WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia_claire View Post
    oh, and 15 seconds of research on the companys own site will tell you that they are are not native owned or affiliated

http://www.sfntc.com/FAQ/Overview.aspx
    but hippie/indian wannabes like to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    All the Am. Spir. cigarettes use 100% additive-free whole-leaf tobacco. The Maroon and Gold packs use USDA-certified organic (NOP standard) tobacco.

This tobacco costs a little more than other brands but most people who smoke it would probably agree that Am. Spir. sells a high-quality product, both loose and in cigarettes.

The company has never claimed a direct link to Native Americans. The copy on some of their products mentions the Native American tradition of respectful use of tobacco and suggests using the tobacco in this spirit.
    BS. any smoke in your lungs is not good.

The "Native American tradition of respectful use of tobacco?"

Please. Spare me the New Age goo-goo stuff.

Some people have evidently watched "Dances With Wolves" too many times. You want "respectful" Native American traditions? Like burning miles of prairie to drive animals? Or how about driving buffalo off a cliff killing hundreds at a time? Or the many Gulf Coast tribes that were cannibals. Yeah, now THAT was respectful. Yet these are all historically documented.

Please. Early Americans smoked tobacco for the same reason later Americans did: It made them feel good and they were addicted to it. Nothing noble about it.

so you're sayin' the whole smokin the peace pipe thing is wrong?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    The method of advertising used by the American Spirit tobacco company is clearly meant to make their cigarettes seem more "wholesome" or good than any other. Sure, additive free is better than other cigarettes, but smoking American Spirits versus menthol Camels is not like eating organic v. non organic cabbage.
    I'm reluctant to disillusion you young people, but there is little perceptible difference between eating organic and non organic cabbage. The two are pretty much the same, healthwise -- assuming one doesn't eat non organic cabbage in very great quantities very often.

Organics have some minor health advantages. But most of the requirements for an organic designation are based on unfounded beliefs, not necessarily facts. Or at least, not on any "facts" that have struck me as likely to have been true.

Weary

Good point, Weary.

I also suspect that smoking is better for you than is cabbage, but let's not go there.

In retrospect, I had a Ukrainian grandmother who used to force feed us cabbage and borscht (after 40 years beets still scare me).

And I chain smoked filterless Camels for two decades.

I miss the cigarettes a hell of a lot more than the cabbage.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    ...and congrats to those who quit!
    and those that never started
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    and those that never started
    Those are the smart ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    And besides, you'd think that smoking on trail would make it harder on your lungs, and therefor harder to hike.
    It depends on the individual. I used to smoke about a pack a day but bicycled 10 miles a day and ran 3 miles, 3 times a week.
    My dad is 82 and still smokes but when he comes down here he can handle the trails better than many of the Butterball Brand 30 year old burger chompers that show up here.He walks up and down the beach for a few hours every day.
    Fit is fit.
    Many, many soldiers smoke and those guys tote immense amounts of weight around all day and also have to do the annual fitness test which would even kill most high school football jocks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I'm reluctant to disillusion you young people, but there is little perceptible difference between eating organic and non organic cabbage. The two are pretty much the same, healthwise -- assuming one doesn't eat non organic cabbage in very great quantities very often.

Organics have some minor health advantages. But most of the requirements for an organic designation are based on unfounded beliefs, not necessarily facts. Or at least, not on any "facts" that have struck me as likely to have been true.

Weary
    I actually usually do eat a large amount of cabbage- Russian! My Russian granmother (like Jack's Ukranian grandmother) is always convinced that I need to eat a huge amount, and I get borscht, cabbage soup (borscht without beets), and cabbage rolls literally forced into my mouth.

So yeah, I eat cabbage.

And I live in farm area- I know what they do to those cabbages! (Well, kinda.)

Images

And PS- this should've been in the opening post.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce011.gif

Images

DARNIT! I give up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    BS. any smoke in your lungs is not good.
    They're just saying they don't use additives. You think they made that up? Maybe. And maybe the moon landings were shot in a parking lot outside Laughlin, NV.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post
    They're just saying they don't use additives. You think they made that up? Maybe. And maybe the moon landings were shot in a parking lot outside Laughlin, NV.
    How did you find out about that??? In 10 seconds the FBI will be coming for you three, two, one...

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    It depends on the individual. I used to smoke about a pack a day but bicycled 10 miles a day and ran 3 miles, 3 times a week.
    My dad is 82 and still smokes but when he comes down here he can handle the trails better than many of the Butterball Brand 30 year old burger chompers that show up here.He walks up and down the beach for a few hours every day.
    Fit is fit.
    Many, many soldiers smoke and those guys tote immense amounts of weight around all day and also have to do the annual fitness test which would even kill most high school football jocks.
    From what Iv'e learned, you can gain 100 lbs. on top of what you already weigh and still won't do the damage smoking 1 pack a day will do to your health.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++