WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have the Buck neck knife- not recommended. You run a serious risk of cutting yourself trying to pull it out one-handed. For SAR, I use the Cold Steel Super Edge. It's become the only knife I carry on most backpack trips. The thing is scary sharp.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I made one of these:
    http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cen...ival_Knife.htm

It fits inside my cooking pot.

I bought a MORA in the smallest size available (4 1/2 in.blade) but found I almost never used it. So I left it home.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

Snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I made one of these:
    http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cen...ival_Knife.htm

It fits inside my cooking pot.
    That's total ingenious, I'm on my way out to the garage to make one or maybe a couple and give them to some friends.

Thanks for the link Grinder
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Journal Entries
    Images

That would be an advantage by using the Kersaw. If you chose to hang it on the outside of your pack. It would be available. More so then inside the pack. I picked up the Becker Necker today. It is not in the class of the Hartsook, definitely heavier and more knife. A good balance for me, I think. I like that it is a neck knife. When I hike I like a knife "on me". The sheath is much more substantial then the Hartsook. But then, it IS a larger knife. I have ruled out "boot knives". Anyone use these, in backpacking? How about behind the neck, on the upper back-attack or tactical type of knives? You know, to fight off the natives while on the trail?!??
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    That would be an advantage by using the Kersaw. If you chose to hang it on the outside of your pack. It would be available. More so then inside the pack. I picked up the Becker Necker today. It is not in the class of the Hartsook, definitely heavier and more knife. A good balance for me, I think. I like that it is a neck knife. When I hike I like a knife "on me". The sheath is much more substantial then the Hartsook. But then, it IS a larger knife. I have ruled out "boot knives". Anyone use these, in backpacking? How about behind the neck, on the upper back-attack or tactical type of knives? You know, to fight off the natives while on the trail?!??
    I once had to fight off a block of cheese.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

The Harstook finally came today. I had a gift card from Bass Pro shop, so I ordered the knife and a pie iron (for car camping). They sent the pie iron by Fed Ex and the knife through the mail.

The sheath is a hard plastic with a tab at the end with a raised dot that fits inside a hole in the knife. It seems fairly secure, one might want to add a rubber band to it just in case if wearing around the neck. Someone mentioned using two hands to get it out. Well, don't use one hand to hold the tab while the other hand draws the knife. The knife is sharp.

The knife weights 0.41 oz and the sheath 0.33, so almost 3/4 oz.

It's about paring knife size, you could maybe poke someone's eye out with it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Default Not Needed

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Does the blade have a lock? If not, it is an accident waiting to happen.
    I'm new to hiking, but knives? I know 'em. Used a knife since I was a kid. My dad's second job was as a muskrat trapper and the skinning job mostly fell to me. I cut myself a few times (12 yr old) getting used to the tool but never had the knife "fold up" on me while using it. I did have the knife fold up on me and cut me while I was playing with it but never while I was working. If you are using the knife in a way it was not designed to be used or use improper cutting methods expect to pay for it sooner or later. A lock back knife is a good safety device for someone who is not familiar with proper knife handling.
    BTW, when hiking I carry a small, lightweight Buck knife with, oh well here I go, a lock back. I like the knife.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    RAT cutlery Izula.
    Agreed! Excellent knife

I just saw an ad in Backpacker for a 125 th anniversary swiss army knife only $495.00. I may buy two one to use and a spare, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the photos Alligator.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++