WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Sorry Chaplain that is the most ridiculous custom i've never heard of. If you need something take it, if you have more than you need leave something. As far as hostels having to put some things on the shelf to get rid of the overflow or make few bucks, as long as the sell the stuff at a discount i wouldn't have a problem with it. Hostels provide a good service and lets face it they are not getting rich off us hikers. if they make a few extra dollars selling stuff they would eventually have to throw away to make ends meet, more power to them. I cant imagine what a thru would cost if we all had to find a Holliday Inn. BTW the last part of this statement was not directed at you Chaplin just a general rant.
    "Shut up and keep walking"

on the same token, don't feel bad leaving things you don't want and think others won't want either...you just never know what someone will want.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    on the same token, don't feel bad leaving things you don't want and think others won't want either...you just never know what someone will want.
    It's where weasy leaves his poop bags. . .

egggggzzzzakkkkllllyyyyyy

Images

yeah, who knows the next guy might need my cast iron cookset
    "Shut up and keep walking"

Journal Entries
    Images

Its ok, Dragonfeet I knew what you were saying. I have taken things without leaving things, but I was trying to remember if someone had told me that or not. I guess the level (of the box) would never go down if we all left something. I think it might be ok for Hostels to sell some of the stuff when the box gets to full? I mean, are they going to store it? But I think the policy ought to be up front. When and If I place something in there, I am surely not thinking it is for them to sell? Am I not right here?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I think placing anything in a hiker box is only a guarantee that you no longer want it. You can hope someone gets good use out of it.

Two sweaters which came in handy during an unanticipated snow storm in early fall, when we were newer hikers and didn't pack as well as we do now. Thanks to whomever left them there!

Journal Entries
    Images

I wish there wre some hiker boxes on the CDT.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Images

Default Henry Shires Tent

One of my fellow thru-hikers in '09 didn't like his Henry Shires Tarp Tent, so he dumped it in a hikerbox in Franklin. Someone had a happy day when they came across that.
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.
    - Matsuo Basho

For the past three years I've worn the pair of hiking shorts I found in the hiker box at East Mountain Retreat. Not pretty but very rugged. They'll be going out on the Trail again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    I wish there wre some hiker boxes on the CDT.
    OK, it's been a few years now, but i remember one at the backpackers hostel in East Glacier.
    And, wasn't there one at Nina's house?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

Fiddlehead: I am sorry, but I have not hiked the CDT yet. I am planning on a thru hike in 2013. However, I hope to section hike some of NM this summer. So as to where there might be a hiker box, I don't know, yet. I would not even know if the spots you mentioned are actually on the CDT. I live less than a days drive from the start of the CDT. Near Amarillo, TX. I was thinking that on the AT there is I(I noticed when I was section hiking it) hiker boxes along the trail. I have not picked up that this is a tradtion along the newer CDT. Hence my remark. I am probably out of the loop or uninformed. Sorry. I have been thinking about retiring near the CDT. Sure would try to set up a hiker box!

Images

I blew a hiking shoe in the Roan Highlands last year, decided to stop at Mountain Harbour. Found a pair of trail runners in the box exactly my size. Still using them.

- Duffy
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    I actually dropped a knee brace into a hiker box in 2005. Not the same one I'm sure, but I hope somebody got some use out of it.

I got a pear of sweats from Miss Janet's house after the temperature dropped. Still have them.
    The one I found is an ACE kneee brace, off white in color.
    Pootz 07

Found a strip club t-shirt (from Providence, RI) in the hiker box at Blueberry Patch hostel last year. Even though it was cotton I took it, mostly for the irony of it. Still came in handy as it snowed the next couple nights and I needed every layer I could get.

Also found a pair of Marmot rain pants in the box at the NOC. Looks like someone forgot them and they got thrown in. While they were only a women's medium and I'm a guy just under 6 foot, they were quite useful and I used them until I left the trail. Still have them.

At the Inn At Long Trail, I found a bottle of Liquid Bandage, and I still have one in my first aid kit. I probably would have never bought this item, but found it to be much better than conventional bandages. It also contains antiseptic. What more could you want??

litefoot 2000

ooh liquid bandaid, damn does it burn when it goes on! sure patches you up nice though

Journal Entries
    Images

Starting a section hike on CDT this June 11. I'll be looking for hiker boxes after reading this thread. But IF there are any, they're probably empty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++