WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I, my wife, and my golden retriever are going up there tomorrow to fix the blazes as promised. It will be an 8 mile round trip hike in some pretty difficult territory. But the weather promises to be beautiful. We plan to go in from Beaverdam Bald and first hike out to Round Top and fix things there, then over to the campsite in the gap NE of Hazelnut, then back up hill to my car. By the way, the road up to Beaverdam Bald is now in great shape. It took the road people all summer to fix it up. And, there will stil be lots of flame orange on the trails -- it is the middle of hunting season for hogs and bears.

Default Orange is history, blue is in

We did indeed go up to Round Top and the campsite NE of Hazelnut today and fixed the blazes. See the attached pictures. All done. No orange is left, except for all the hunters and hikers wanting to protect themselves from the hunters. It was a beautiful cool crisp crystal clear day today, temp about 60 with a light breeze. A perfect day for a high ridgeline hike. The leaves are off the trees and the views were incredible. I am having trouble uploading the pictures. If they don't show up, you can view them by going to www.cherokeehikingclub.org and click on "2009 Maintenance Trips", then the date November 4, 2009, then when you come to that page, again click on the date of November 4, 2009. You will see pictures of the new blue blazes and the missing white X's. Enjoy. When we publish our new trail guide for the TN/NC section of the BMT, I will let you all know through this thread.

looks great. much better.

I've backpacked the section between Sled Runner and Sandy Gap a couple of times recently and did so when there was just some ribbons tied here and there. I didn't have any problems following the trail and found the water down in Moss Gap easy enough. I wouldn't want to nighthike it but in the day it was nice, I even camped for a night on the north side of Moss Gap. I'm glad it got fixed up and some of the paint removed. One of my favorite camps is atop Rocky Top by the big stones. Just haul water up from the Brookshire and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    If you are just joining the post the above statement and other statements are correct, except the ones posted by you-know-who & the other you-know-who.

Apparently sniffing orange paint has clouded their judgement.

Sign Sign everywhere a sign / Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind / Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign ...

Stay where its safe city dwellers - let the men do the exploring.
    I guess by your post your not a real man as it's pointless to explore a marked trail. The LNT post would not apply to any marked trail either as there is a trace by all markings.

El Sordo
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    i think if you need to be led around by bright paint in the woods to cope, you should probably stay in the city.
    So, how was it finbding those water sources on the Chunky Gal trail? Too many blazes?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ce_rubicon View Post
    I guess by your post your not a real man as it's pointless to explore a marked trail. The LNT post would not apply to any marked trail either as there is a trace by all markings.
    LNT is impossible to achieve, with or without paint on trees. The guy who invented the concept long ago abandoned it as impossible to achieve. He quit the organization he had founded when others wouldn't go along. LNT is now a business. It keeps many people employed -- and the trails dirtier than when the hiker warnings were more achievable -- like a simple, "Carry In, Carry Out" message.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    like a simple, "Carry In, Carry Out" message.

Weary
    Amen Weary
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    So, how was it finbding those water sources on the Chunky Gal trail? Too many blazes?
    there were water sources on that trail?...

Journal Entries
    Images

Default toughest land navgation course!!

I graduated from the toughest land navigation course on this planet!!!
    Take-n-knee,i have to 2nd that course and my hats off to you brother!!

Egads,

Hiking at night. No headlamp for the painted tree.

What is wrong with that picture? Not the painted tree.

Hiking at night. No headlamp.

Trip on a root or a rock? Misstep, at night.

And this: Do you expect a perfectly groomed trail for your "wilderness" experience?

MintankaCat,

It seems to me more anger may be called for.

How is this the wilderness experience desired by the trail's namesake?

It seems to me, there are "manifest destiny" forces at work to "tame" the trail and make it another AT.

Hipneck,

Do we not benefit if others learn to enjoy, appreciate and then protect our parks and forests?
    No, not if it means there is no "wilderness experience" remaining there.

The Glacier National Park wilderness experience has been destroyed supposedly by well-meaning people: paved over lovely campgrounds and trout fishing made into trailer-parks, paved "trails" for handicap access, no parking in pretty spots, no walking because birds are nesting, little police-lines tape for counting plant species, permits far in advance, tickets from "backcountry rangers" for violations rather than helpful and instructive summer-hire "rangers". Dozens of brand new huge private homes for the rich behind Lake MacDonald. In the 1950's there were less than 5 private "in-holds" in the National Park.

This isn't the only wilderness "protected" as a National Park this is happening, either. Point Reyes National Seashore has numerous new private houses for the wealthy on the ridge looking over the Point Reyes National Seashore, and in one incident nearly burning down the entire Point Reyes National Seashore "protected" habitat. Playing with matches? Cooking drugs? The Sheriff lied, it was not on the private property owner's property. I met her. I know the truth.

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area, part of the National Seashore, has a gated enclave for new houses for "the rich" on the ridge overlooking The Golden Gate National Seashore who treat it like their personal property for walking the dog, resenting and complaining about "the public".

On The Golden Gate National Seashore-Ft. Baker side, "the rich" have even tried to take over Presidio Yacht Club. The new hotel, repeat: new hotel, in this "park" wants it for a restaurant.

I would say, a great deal of continuing effort is required to keep a "wilderness area" worthwhile as a "wilderness experience".

Alligater,

Tiny reflectors might be the acceptable answer, for water, and for replacing painted "blazes".

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    I agree with Kanga on this one but only to a point. If you are on a long dry stretch of trail it is nice to have a marker letting you know that there is a spring over there that you may not be able to see from the trial. I don't know this particular trail so I don't have any idea how frequent water spots are along it but just based on the images posted I think thta these marks are more than excessive. That is definietly not what I mean by a marker letting you know where the water is...it should be something disctrete.
    That's one thing but a water source that is 15 steps off a trail would surely be audible and easy to find WITHOUT big orange blazes. It looks like sewer and gas line markings in the city...

My preference is for perfect blazed trails.

But in choosing between underblazed and overblazed. I prefer the latter. A couple of extra blazes has never caused me much grief. I don't like getting lost.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

then maybe you should learn to use a map and compass?

I know how to use a map and compass....but I find following the blazes makes for a much enjoyable hike then needing to check the map and compass constantly.

If you hate painted tree so much maybe you should avoid trails all together and bushwack.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

i do bushwhack quite a bit thank you. i don't want to see alot of paint on the trail. you know, you would probably enjoy walking at the botanical gardens. they have little gravel paths and everything, so you don't have to concentrate so much.

Journal Entries

I greatly prefer underblazing. Properly drawn blazes (about the size of a dollar bill) judiciously placed so that only one or two can be seen at a time, quickly blend into the background and become unnoticed. Which is good. They become just another tiny intrusion into the sense of wildness I seek in the woods and hills.

As long as they can be seen with a little searching when I reach a confusing turn or intersection, that is all that is necessary. Too much of the AT is way overblazed in my opinion. I'd far rather get a little confused occasionally, than to walk along a trail that constantly shouts, "this way, stupid."

Weary

Images

It is one of the nice things about the Smokies outside the AT. NONE of the trails are blazed.

Another is the fact that here are only about 2 shelters on the other 700 miles of trails in the Smokies.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Someone was afraid the hikers might miss the trail blazes
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I know how to use a map and compass....but I find following the blazes makes for a much enjoyable hike then needing to check the map and compass constantly.
    Agreed. I'd rather have a trail that is ridiculously easy to follow so I can think less about navigation and enjoy aspects of the scenery that are not reflected by the topo maps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++