WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Don't stress out over "getting in shape". Believe me, you'll get in shape plenty fast enough on your hike. Start slow, those "legs" will come before Damascus.

The best advice I got was from an old running buddy who said- "Don't over analyze it, it's just putting one foot in front of the other". Yep, sure was!

Just do me a favor. Two weeks before your hike soak your feet for 30 minutes twice a day in a strong tea solution. The tannins will toughen up your feet and help prevent blisters. No, it's not an old wives tale.......

Good luck.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I'm hoping not to take too much advil or whatnot, because in my opinion, the more you take, the less it they works. (I'm not really sure about that though)

That may fly in the face of science, but I do agree that one can overdo the meds.

no "training" is needed for backpacking. if you're fat, lose weight. it's walking is all

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I practiced balance by walking the sidewalk curb, first without a pack, and then, with a pack.

I was told not to do deep knee bends. The explanation was shallow knee-bends are better for walking with a pack in the mountains.
    You were told wrong. You need to squat as deep as your anatomy will allow, IE ass-to-grass. The down-squat is defined as hip-flexion, rising from the bottom of the squat is defined as hip-extension. Inability to perform the latter is, along with dementia, what keeps nursing homes full.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/06/...uscle-mass.tpl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI

I also strongly reccomend the deadlift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjBI9...eature=related

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no "training" is needed for backpacking. if you're fat, lose weight. it's walking is all
    So I guess the training that Lone Wolf and I do is just to keep up with those darn bananas...

Rambler

My two cents is:

While I agree that you don't need to "train" to go backpacking, it can't hurt to be in the best possible shape when you start. Low impact aerobic activity (elliptical, biking, swimming) is ideal but that's my own opinion. Your legs are going to get enough pounding up and down the hills with a pack.

Last year I lost 30 pounds getting ready to hike the Inca Trail. I know that made a difference in my hike, and that was only with a daypack. When I strapped on a full pack later last summer to do an AT section, I felt 100 percent better than my section hike the year before when I was heavier.

Default Training

I don't feel like training does any good. I trained like crazy for my first thru and I was still sore and tired during my first couple of months. As I look back it seems like pre-hike training was a lot of wasted effort. I believe in "the trail will get you in shape". Just don't push yourself too hard in the beginning so that you will continue to enjoy hiking. I am still (hopefully) hiking next year and I am not doing anything physically to prepare.
    CT

Images

I would say to keep hitting the gym and get into overall good shape. Wearing your pack doesn't hurt, but I don't think it is necessary. Just keep getting to the gym and working out and you will hit the trail running.

I think the "training" idea is an excellent one, and forget the folks who tell you to ditch the backpack.

You're gonna be wearing your backpack for around six months. The more your body is accustomed to it, the better off you'll be.

So I absolutley WOULD wear a pack around town on occasion, and make sure and put some weight in it, too.

And depending on where you're gonna be for the next few months, and how much time you have, get out in the woods when you can too, meaning don't just walk around town. Walk around in the woods, do some ups and downs.
    Do an overnight if you can.

The single best way to prepare your mind and body to spend a lotta time in the woods and mountains is to spend as much time as possible in the woods and mountains.

Prior to my E2E Long Trail hike last fall, I had planned on training. Well, work got insanely busy leading up to my trip and I never found enough time to get back in shape. I ended up doing a long day on the 3rd day, was sore on the 4th day (but that was a short day anyway), and was set after that. So, I am not going to even have the delusion of doing any training prior to my thru (other than snowboarding and climbing which I would do anyway!). Plus, a couple extra pounds just means less food weight on my back for the first week or two

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbot View Post
    Prior to my E2E Long Trail hike last fall, I had planned on training. Well, work got insanely busy leading up to my trip and I never found enough time to get back in shape. I ended up doing a long day on the 3rd day, was sore on the 4th day (but that was a short day anyway), and was set after that. So, I am not going to even have the delusion of doing any training prior to my thru (other than snowboarding and climbing which I would do anyway!). Plus, a couple extra pounds just means less food weight on my back for the first week or two
    Well, let me correct this and say that I won't be training for the purpose of getting back in shape, but I think training for the purpose of verifying fit of gear is quite important (particularly pack and footwear).

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As usual, there is a chorus "you don't need to train...it is OK to start out-of-shape".

As I like to say, never mind "training"...just think of it as fitness.

What reason is there is be out-of-shape?

You don't have to be ready to bike the "Tour De France"..but some basic level of strength, cardiovascular and endurance fitness is good if you are getting ready for a thru-hike...or want to be healthy in general.

Rather than watch another 1 hr of crappy TV, do something fun that just happens to be exercise. Your hike will be easier mentally and physically when you start off your hike. Approx 80% do not complete a thru-hike...why make it more difficult?

If my buddy who works from 6am - 2pm, has two kids and watches them while his wife is at work nights can exercise 1 hr or so a day, then you all can too. Again, what reason is there to NOT have some basic level of fitness? (Unless you really want to watch that 1 hr of crappy TV 3-4 days a week ).

As you can tell, this is a hobby horse of mine, read this link for even longer rants
    http://mailman.backcountry.net/piper...er/030003.html
    http://mailman.backcountry.net/piper...er/030029.html

Excellent advice from people who say to exercise.

This may help, too:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...425#post184425
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I would throw in a stair master instead of just an elliptical. You aren't going to be walking on perfectly graded trail after all.

That and calf exercises. Heels over the edge of the curb or block or something, lower and lift with your calves only. Remember, most people work their quads and ignore their calf muscles.

.01 - not even .02

The body can take just about anything...it's the mind that needs training.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeWalker View Post
    The body can take just about anything...it's the mind that needs training.
    ...and the mind is in a much better place when you aren't aching, huffing, puffing, sore, tired and miserable.

The mind and body are not separate. They are two parts of one complex machine that works best when both are in harmony. And you can train both at once to help obtain this harmony.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I did those things, I was told, adding only a run-walk twice around the track (1/4 track, change) and did the "dog-trot" on the cross-country course at the college and I didn't need to get my "second wind" for Mountain Rescue.

Now that I am old, I do "yoga-stretch" twice a week at the senior center: core strengthening stretch that improves spine flexibility and enhanced breathing efficiency.

I am still doing it all: kayaking, and hiking in the big mountains.

I still rescue people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbot View Post

Not everyone is 26. Training would do wonders for me at 56. Not likely to happen , though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    ...and the mind is in a much better place when you aren't aching, huffing, puffing, sore, tired and miserable.

The mind and body are not separate. They are two parts of one complex machine that works best when both are in harmony. And you can train both at once to help obtain this harmony.
    I would add your gear into that complex machine...I was at my peak fitness level when I would play soccer 6 days a week in highschool. I could literally run non-stop until I needed to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom. Mentally I was prepared for the outdoors and wanted to be out there. However, this was not enough to keep my from being sore and tired when on the trail. Looking back, my external frame pack simply didn't fit and was not balanced properly. I switched packs, and even though I was no longer at the same level of fitness, I could hike much more comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Not everyone is 26. Training would do wonders for me at 56. Not likely to happen , though.
    Quite true I am not suggesting this for anyone else, but this worked for me. (although, my dad at age 57 did manage to stay with me for the entire trail )

-

I seldom "train" for a hike, hiking is my training, it takes about 2 weeks to get up to speed

Images

I think that the best thing you can use is a step-mill. It's an escalator-like machine but they're pretty rare in gyms. The next best thing would be to walk on a treadmill with a lot of incline. Do 2-3 of sets of lunges 2-3 days per week too so you can build lower-body strength. Other than that, just losing weight in general will be extremely beneficial.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++