WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Appalachian Trail Tee at store.

Hi everyone, I thought this shirt might be of interest here. I bought one the other day and enjoy it. I'm not affiliate with gap or anything even remotely close, so I'm telling you all only for informational purposes.

Gap has a new series of what I guess are "outdoor" tees. National Parks, that type thing. They have one for the Appalachian Trail.

I think it's cool, and I can tell you that it's comfy (because I'm wearing one right now). On sale for $13 I believe.

The website doesn't mention any proceeds going to the trail or anything, so it probably doesn't. Anyway, it's a cool shirt! Some of the others are cool, too, like the Smoke Mtns one.

Thanks for the heads up, keep in mind GAP's environmental record before you 'donate' your $ for a T. Sounds like exploitation to me, maybe a cool shirt, but exploitive if the AT or its supporting organizations get zip.

In 1998, the Gap's founding dynasty, the Fisher family, bought a large chunk of old-growth redwood forest -- 235,000 acres, to be exact -- in Mendocino County, just north of San Francisco. Though the family's logging company purchased the area under the pretense of "being ecologically sound," Denvir says, it's been used for what the family calls "sustainable" logging -- in reality, clear-cutting. Activists have been especially outraged by the Fishers' refusal to set aside any acreage for conservation.

In reference to their new "anarchist" line.....despite the fact that Gap makes their clothes in sweatshops, and have been subject to many demonstrations across the nation, they believe that the growing movement against corporate power is now large enough to begin marketing on. Now the protest itself can be essentially sold to consumers as an image.

However ridiculous this new marketing scheme seems at first, due to the tremendous power of corporate advertising over consumers, Gap just might pull it off, trivializing the movement against free trade, and selling jeans at the same time.

The effect that this new marketing could have on the movement is tremendous. If Gap succeeds, it will mean that every protest that is staged will be building on their new image, in effect turning protestors and activists into living, walking ads for Gap. Further, if Gap succeeds it may become a trendsetter, and other corporations might follow.

Currently, the majority of consumers are unaware of how Gap stands on "independence" and "freedom."

Gap inc. is the corporation under which Gap, Old Navy, and Banana Republic exist. All three companies have been notorious for paying sweatshop workers as little as 11 cents per hour in the third world, denying them basic health care and the right to form unions, as well as harassing, beating and forcing contraceptives on them. Sweatshop workers generally work 12-14 hour days (although sometimes 24) and can be as young as 12 years old.

Although many of Gap's clothes say "Made in USA" they are actually produced in Saipan, a US territory where normal US labor laws do not exist.

The Fisher Family that owns Gap also owns Mendocino Redwood Company, an active logging company that is deforesting the valuable redwood forests in Mendocino County, California. The Fisher family also has a notorious reputation for lobbying for privatizion of education and other public works in their home state of California.

Thanks for the idea about the shirts, nothing personal against you Just think we should be informed
    For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37

Quote Originally Posted by eyahiker
    Thanks for the idea about the shirts, nothing personal against you Just think we should be informed
    No I don't take your reply personally, and I'm glad to know what you said. And don't take this personally, but I expected something to be brought up why this shirt or purchasing this shirt was bad. No big deal. Either way, I'm happily wearing my Appalachian Trail shirt. I do wish that some of the proceeds went to the park or Trail the shirts are about. That makes sense, but I doubt that's happening (because if it was, I imagine the gap would be blasting that loud and clear).

Yup.

Plain old exploitation of something that isn't trademarked

Images

The ATC Store has plenty of nice shirts. I'll get mine there, and I would bet everyone else will too.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default sorry,not impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    The ATC Store has plenty of nice shirts. I'll get mine there, and I would bet everyone else will too.
    Yes, I hope everyone else will too. And for those that have them all and want one more, then here is an option for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    sorry,not impressed
    Not impressed with me as a person, with the Appalachian Trail, the Gap, the shirt, or what?

I'm sorry I offered people the info on a shirt they might be interested in. I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I have something trail relevant to post.

It's a fine shirt. All it lacks is a big blue blaze in the middle. Think I'll go buy 10 just to piss off the nay sayers.

It's cool, don't be upset. It's just that this it's not exactly "trail relevant'. If you spend some time with the folks here, you'll see that keeping, promoting and supporting the AT and it's relevant organizations are a priority.

Love it, hike it, support it. Gap coming out with a shirt and exploiting the name of the AT so non-hikers can wear an AT shirt ( just like any 'sport' shirt one wears to be associated with that 'sport' whether one actually participates or not) just isn't something I belive will be embraced here.

But thanks for the info! I'll check it out next time I'm in a mall with a Gap. Don't be discouraged, keep on posting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Think I'll go buy 10 just to piss off the nay sayers.
    Gosh, you don't have to buy 10 of them. One will do !

Geezer

It's cool, don't be upset. It's just that this it's not exactly "trail relevant'. If you spend some time with the folks here, you'll see that keeping, promoting and supporting the AT and it's relevant organizations are a priority.
    I don't see why an AT shirt isn't relevant here. Don't get upset yourself, but it's at least as "trail relevant" as your discourse on California redwoods and third world labor, and your Luke 1:37 signature. People who live in glass houses and all that....

It's a nice shirt. Live and let live.
    Frosty

Yeah. FREE TIBET. *** does that mean anyway?

Images

Love it, hike it, support it. Gap coming out with a shirt and exploiting the name of the AT so non-hikers can wear an AT shirt ( just like any 'sport' shirt one wears to be associated with that 'sport' whether one actually participates or not) just isn't something I belive will be embraced here.

But thanks for the info! I'll check it out next time I'm in a mall with a Gap. Don't be discouraged, keep on posting!

Now if it was made of Coolmax, then I'd be interested. As it is, I still owe Attroll for two shirts I hope he's still holding for me. Which, imho, are much cooler.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Tee-Shirt worth having...

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    Hi everyone, I thought this shirt might be of interest here. I bought one the other day and enjoy it. I'm not affiliate with gap or anything even remotely close, so I'm telling you all only for informational purposes. Gap has a new series of what I guess are "outdoor" tees. National Parks, that type thing. They have one for the Appalachian Trail.

photo of shirt was here!

I think it's cool, and I can tell you that it's comfy (because I'm wearing one right now). On sale for $13 I believe.blah,blah,blah,blah

SAVE YOUR $13....add a few more with it & send it to ATTROLL & get a WHITEBLAZE.NET shirt! It supports THIS CAUSE!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Yeah. FREE TIBET. *** does that mean anyway?
    Tibet no longer has a sales tax. People drive up from as far away as Cambodia to buy tax-free booze and T-shirts.
    Frosty

No s**t? Tell me no!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Tibet no longer has a sales tax. People drive up from as far away as Cambodia to buy tax-free booze and T-shirts.
    Deleware is closer!! LOL

Speaking of AT tee shirts ,Im watching a rerun of That 70s show and the one that plays hyde is wearing a shirt ,just a plain tee shirt with The AT sign on the chest .Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Default Misdirected energy.

Instead of everyone getting all worked up about this, here's an alternate suggestion....

If you have a beef with the Gap, or if you think they're somehow "exploiting" the A.T., then how about contacting the company with your concerns and suggest that they consider a corporate donation to the Park Service and/or
    the Appalachian Trail Conference. Many other large retailers (such as L.L. Bean) have done this and everyone involved benefits; non-profits such at the ATC get some much-needed revenue; the public benefits from new facilities, shelters, land acquisitions, etc., and the company gets some good publicity.

So instead of complaining about all the things the Gap does wrong, wouldn't it make more sense for some of you to write them a letter suggesting what they could do right?

Just an idea.....

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Good post Baltimore Jack.

Remids me of a bill collection agency that kept calling my parents house for a brother of mine that didn't live there. They called at all times between 8am and 10pm it seemed. They couldn't understand why I didn't just give them his home number so I did a little research online and got the company's webite info. Once on the website I found the company's Presidents name, the vice pres. and all of the board of directors. As a backup plan I go the parent company's presidents name. After finding the city these two company's were in I called information and got ALL of their home numbers. The next time I got a call from their debt. terrorist I called the president of the company at midnight and told his wife what was going on and that if it didn't stop I was going to keep calling as well as calling the parent company's president. They NEVER called again needless to say. Point being..... contacting people on the web is an easy thing to do when you have the right motivation. Not that I recommend this in this instance or anything. Contacting people at The Gap would be very simple. Even at home !
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++