WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    Hey, since a lot of us are into hiking and outdoor fun, does anyone know anything about cross country skiing?

I live in Pa, and it's supposed to be a snowy year, I'd like to get some cross country skis. I found some good deals online, but I'm not sure what all I would need. Boots, skis, and bindings, is that pretty much the basic gear I'd need? I've done it twice, with a friend's old family hand-me-down skis. Any recommendations on where to go, REI? ski shop? to get some good advice and good deals without breaking the bank. I don't need anything super high end, I just want to play around skiing in my yard and at the park.
    I teach XC for the AMC in New Hampshire every year, usually in Feb. We do a weekend clinic at what used to be the Boston University's Sargent Center which was sold to a private entity last year. They are allowing us to use it again this year. You're welcome to sign up. I don't have the dates in front of me but I'll look them up and get back to you.
    You'll find that you will probably want faster skis as you get more proficient with your kick and glide and poling. For your first set, look for boots which are comfortable and don't have too much lateral flex in the sole (pick up the boot you find comfortable and twist it, holding the toe and heel). It should be stiff. Stiffer soles (with snug fitting uppers) transfer more of your leg and ankle power to the skis, giving you better control.
    You should start with poles that come to the top of your shoulders (not arm pits - this is old school and prevents you from using the poles for forward propulsion efficiently). You will probably want longer ones as your technique improves.
    Skis - soft skis grip better but don't glide efficiently. Stiffer skis glide better but need more refined "kick and glide" technique to climb.
    It is often said that softer skis turn easier but that is too much of a generalization. Like the boots, if the skis are not torsionally (twisting, tip to tail) stiff, you won't be able to make them turn well, especially on hard snow or ice.
    That's about all I have time for. PM me if you're interested in the AMC trip, or Google to find out where the closest hiking (and probably XC) ski club is to where you live.

One more thing: Metal edges - if you're a beginner and aren't going to do any overnight or multi-day trips, buy them as your second pair of skis.
    When you hit a rock under the snow with metal edged skis it's like slamming the brakes on. If you're not prepared (or proficient on skis) it WILL send you flying.
    Last edited by Tinker; 11-10-2009 at 23:31. Reason: Added paragraph
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++