WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

http://www.mama-ricenoodles.com/th/product2.html

$00.35 noodles x4
    $00.50 planters spicy peanuts
    $00.75 fresh green onions... and dont forget these green onions keep pretty well in non-sweltering weather, or if you've got the eye, pick some fresh green onions on trail, but do not deny the onions cause THEY SET THIS DISH OFF!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Whole Dried Milk from Nestle sold only to mexican/spanish stores but found in Walmart Super Stores.
    I found it in Ingles. Ingles is a regional southern supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Montego View Post
    Hey hikingbear, how's it going? To answer your question, "Nido" is a powdered whole milk (as opposed to non-fat powdered milk one usually finds in the store). It's a product of Mexico and comes in several types and is most often used as a reconstituted milk for baby bottles.

Mixed with cold water from a stream or spring found along the trail, it's quite good (a lot better tasting than the typical non-fat powdered milk, IMHO) and adds those much needed calories from the fat content.

You should be able to find it in the hispanic section of Wal-Mart or a market that specializes in Mexican foods. Another source is on-line. Just google "Nido".

Happy hiking.
    Montego
    Question about Nido??? I'm storing my container in the fridge, does it go bad after time? I assume not since someone bought a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post

Question about Nido??? I'm storing my container in the fridge, does it go bad after time? I assume not since someone bought a case.
    I don't know about going bad, but by the time I got to the bottom of a can, it did a 'not-quite-curdle' when I stirred it into hot coffee. Tasted okay, just didn't look very appetizing.

There's nothing on the can that says refrigerate after opening, so I didn't. With the next can, I may.

I found Nido on the shelf at Stop and Shop for the first time this week (and I've been keeping an eye out for it)- it was near the Goya foods section specifically. It's definitely more expensive than non-fat powdered milk.

Humidity is powdered milk's (of any type) worst enemy. I used to keep mine in the paper carton it came in but had a problem with lumps, not dissolving, et cetera- then I started keeping it in a recycled peanut butter jar. No more issues!

And for a more thread related bit- if you have some of the packets of ranch or Parmesan salad dressing, add them in place of the butter/margarine in instant mashed potatoes. Add some chicken or turkey and some bacon bits for a great mashup. This also works well as filling in pita bread or on a wrap. You can also turn around and shape into patties and fry it if you're so inclined.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify a home cooked favorite for the trail, which is to take cooked white fish (something mild like cod or tilapia) and layer it with au gratin potatoes and bake. I came up with this one day while trying to deal with a bunch of leftovers and it is really good. But I've had mixed success with trying to dry the cooked fish in my dehydrator.
    ~CJ aka WritinginCT

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

Images

what a great looking Boxer WritinginCT, check out my Bailey on my pics. best dogs for trail, best dog hands down.

but they taste horrible

Journal Entries
    Images

OK this thread discovered a different path... I was hoping others would post ideas about where dehydrated store bought packages could be converted to full meals. Nido is a additive to those meals to convert the ones that require whole milk instead of water.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

As a treat I like any store bought stuffing mix, with mushrooms and oysters added in first night. After that it can be spruced up with chicken packs or TVP.

1/2 package (390 mg Na) yellow Miso vegetable soup in 8-ounces hot water, adding in an available wild green leafy vegetable (kale, lamb's quarters, purslane, etal.) cut in narrow ribbons, followed by 1/2 package of Nestle's Rich Cocoa in 16-ounces water with a Hazelnut flavor coffee package picked up in a gas station is good enough for supper before the sleeping bag.

I'd rather eat my dinner mid-day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    what's the sodium content on these products?
    I'd like to know too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry guys - I have given up on the sodium issue. Here is why, sodium is present in all foods, even in unsalted unprocessed foods. I have maintained a very low sodium diet for ten years watching both iodine and sodium levels and ended up with a goiter that required removal of my thyroid this year.

I reached out to several companies that were making what I felt was (out of their minds) sodium levels and did not offer low sodium products. A freeze dried popular company, Boston Market, & Knorr - Their customer service responded over the phone with me. Their answers were remarkable, The US government has decided a level of salt & sodium is necessary for life, the government recommends that adults limit their daily intake of sodium to 2,300 milligrams, and that seniors and children consume no more than 1,500 milligrams a day. The companies took that number and ran with it, a typical Boston Market dinner is 1500 mg. http://www.bostonmarketfrozen.com/Pr...View.aspx?ID=4 or 60 percent of the product. They maintained that sodium while hiking is healthy and not a negative issue.

So in future I will not be addressing this issue in the food forum.
    I will copy this as a new thread separate from here as I am still looking for ideas on fast ways to take off the shelf products that work well for backpacking.

Read more: http://www.nrn.com/breakingNews.aspx?id=366690#ixzz0Wwxa7ERB

Mountain House Pro Pak http://www.mountainhouse.com/nutrInf...ductCode=50119

Yeah, that boxed stuff is too salty for me to eat day-in-and-day-out.

I like using plain rice and pasta and using my own non-salty spices for the most part.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by seedog View Post
    As a treat I like any store bought stuffing mix, with mushrooms and oysters added in first night. After that it can be spruced up with chicken packs or TVP.
    Thanks I had forgotton stuffing as a great thing to have on the trail - great post.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Back on track, welcome back posters & readers!

Turns out I am not a fan of Couscous..... eww by itself.....

On the back of the box is a mix for adding spinich or asparagus....
    can be converted to FBC - I will experiment tommorrow.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

Back on track, welcome back posters & readers!

Turns out I am not a fan of Couscous..... eww by itself.....

On the back of the box is a mix for adding spinach or asparagus....
    can be converted to FBC - I will experiment tomorrow.
    Couscous is an acquired taste, for me it was the texture that I had to get past. I have found this product at Big Lots for less than $1.00 a box, I use as is, adding about 1 Tablespoon olive oil just as it finishes "cooking" in the freezer bag. Couscous "cooks" very fast, almost ready to eat before you are done pouring in the hot water. For this particular flavor, I have added a Tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, Yum!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

More than one type of couscous at a good heath food store, in bulk.

If you are put off by the sawdust factor, look at the larger "pearl" type. I want to call it an ethnic difference, but it might be marketing.

Different brands of couscous can be as different from one another as different brands of pasta.

Mashed potato flakes with cheese and real bacon bits - great, quick, light, tasty backpacking meal. Can also throw in some kind of veggies (freeze dried, dehydrated, even frozen for a first night out). Without the veggies, it's ready basically as soon as you pour the water in the bag.

I have a low-fat low-salt medical diet order. I manage very well.

It involved selecting foods off the 5 mg Na food list, that add up.

I did not use 1850 mg Na Campbell's soup and all the rest of prepared foods at the grocery store.

Simple, no? Not.

I had been the weekend "special diet" cook at Children's Orthopedic Hospital, in Seattle, during college. When I got a medical diet order, I asked the Registered Dieticians at that hospital for a xerox copy of their "food lists".

I got it.

As it turns out, I had to learn "how to cook" ethnic food, because most ethnic cultures still know food.

I was so inspired by two YouTube videos, I have added to my website, and this thread I decided to look at "convenience food" I would never look at after I got that medical diet order.

I went to the Grocery Outlet nearby.

I found: Veetee, Jeera Rice "Aromatic indian rice with cumin seeds" from the Curry Collection. It says boil for 5 minutes. .99

I found: Hungry Jack Easy Mashed Chipotle Mashed Potatoes .69

I found: Hormel Mary Kitchen Single Sausage Hash. .79

I found: Mr Udon Malaysian Beef Flavor Oriental Udon Noodle .79

I found: Mr Udon Malaysian Chicken Flavor Oriental Udon Noodle .79

I spent $4.05

I love couscous.

There are different couscous.

My experience of couscous is that the texture matters, because, generally, couscous takes on the flavor of what else is in the recipe.

I also have tried all the different colors and textures of quinoa I can find.

Google: for recipes.

For other interesting food items, you may never have thought about, see my food pages. I am not a business. I accept no ads. This is good stuff.

Food videos
    Food
    Extra food
    Specialized food
    Scones

off-site:
    Bannock
    Biscuits
    Focaccia

I hope it isn't OT to not list Bisquick.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Connie you are going to keep me occupied for a few hours as I read the sites you have posted here.

In the mean time

Knorr Parma Rosa with Butter buds & Nido thicken and add to noodles ! what a difference from Mac & cheese

Woo

A recent discovery, Manischewitz potato pancake mix. Freezer bag with just enough hot water to soften it. Can be added to soups. Contains matza meal and onion and has a nice roasted potato flavor. No seasoning needed. The packages are small and very dense so you can fit more in a pack or bear canister.

I have used combined with cheese and once with corned beef.

Instant mash potatoes, stuffing mix and most other sides aren't as dense so take up more space.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

One Foot in Front of the Other WinterWarlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    More than one type of couscous at a good heath food store, in bulk.

If you are put off by the sawdust factor, look at the larger "pearl" type. I want to call it an ethnic difference, but it might be marketing.
    The local grocer here has larger pearl couscous, but calls it Israeli couscous and keeps it in the kosher section...
    It don't matter if I get a little tired
    I'll sleep when I'm dead - Warren Zevon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++