WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jester 2000, Trash Picker

I was dropping off a hiker south of Harpers Ferry on Saturday (522 road crossing near Front Royal) and noticed an awful lot of trash around. I always have work gloves and some trash bags in my truck, so I started cleaning up and ended up with a full 50 gal. bag.

Because people are disgusting.

I was going to head straight back to Harpers Ferry, but it was a beautiful day so I decided to hit the trailheads between 522 & HF and pick up some more. Worst by far was the large parking lot on the South side of Rt. 7, most likely because of all of the non-hikers who stop there (it's kind of like a rest stop). Got another full bag there. Cleanest was the smaller parking area on the South side of Rt. 7, mainly used by AT hikers.

All in all I ended up with four full bags, but before anyone gets to thinking this was all altruism without reward, I found a Gerber knife and a five dollar bill. . .

So if you're heading out to the trail for the day, throw a trash bag and some gloves in the car. You'll make everything look nicer, and you might just find a prize or two!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Gerber knife and $5 bill yeah I left those there. PM me for the address of where to return the items. Only kidding. Just reward! Good for you Jester!

Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?

What we sow is what we reap! And, what we reap is what we have sown! Amazing how many try to sidestep this universal law!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    . . . Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?
    You know what? It did make me feel good. Which makes me think that all of this do-gooder stuff is actually selfish.

But, you know, in a good way.

Good for you Jester2000!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Gerber knife and $5 bill yeah I left those there. PM me for the address of where to return the items. Only kidding. Just reward! Good for you Jester!

Even without the material award, doesn't it make you feel good to give something back rather than always being in the position of taking taking taking?
    What did he give back? Sounded like he took 4 bags of trash, some poor guy's knife and the lottery winnings of homeless people across America.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    What did he give back? Sounded like he took 4 bags of trash, some poor guy's knife and the lottery winnings of homeless people across America.
    Speaking of lottery winners, also found 4 VA lottery tickets.

And, what can we all learn from this story? Those who play the lottery also tend to be litters!

Default All right enough already.

Very commendable. Altruistic and all that happy stuff. Nice story. Hoo-hah.

Keep the fiver, bub, you may need it, but when do I get my Gerber back ya cheap bastid?

Thank you.

thanks jester.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for taking the time on a nice day, Jester. It does make a difference.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I always pick up all the trash I see- sometimes it adds a disgustingly large amount of weight to my pack. (That's how I got my first trail name- traceless- I picked up all the trash for hundred mile wilderness and beyond)

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Jester, your full of nuts (almonds) and need a stiff drink.

Images

during my fall 07 long section, i called mondays 'trash day', made sure i left town with a trash bag or two, too many weekend hikers have no clue about lnt... if it got to heavy i'd leave it by a road crossing and call it into the local maintenance group
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    during my fall 07 long section, i called mondays 'trash day', made sure i left town with a trash bag or two, too many weekend hikers have no clue about lnt... if it got to heavy i'd leave it by a road crossing and call it into the local maintenance group
    i found a ten spot in the trash can at crater lake.
    it was one of those n.p. type cans with the scoop type thing on the inside of the pull down lid, there it was sitting on the scoop thingy.
    SAAAAAWEEEEEET!!

sounds like you got over payed.. if you were expecting nothing.............. thx for your honest hard work............greg.

The one odd thing about it all was the strange looks and some of the questions I got at the Rt. 7 parking lot. Mainly because nobody can imagine anyone cleaning a parking lot unless it's some sort of court-imposed community service.

I suppose the orange jumpsuit I was wearing didn't help.

Does it say I'm a Hiker..Don't Shoot?
    Or does it still say County?

All Hail Jester
    repeat

I've picked up a lot of trash in my life.

I've also done Adopt a Highway and picked up trash there as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    The one odd thing about it all was the strange looks and some of the questions I got at the Rt. 7 parking lot. Mainly because nobody can imagine anyone cleaning a parking lot unless it's some sort of court-imposed community service....
    What I think you are experiencing, at least in part, Jester, is that cultural norms are changing in the U.S. Many factors are involved, but I find in my lengthy travels across the U.S. every yr. that more and more people are increasingly becoming more self absorbed, fearful, self concerned, prideful, and harshly judgemental when someone does something outside of the cutural norms. I find that it shocks many people or makes them suspicious of alterior motives when someone unexpectedly reaches out to assist someone else! Makes me wonder just what these people are paying attention to to think and behave this way!

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    I've picked up a lot of trash in my life.

I've also done Adopt a Highway and picked up trash there as well...
    Good job! Wait. That first sentence wasn't about your dating life, right? I know that someone in Billville was seriously looking into trying to have Billville Adopt-a-Highway on a section of road near Duncannon. Not sure what happened with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++