior, and people that act inappropriately aren't likely to alter their actions because of something they saw on the Internet a year before their trip.

Or as my dad once said when he overheard me trying to give advice to a friend:

"Be leery of giving too much advice to people. Wise men men don't need it; foolish people will ignore it. All too often, you're wasting your time".

Like everything else, he was probably right. Nevertheless, there's always that one chance......it's really easy to do the RIGHT thing out there, and a few nudges or suggestions can't hurt.

Images

But yes, it makes sense to make it clear what is rude behavior, even though it may not make a difference.

TW

Images

I think this is a good post even for people who "don't need it" cause it's a nice reminder.
    For example, I didn't realize how bad my pack smelled until about 3 days after my last AT trip; I store my pack (right or wrong) in my van, I got home & tossed the nearly empty pack in it's box, 3 days later, I left for work "OMG what is that stench?!?" Yep, it was my pack. We all should be aware that our clothing & bodies smell,,, Really Really BAD most times, but it's easy to forget the funk that builds up on our packs & sleeping gear*. And being accustomed to it, we don't notice.

*So, go stick your head in your sleeping bag or quilt now, inhale. Heck, even my hammock needs a bath sometimes.

Thanks for posting Jack!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I haven't (as yet) read anything of this thread other than the title but I have a great appreciation for the topic and it is one of importance to the thru-hiker community.

Hostels on the trail have shut down because hikers were not complying with the guidelines of use. It's a shame when someone's generosity is taken advantage of or disrespected. I only hope that those who could will discover this thread and be open to the suggestions herein.

Quote Originally Posted by The Will View Post
    Hostels on the trail have shut down because hikers were not complying with the guidelines of use.
    It's not fun having to deal with bad manners from hikers for months on end, but I'd rather do this then anything else.
    The bandages in the shower irks me and stealing my TP is another. I'm going to have to enforce the lights out at X time cause hikers just don't get it.
    Cussing in front of my children? I've had to correct a few for that one.
    Thanks Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Anyone who wants to get their knickers in a twist about that should start their own thread about it.
    Somehow this phrase, or variations of it, is finding it's way into more and more threads. Even ones where there is no twisting or wadding involved

for instance, i just left "The Place" a half hour ago where i caught some hikers blatantly drinkin' Yuengling in a bottle in the living room 10 feet from a big sign that states no alcohol allowed on the premises. all the signs and threads likes this are meaningless

Images

and if your hosts have wall-banging sex, the proper response is to watch the playboy channel as they recommended.
    hey hey, my my

Images

great post jack. as an addendum, inappropriate conduct by a host or hostess (exposing themselves in an inappropriate manner) is a perfectly reasonable excuse to sleep on the lawn.
    hey hey, my my

Default A different perspective.....

In case anyone out there thought I was being a bit hard here on hikers and their behavior in people's homes, I decided to write the flip side to this thread, i.e. some ideas on what one can do in order to be a better hiker HOST.

Some of you may want to check out this new thread and I hope some of you add to it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++