WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Ways to Improve Hanover NH

I have just received a very interesting letter from a local town official.

It appears there is going to be a meeting of town officials, citizens, college representatives, folks from the business community, and anyone else who is interested.

The focus of the meeting (to which I expect to be invited when they choose a date) is to discuss how the Hanover experience can be improved for hikers.

Since I'll be going there representating the long-distance hikers, I wanted to share this with you guys.......so if you were at this meeting, what would YOU suggest?

And please keep in mind, let's hear some concrete suggestions, not abstract stuff like "Your restaurants aren't that great!" or "The hotel is too expensive!"

Let's have some real ideas, OK?

In no particular order, here are some of my suggestions:

*It'd be great if one of the local businesses, perhaps on of the several out-
    door stores, could erect some sort of hiker shower for the season and
    charge a nominal fee for its use and upkeep. Hikers would benefit and so
    would patrons and staffs of local businesses, restaurants, etc.

*The local free bus service is great; perhaps some stops could be added, like
    the laundromat that's a bit out of town, or the popular Sunset Inn. This
    would help the hikers who plan to patronize these businesses and would
    save them some road walking/hitching.

*I know that in Waynesboro VA hikers can get a list of friendly locals, mostly
    retired folks, who volunteer to help hikers with shuttles, as Waynesboro is a
    bit off the Trail as are many stores and services. I'd like to see the same
    program initiated in Hanover to help hikers who needed to get to West
    Lebanon, or the airport, or the Amtrak station in White River, etc. The
    present free bus service is great, but it stops early and doesn't run every
    day. Therefore, a current list of friendly locals that hikers could call would
    be a great help.

Anyway, those are my quick ideas that I plan to present in one form or another at the meeting.

Anyone have any others?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

(now this may have changed since '07) But I was concerned about the tenting available near Hanover - we noticed when we were there back in '07 interesting characters who had pitched their tents just in the woods there (one guy looked like he had been there quite a while). It made me uneasy hiking in this area, let alone staying there if I ever wanted to. Are there patrols for this or maybe something can be done as far as monitoring this area for safety. (?)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

free iced tea refills

Blissful:

The only problem with your suggestion is that hikers would bitch and complain if the area WAS patrolled!

Unfortunately, it's free and open public camping, so at present, people stay there at their own risk.

(That being said, I've never heard about problems there like violence or theft,
    tho there have been problems with excessive campfires, noise, and garbage).

Jack, when I thru'd you could shower at the Dartmouth gym.

Max:

The staff at the gym still allows this, on occasion, depending on who is working. Usually, tho, due to security/insurance reasons, they no longer feel they can offer this service, or they seldmom offer it to male hikers.

There was a pretty horrible double homicide in town a few years ago, Max, and the town and especially the College became much more security conscious as a result. Unfortunately, some of this concern affected hikers and continues to do so.

Ramble on:

I think your comments re. Dartmouth's "proprietorship" of the Trail attitude is absolutely worth discussing and I also think that larger groups, including freshman orientation trips, should avoid shelters. I will certainly bring this up to any College or Outing Club folks who attend the meeting.

Jack, it's an expensive town. No way around that. Hiker's are on a budget. Give them a map to the inexpensive spots, which are few and far between, or, like I suggested, give them an option to bypass town. Not a hijack or being an idiot. Those are legitimate comments by hikers. If nothing else, you can use these messages to show the town how hikers perceive Hanover. Don't expect everyone to be all ga-ga with happy suggestions. Skipping Hanover is a happy suggestion, by the way. I think the people in Kent would prefer people skip town and I betcha the people who want to make Hanover hiker friendly are in the minority.

Ahh, It is much adieu over nothing really. Quit being so high and mighty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Typical.

Here's the news: People that don't like it in Hanover can keep right on walking thru.

I assure you that many residents could care less.
    Yeah...we kinda got that impression and perhaps the town itself would rather have a blue blaze as well. I'm happy to hear that there are folks interested in making improvements...I wonder how many own businesses along the trail which also doubles as the town's main street.
    If there was a blue blaze that bypassed town and passed by the coop before the treeline...I'd take it. Not wanting to be "smart" but honest.

The orientation groups at shelters isn't limited to Dartmouth...Every year...everywhere..widespread issue. But it could be addressed to DOC because it did "seem" that the Dartmouth groups seemed "proud" that it was "their" shelter.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Ramble on:

I think your comments re. Dartmouth's "proprietorship" of the Trail attitude is absolutely worth discussing and I also think that larger groups, including freshman orientation trips, should avoid shelters. I will certainly bring this up to any College or Outing Club folks who attend the meeting.
    Ah, if the freshman avoid shelters, where are they to go?? Dartmouth students are only a small part of the orientation shelter non-issue. In fact, I have run into a lot of orientation kids and none were from Dartmouth.

Tin Man:

Hikers need to cross the Connecticut River and the bridges are few and far between, so don't look for the Trail to be removed from Hanover anytime soon.

As to those who wish to skip the various things that Hanover has to offer, it has been said before: They can keep on walking. Hanover is like any other Trail town located on or near the Appalachian Trail: Nobody is forced to spend any time there. I have walked from the Town Green to the Soccer field many, many times, Tin Man. In fact, I usually do it every day. It takes about six minutes to get thru Hanover and it's a nice flat roadwalk. Anyone not interested in this place can keep right on truckin'.

Tin Man:

It should also be pointed out that hikers already have a pretty good list of inexpensive or free things in Hanover, as the Trail guidebooks they all carry list these places, such as the perfectly free campsite on the edge of town; the free bus service that connects local communities; the free places where they are welcome to leave their packs or go-online; the restaurant that gives out free Pizza; the free Art Museum; the place with daily All You Can Eat specials; and so on.

In point of fact, Tin Man, when it comes to offering stuff for free or discounted, Hanover actually does better than a lot of other places.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

honestly, we skipped hanover all together. we werent keen on the yuppieneess.

we did make two stops though. one for ice cream, the other to purchase food. BUT, we ended up not purchasing much food: an inexpensive (or alternative) to the food co-op would be advantageous. we simply were not going to pay those prices.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Tin Man:

Hikers need to cross the Connecticut River and the bridges are few and far between, so don't look for the Trail to be removed from Hanover anytime soon.

As to those who wish to skip the various things that Hanover has to offer, it has been said before: They can keep on walking. Hanover is like any other Trail town located on or near the Appalachian Trail: Nobody is forced to spend any time there. I have walked from the Town Green to the Soccer field many, many times, Tin Man. In fact, I usually do it every day. It takes about six minutes to get thru Hanover and it's a nice flat roadwalk. Anyone not interested in this place can keep right on truckin'.
    Actually, I was thinking it would be better to go over the bridge north of town and through quieter, prettier sections of NH. I have driven it and I like it much better. Bigger reroute than may be possible, but I can see a better route through Hanover than straight down the main drag where are the high brows hang out turning there nose up at hikers and where all the expensive shops are located.

If you want to make Hanover more hiker friendly, educate the residents, not the hikers.

2010 complete

I had trouble at the road crossing. Maybe it's my fault because I don't carry a map or detailed description of the trail, but I usually get confused once I hit town due to the lack of blazes/signs. Maybe, I just missed it.

Solemates:

I agree with you wholeheartedly re. the prices at the Food Co-op; I try and shop there as seldom as possible. Unfortunately, the more reasonably priced supermarket in Hanover lost its lease and will not be replaced anytime soon. On the other hand, many hikers use the free bus service to get to Shaw's or Price Chopper in nearby West Lebanon, which are much more affordable.

Tin Man:

It should also be pointed out that hikers already have a pretty good list of inexpensive or free things in Hanover, as the Trail guidebooks they all carry list these places, such as the perfectly free campsite on the edge of town; the free bus service that connects local communities; the free places where they are welcome to leave their packs or go-online; the restaurant that gives out free Pizza; the free Art Museum; the place with daily All You Can Eat specials; and so on.

In point of fact, Tin Man, when it comes to offering stuff for free or discounted, Hanover actually does better than a lot of other places.
    Don't know about guidebooks. Can't be bothered. I betcha there are many more section hikers than thru-hikers and they, like me, can't be bothered either. What we can be bothered by is attitude and what we see as we walk through. Hanover ain't hiker friendly and a meeting ain't gonna change residents attitudes toward hikers.

Images

reply to Jack's #24
    True that...but it would be nice to be able to hike the AT...the entire AT...without being looked at like you're a rapist, homeless person or some sort of crazed maniac. I didn't find that possible through Hanover...although I will admit to being a bit of a maniac, homeless for extended periods, crazed...but I'm no rapist or criminal.
    Actually....the trail sharing the sidewalk through this town...is always gonna provide a "special" experience for anyone hiking it when mom and dad are dropping their kid off at the little N.E. school.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I just looked in my file from 2001 and located a ticket that me and friends where presented. Town of Hanover Ordinance 32, was sited. We were drying out our back packed items. Police noticed bottle of booze with seal--not intact. This from being soaking wet, bottle full. I remember this ordinance being unfriendly toward hikers thru the town. You just stated "I assure you that many residents could care less". My experience is they care even less about smelly hikers. Unlike those with me, I hold no grudge, and would have never brought this up until you created this thread. Maybe the situation is a little different now, maybe not. That said, I would have no problem of the AT by-passing town.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I had trouble at the road crossing. Maybe it's my fault because I don't carry a map or detailed description of the trail, but I usually get confused once I hit town due to the lack of blazes/signs. Maybe, I just missed it.
    Or maybe 4 miles (or whatever) of pavement starting in VT ain't exactly a trail. One of the longest road walks along the entire trail and for what? You get to town and ya ain't made to feel too welcome.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++