WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

they were probably smokin blunts

Images

or maybe they were smokin backwoods. or crack. or cat turds

Cat turds, that's a new one on me...

My guess was that they were the AT version of blunts. The Backwoods are in brown paper (I somehow doubt it's leaf) and these were in white paper.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Although I do love the smell of pipe tobacco- especially cherrywood! Near a campfire or on a cold winter day, it smells perfect.
    My father sometimes smoked a pipe. I like the smell of pipe tobacco even though I'm otherwise grossed out by tobacco.

Journal Entries
    Images

Blunts or swisher sweets which is cheap flavored downtown tobacco.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Rabbit tobacco

it's all about the food... Safari's Avatar

I was amazed by the amount of fit, young hikers puffin away (or chewing that awful stuff you Americans are into)... if the rest of the world forsakes tobacco altogether, the tobacco companies can always fall back on cigarette vending machines installed in AT shelters... on the flip side I almost never saw a cigarette butt on the trail & most hikers were VERY generous when it came to sharing & offering their more illegitimate smoking substance...! Not my scene but a major scene on the trail it is...
    'Have fun & stay cool.' - Ranulph Fiennes

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    American Spirit cigarettes are neither natural, healthy, nor are they manufactured by Native Americans. In point of fact they are owned by the same company that makes Camels, the Reynolds people, and tho they do indeed market several brands made with "organic" tobacco, the perception that the company is somehow, healthy, natural, holisitc, owned and run by and for Indians, etc., well this is all a very well constructed shuck.
    I know- I'll hear a lot of "health conscious" people talking about how much better American Spirits are for you- just goes to show how much packaging and advertising can warp people's minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    NO smoke is "good" for your lungs. folks who smoke ain't nowhere near health concious
    do people claim that they are good for you or that they are better? there is a huge difference between those two claims. American spirit is 100 percent tobacco (it is also I believe organic) there are studies that show that pure tobacco use (as opossed to tabacco with many chemical additives) has less coralation to incidents of things like cancer and other disease smokers tend to develop. Now this of course does not make smoking tabacco good for your health.no I do not smoke, no I have never smoked, no I am not trying to justify my own non existant smoking habit with this rant...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia_claire View Post
    do people claim that they are good for you or that they are better? there is a huge difference between those two claims. American spirit is 100 percent tobacco (it is also I believe organic) there are studies that show that pure tobacco use (as opossed to tabacco with many chemical additives) has less coralation to incidents of things like cancer and other disease smokers tend to develop. Now this of course does not make smoking tabacco good for your health.no I do not smoke, no I have never smoked, no I am not trying to justify my own non existant smoking habit with this rant...
    The method od advertising used by the American Spirit tobacco company is clearly meant to make their cigarettes seem more "wholesome" or good than any other. Sure, additive free is better than other cigarettes, but smoking American Spirits versus menthol Camels is not like eating organic v. non organic cabbage.

The method od advertising used by the American Spirit tobacco company is clearly meant to make their cigarettes seem more "wholesome" or good than any other. Sure, additive free is better than other cigarettes, but smoking American Spirits versus menthol Camels is not like eating organic v. non organic cabbage.
    Yes, it strikes me as a slightly healthier way to kill yourself. Note: I don't recommend smoking cabbage.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

oh, and 15 seconds of research on the companys own site will tell you that they are are not native owned or affiliated

http://www.sfntc.com/FAQ/Overview.aspx

well of course, I don't disagree with that. perhaps we should just say less bad and not more good, or better.....

and yes if you have a positive to begin with(organic cabbage) anthen add a negative (lets say a bad pesticide) you get something worse but might still get a positive

but if you start with a negative (tabacco) and then add a negative (what they add to tabacco) you definatly get a huge negative

Images

Yep Sylvia- I think that's been stated either on here or on a similar thread a couple times.

I will admit, on a really cold hike if I'm planning to have a campfire I might bring my pipe and cherrywood tobacco. I don't really even smoke it, just light it, and get it going, because I love that small. Only if no one objects though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia_claire View Post
    well of course, I don't disagree with that. perhaps we should just say less bad and not more good, or better.....

and yes if you have a positive to begin with(organic cabbage) anthen add a negative (lets say a bad pesticide) you get something worse but might still get a positive

but if you start with a negative (tabacco) and then add a negative (what they add to tabacco) you definatly get a huge negative
    I think that was a very good way of putting it, sylvia.

Images

And besides, you'd think that smoking on trail would make it harder on your lungs, and therefor harder to hike.

Images

the finest in hydroponics

1. Very few of American Spirit's cigarettes are "organic" either in name or in
    fact.

2. There is no such thing as a healthy cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    1. Very few of American Spirit's cigarettes are "organic" either in name or in
    fact.

2. There is no such thing as a healthy cigarette.
    ...and congrats to those who quit!

Images

its Pot that you smell being a survivor of the 60's I know and can recognize the mary jane fragrance- personally got past that stuff many years ago a lot of young hikers indulge but in my book you dont need to get high on the trail the beauty of the AT gives me enough of a high

Images

All the Am. Spir. cigarettes use 100% additive-free whole-leaf tobacco. The Maroon and Gold packs use USDA-certified organic (NOP standard) tobacco.

This tobacco costs a little more than other brands but most people who smoke it would probably agree that Am. Spir. sells a high-quality product, both loose and in cigarettes.

The company has never claimed a direct link to Native Americans. The copy on some of their products mentions the Native American tradition of respectful use of tobacco and suggests using the tobacco in this spirit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++