Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default PCT Class of 2010

Just thought it might be nice to get a feel for who I'll be hiking around this spring on the PCT. Here's a little about me:

Trailname: Viewfinder
    Start date: May 1 or 2

Currently a grad student in Idaho. I hiked a section of the AT back in 2008 and fell in love with long distance backpacking.

I look forward to hearing from some of my fellow PCT hikers!

Images

Ahhhh Viewfinder! It's Time Traveler, we met around Hot Springs. I guess we'll be crossing paths again real soon. This time around I'm bringing my boyfriend and my brother along (hope the guys can cut it).

So I'll be starting as soon as my spring semester is over, around the first week of May. Until then I'm workin on getting my lazy college-student-butt in gear.

Cheers!

Hey Time Traveler!!! It'll be great to see a familiar face out there! And I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one starting a week or so after the kick-off.

My wife and I are contemplating it after the AT this year.

I'll be hitting the trail April 20 or shortly thereafter. I can't wait to meet all the other lunatics!

I'm planning on going SOBO starting July 1. I haven't done a long thru hike since doing the A.T. in '76. Been doing lots of weekend hikes here in the Smokies and on the Mtns-to-Sea Tr. to condition and get used to new gear. My best wishes to all you NOBO's - I hope I get the chance to meet all you guys semewhere in Oregon.

I'm hoping we'll be on the PCT in 2010. We attempted a hike this year, but Jim tore his menisucus and we had to go home for surgery. Then he had some serious foot issues that made a return to the trail impossible. A cortisone shot seems to have improved the foot, so it it lasts, we're planning to head west again. Not sure whether we'll rehike the sections (Big Bear to Walker Pass) we hiked last year or not -- we'll see when we get there. I enjoyed the desert more than I expected but it may improve our chances of finishing to cut the distance by 400 miles.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I'll be out there starting around the kickoff, maybe a few days earlier. I hiked the AT this year and i know of about 7 others who will be out there on the PCT in 2010.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I'm hoping we'll be on the PCT in 2010. We attempted a hike this year, but Jim tore his menisucus and we had to go home for surgery. Then he had some serious foot issues that made a return to the trail impossible. A cortisone shot seems to have improved the foot, so it it lasts, we're planning to head west again. Not sure whether we'll rehike the sections (Big Bear to Walker Pass) we hiked last year or not -- we'll see when we get there. I enjoyed the desert more than I expected but it may improve our chances of finishing to cut the distance by 400 miles.
    I loved that section -- I hope you get to do it again without it hurting the rest of the trip!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Viewfinder
    Hey it's Thorny. Good to see that you're still hiking.
    I have hopes of doing the PCT in 2011.
    How you been?

Hey Thorny!!!!! I'm doing great, just itching to get back to hiking! How about you? Why not pushing your hike up a year? Have you been able to start your store?

Images

PCT section hiker here. I too was amazed at the beauty of the desert.

Loved the views, cowboy camping and great trail towns of CA.

I should be starting right around the kickoff party. Hiked the AT this year and finished on September 13. I can't wait to get back on trail. Also, I hope that's the Chance that I hiked with through the Whites! What's up guy! Good to see your still going through with the PCT. See ya out there!
    Strong hearts soar through blindness, Tearing the fog, Tearing the eyes to clarity. To a place where truth is scene.

I'm so happy when I hear people enjoyed the Southern California section. So many people dread it and think of it as something to endure until the "real" hike begins.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Well, I'm thru hiking the AT starting in February 2010, and I think I'll probably do a 1 1/2 or 2 month section of the PCT in summer 2011. Good luck!

Myself and 3 of my friends are thinking of starting in early April......Maybe the first week of April. Never been west. Did 850 miles of the AT in 08. Just wondering if anybody starts that early and why more people don't. I know most start around the kick off. We are used to heavy snow. Some of us were born and raised in the snowbelt area near Buffalo,Ny. and Erie Pa. ect. Any advice?

Images

I want to...I want to......I want to.......I want to......

Hell, I'm gonna have to! I stopped hiking but I haven't stopped eatting and by spring..I'm gonna need to take a walk.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Fire Marshall:
    There are always a dozen or so who start the trail in early April. Many section hikers do so. The plus side is there is usually more water then. Also you are ahead of the herd. Downside is snow on the trail. Certainly above Idylwild and at Mt. Baden Powell, possibly on Mt. Laguna, only two or three days into the hike.

Then there are the Sierras. Generally, the best time to enter the Sierras is after June 15th. Starting April 1, you end up arriving in the high mountains at the end of May, so you may have to deal with snow and snowmelt and navigation issues for several weeks. Since resupply options are a long distance apart in the southern Sierras, having more snow means having to carry a very heavy pack. As you know, you don't make big miles when you're dealing with a lot of snow.

Many hikers think that they can hike slowly in the desert, so they start early, but reality is that the lack of water forces you to hike fairly big miles, from the start (or carry a very heavy pack). The way to reconcile leaving early with reaching the Sierras in mid-June is to take a lot of time off in the towns in southern California. That creates other problems. Last year several hikers who didn't want to deal with the snow that still lingered in June flipped to Belden or Chester and then hiked south through the Sierras. Nice if you can work out the transportation, but not easy if you don't have vehicle support.

We do plan having alot of extra time off,and yes we thought that there would be more water starting off early. Been doing as much research as we can. Always welcome advice of course. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Fire Marshall:
    There are always a dozen or so who start the trail in early April. Many section hikers do so. The plus side is there is usually more water then. Also you are ahead of the herd. Downside is snow on the trail. Certainly above Idylwild and at Mt. Baden Powell, possibly on Mt. Laguna, only two or three days into the hike.

Then there are the Sierras. Generally, the best time to enter the Sierras is after June 15th. Starting April 1, you end up arriving in the high mountains at the end of May, so you may have to deal with snow and snowmelt and navigation issues for several weeks. Since resupply options are a long distance apart in the southern Sierras, having more snow means having to carry a very heavy pack. As you know, you don't make big miles when you're dealing with a lot of snow.

Many hikers think that they can hike slowly in the desert, so they start early, but reality is that the lack of water forces you to hike fairly big miles, from the start (or carry a very heavy pack). The way to reconcile leaving early with reaching the Sierras in mid-June is to take a lot of time off in the towns in southern California. That creates other problems. Last year several hikers who didn't want to deal with the snow that still lingered in June flipped to Belden or Chester and then hiked south through the Sierras. Nice if you can work out the transportation, but not easy if you don't have vehicle support.

Images

April 26th is my plane ride to sandiego... 27th or 29th on the PCT!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++