WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Crusher hat

Default Crusher hat

Anyone remember the "crusher" hat? If you were hiking back in the 60's and 70's, it is likely you used to have one.

I was suprised to find out they are still made and a local store had some! Whats a crusher hat? It is a 100% wool felt hat, with a 2" wide brim all the way around. Made by EFFANEM. You can fold it in half, roll it up and stick it in a side pocket when your not wearing it. A great hat for spring and fall use.

I had a red one years ago and lost it somewhere along the way. I'm now have a nice new green one
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Do you have a link for that? I searched on EFFANEM but didn't find much. I like felt hats--got a crushable one like this: http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2_22_262

great hat, but it's too nice to hike in.

I found it at Labonville in Gorham, NH. They are a logger supply outfit. Just checked thier on line catalog and its not listed there. Maybe its just something this store happened to pick up. The on line catalog did have a neat rabbit fur "mad bomber" hat - makes you look like a French-Canadian trapper of old.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I used to wear them hiking all the time. I might buy a blaze orange one for hiking in hunting season. Here's a source: http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/mm...ry_Code=ICEHAT

Images

Grandpa's ole fishing cap....oh...your 66 sorry
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I used to wear them hiking all the time. I might buy a blaze orange one for hiking in hunting season. Here's a source: http://www.johnsonwoolenmills.com/mm...ry_Code=ICEHAT
    Thanks for the link. I thought they were a thing of the past,I have owned many...back when they $4 .Damn,I am getting old.

Would go perfectly with a Kelty pack and SVEA. And all wool clothes, of course.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Thanks for the link. I thought they were a thing of the past,I have owned many...back when they $4 .Damn,I am getting old.
    $29!

For that much, I'd rather have a Mad Bomber. Those are slick when it is gawdawful rat nasty out. Got a synthetic one to try out this Winter.

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought a hat that looks like one the Blues Bros wore, at Wal-Mart for $10.00 Fun, fun!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

:banana Smart-A** young punk!...

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Would go perfectly with a Kelty pack and SVEA. And all wool clothes, of course.
    Still looking for the wool hiking clothes.

Optimus 8R stove...still have it and a Kelty Tioga. Need it to carry the 1 quart fuel bottle, hatchet and canned food for the hike.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

As faar as I know, the crusher's don't necessarily need to be wool. I simply know them as wide-brim "floppy hats" that easily fold (or crush if you prefer) into a small size, easily stuffed into a small place. They're comfortable and provide considerable face and neck protection from excessive sun/rain.

I got mine at Gander Mountain and, yup, still wear it!

Happy Trails!
    Faarside aka WhiteHorse

"... The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep... Miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Still looking for the wool hiking clothes.

Optimus 8R stove...still have it and a Kelty Tioga. Need it to carry the 1 quart fuel bottle, hatchet and canned food for the hike.
    Still available

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/bro...y=MM_cat140030
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Smile link much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Mudcap, thanks from me also for the link to crusher hats. I had searched the kingdom and pretty well given up before stumbling on your two-year old post. Piccadilly

Default oops

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Technicalities--Sorry, Snowleopard, just sent an email w/credit to Mudcap for the link to crusher hats at Johnson Woolen Mills; see now it was you who sent it, so thanks to you. Piccadilly.

Haha, my local knitting store just got in a bunch of hat frames so that people could make those wool felt hats. I laughed at it, but they were long before my time.
    Credendo Vides

++ New Posts ++