WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First AT Hike, Seem Reasonable?

My friend and I are doing our first AT hike soon and I just wanted to see if this seemed reasonable.

I'm trying to decide on a schedule and I'd like to go from Springer Mtn. to the North Carolina border in 6-7 days. Does that seem like a decent time frame?

Images

it can be done.
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by riscphree View Post

I'm trying to decide on a schedule and I'd like to go from Springer Mtn. to the North Carolina border in 6-7 days. Does that seem like a decent time frame?
    yes. it's a good time frame

Images

thats a good time frame but unless your in really good shape your not going to get there, just sayin.....slow down and take 8 or 9 days, its worth it!!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Agree take your time, but you do have youth on your side.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Garlic
    Images

It's only about 80 miles. If you have decent weather and can actually get out and hike most of the day, every day, no problem. If you like to lie around until noon and stop by four pm, maybe not, though. If you take three days off at Neels Gap, maybe not. And you didn't mention when you were starting. If you start in late March or April, you should have good enough weather and long enough days to make the miles. Best of luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds good, In Oct I walked Springer to Dicks Creek Gap in about 5 days (20 lb Pack w/food). That is only about 8 or so miles south of the line. I did not stop and hangout just walked all day stop for pics that's it. I would say you could do it but if your not in shape you will be hurting by the 3rd day.
    I don't know

Thanks guys. It's not a race, so I think we'll take more time to enjoy the scenery, say maybe 8-9 days.

Images

My hiking partner and I took 8 days to walk from Blue Ridge Gap to AFSP, though we did the Approach Trail on the last day, which added 9 miles. This was a comfortable pace, we thought.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I did my first AT hike at the beginning of Sept. from Springer to Deep Gap, NC. I started Saturday before lunch and got to the GA/NC border mid-morning on Friday, so it took 7 days and I had plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. I was definitely hurting by day 3, though.

Images

Thumbs up

It's about 72 miles as I recall and 10 miles a day is perfectly do-able with enough daylight hours.

You might want to check with the Georgia AT Club, a great bunch who are very helpful with such questions, up-to-date info, and advice.

Don't forget, you can't conveniently get off the trail at the GA/NC border, so you'll have to go into NC to Deep Gap or backtrack into GA.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++