WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default base layer for cold weather

I am interested in your experiences with cold weather base layers not only for hiking (really just in camp at night) but watching football in Nov. and Dec. My Capilene 2 combined with sythetic long underwear isn't doing the job. Campmor has Terramar Thermawool shirt for $30 or a Patagonia Capilene 4 at $85. Any other suggestions?

I saw a thread like this a while back. One guy said these worked well.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/stor...lack_Thermals_

-

the base layer is more for wicking than warmth combine it with a insulating layer and an outer wind/water shell

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    the base layer is more for wicking than warmth combine it with a insulating layer and an outer wind/water shell
    Exactly. For sitting around, forget about the base layer and concentrate on the serious insulation. Also consider conductive heat loss, through your feet and butt--get good socks and a good insulated pad.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default I followed that link

But it took me to a cotton blend underwear?? Is someone still wearing cotton in the winter? Ouch.

"These black thermal underwear are made of a poly/cotton circular knit."

But on a positive note - cotton makes a great fire starter.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.

I'm a big fan of merino wool. Icebreaker is one line that uses merino wool. Best to find this stuff on sale in the off season. I recently bought a pair and tested them up north, kept me warm and dry the whole weekend. Got down to 16 degrees one of the nights, and supposedly they do a decent job at keeping the funk smell to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    I'm a big fan of merino wool. Icebreaker is one line that uses merino wool. Best to find this stuff on sale in the off season. I recently bought a pair and tested them up north, kept me warm and dry the whole weekend. Got down to 16 degrees one of the nights, and supposedly they do a decent job at keeping the funk smell to a minimum.
    Another vote for merino wool. I was a reluctant convert because of the price but I found that I use it more than anything else once there is a chill in the air. I sometimes add heavy duo-fold bottoms as a 2nd layer in winter if I'm going to be sitting awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    Minus 33 100% Merino Wool. Great base layer, or best base layer ever?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

For stationary cold weather use, I like my Icebreaker 260-weight wool top. Expensive, and kinda heavy, though. I also like my microfleece zip tee that I got at the REI garage sale for less than $4. Lighter than the Icebreaker, and I think a little warmer. That's the one that goes hiking with me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've got an icebreaker 320 hoodie...originally 180 ridiculous dollars, got it for 70. Am very happy with the purchase. I've used the patagonia capilenes, and they arent a bad little item either, but now I've fully converted to the merino side like jim put it. No going back now.

Journal Entries
    Images

My vote's with bamboo.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

My base layer is always polypro. I've got several different brands. Then, I just layer up from there depending on the temperature and how hard I'm working.

Craft Pro Zero base layers.

I've been using them for years

http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_br...egory=12&sex=m

You might also look at their Pro-Warm line but I've not used those

http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_br...egory=33&sex=m

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Don't forget a good and appropriate hat!

For sitting around? A nice thick one. Moving? A thin one (I swap in a thick hat and a thin polypro balaclava I can roll up as appropriate)

Probably the most important piece of clothing to regulate your body temp IMO.

/it's snowing!
    //came back from a run in the snow where I wore a light hat that is always stashed in the closet
    ///I have another potential job prospect
    ////..and other things putting me in a good mood
    ///// I'll shut up now
    Last edited by Mags; 10-28-2009 at 16:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    ////..and other things putting me in a good mood
    Must be a woman (or two).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

Warmth has not been an issue too often while hiking except head, feet and hands. I don't get too concerned with keeping warm, but rather not carrying or weari g stuff I will be taking off twenty minutes in. I use UA coldgear on top and that's it mostly, now at camp, I like to be prepared, I carry great wool unders and many layers. And spare socks. I am a little different but I hate being hot. I hiked in a driving chilly rainstorm on the trail last weeekend and I took off the raincoat ten minutes in and took off my shirt twenty minutes later. Cutaway my lower legs to my pants within an hour. I hiked 16 more miles, soaked, sure, and the next day I hiked a dozen more in wet boots, but it wasn't too bad.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++