WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nature: Survival not serene

Comments I read in threads involving negative encounters with wildlife, whether it be ticks or canines, illustrate that we, who are suppose to be outdoorsy types, ARE NOT and completely ignorant of nature. Many seem to think nature is a spiritual experience – it’s NOT, it is only about survival in the most basic sense, anything else is just some internal fantasy waiting to meet reality.

Hmmm,.............I bet Henry David Thoreau would disagree with that assessment.

i disagree but not totally. there are alot of flakes that do live in that fantasy realm, however, i find, personally, that the ultimately violent nature of nature makes my love of the wild all that more poignant. the fact that i need to know how to actually survive in case i find myself in a bad situation while i'm out in the woods is part of what makes hiking a spiritual experience for me.

hehehe....you said poignant.

Garlic
    Images

I agree with that appraisal, but before it scares some AT hiker's poor mother, consider that the same applies for every aspect of life. A serene Sunday drive can turn deadly around any curve, a peaceful walk in an urban park can become a crime scene at any time. A slip and fall in the home can change your life in an instant.

Life is full of risks, all of it, and you can't sit home simpering and afraid. Do all you can to minimize the risks--situation awareness, wear seat belts, buy a car with airbags, carry pepper spray, whatever gets you out there enjoying it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Comments I read in threads involving negative encounters with wildlife, whether it be ticks or canines, illustrate that we, who are suppose to be outdoorsy types, ARE NOT and completely ignorant of nature. Many seem to think nature is a spiritual experience – it’s NOT, it is only about survival in the most basic sense, anything else is just some internal fantasy waiting to meet reality.
    Just because people can perceive some events as being negative that does not negate the perceptions of positive events in nature. I don't understand how you arrive at the conclusion that we are ignorant of nature just because we percevieve some events as being negative. Regardless, of how events are witnessed, I don't follow you when you say we are ignorant of nature. And, maybe because YOU don't have a spiritual experience when connecting with nature doesn't mean others don't make a spiritual connection. Of course, if you don't accept that you are a spiritual being or that there is a spiritual dimension of life you are not going to understand or even accept that others connect to nature on a spiritual level. If nature is simply about survival, in your way of thinking, than that's all it will ever be.

Default Good Point!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ............ If nature is simply about survival, in your way of thinking, than that's all it will ever be.
    Well said Dogwood. In many respects "survival" on the AT means whether or not you can make the AYCE in the next town before it closes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just enjoy the moment, I see lots of animals on the least traveled trails and this provides the greatest memories of the trail along with the views.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I agree with that appraisal, but before it scares some AT hiker's poor mother, consider that the same applies for every aspect of life. A serene Sunday drive can turn deadly around any curve, a peaceful walk in an urban park can become a crime scene at any time. A slip and fall in the home can change your life in an instant.

Life is full of risks, all of it, and you can't sit home simpering and afraid. Do all you can to minimize the risks--situation awareness, wear seat belts, buy a car with airbags, carry pepper spray, whatever gets you out there enjoying it.

I agree...you could fall off the couch and break your neck while reaching for your beer.....I say go for it!
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Nature should be enjoyed and respected at the same time. It's not there simply for a great scenic photo op or for you to commune with tha animals and plants (can you commune with plants?). It has it's own purpose and it cares not if you are a witness, participant or a victim--hence the reason to respect it. Like fire it's a really nice thing to have around but you don't go sticking you hand in it now do you?
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    Like fire it's a really nice thing to have around but you don't go sticking you hand in it now do you?
    Very nicely put!

Images

Many seem to think nature is a spiritual experience – it’s NOT, it is only about survival in the most basic sense, anything else is just some internal fantasy waiting to meet reality.
    Ah see, you are confusing "nature" with "life". Existence itself is a spiritual experience brought about by the ability to survive. Wildlife is the ulimate expression of that and to have the opportunity to be there to witness it firsthand is much more fulfilling than anything a 'spiritual leader' could tell me.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

and it can't be both, often at the same time because....?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

Amen I work at the city morgue and if I let everything I see affect me I would never leave the house. You cannot let fear take over your life. And believe me I see it all. Actually getting out into nature and hiking is my outlet.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

There is a fundamental difference between situational awareness and fear. One is just common sense the other is irrational.

Nobody would stand in the middle of a bald during a lightening storm...is taking the small precaution of moving to a lower spot and making yourself less of a target irrational? Afterall we all say the odds of getting struck by lightning is pretty remote.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Without some internal fantasy and spiritual experience, fantasy or not, reality can be extremely boring. Your posts are a perfect example of that.

It’s funny that so many spiritual people are hateful and mean-spirited.

so if one is spiritual, then that means that person also has to suffer fools lightly or they're not spiritual anymore? i'll have to work on that then...

Images

Says the pot...
    ...to the kettle
    we, who are suppose to be outdoorsy types, ARE NOT and completely ignorant of nature. Many seem to think nature is a spiritual experience – it’s NOT, it is only about survival in the most basic sense, anything else is just some internal fantasy waiting to meet reality.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

I'll give you folks an opportunity to elevate the thread to discuss your personal positions on the topic but if it's going to be a pissing match the thread will not get far. The topic was framed in a negative light, suggesting some are delusional, but maybe a discussion without trying to bash the opposing side might lead to some better understanding. (Oh yeah I know it's a pipe dream.)
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++