WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Question Are Black Bears active in North GA in December?

I'm planning a shakedown hike this month and got to wondering how active the Black Bears are in the Chattahoochee National Forest this time of year. Do I still need to be careful about "Bear Bagging" my smellables?
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Images

Yeah, the bears are still active in December down this way.

Just curious, but do the black bears in the south hibernate in the winter. I will be starting at Springer February 21st. They are normally not active near where I live.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AggieAl View Post
    Just curious, but do the black bears in the south hibernate in the winter. I will be starting at Springer February 21st. They are normally not active near where I live.
    I've seen bears in Georgia in every month of the year. I don't know much about their hibernating habits down here but I know they are out and about when bears in other areas are snoozing.

Black bears in Georgia and North Carolina may hole up for awhile during extreme cold, but they do not truly hibernate like their northern cousins.

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I've seen bears in Georgia in every month of the year. I don't know much about their hibernating habits down here but I know they are out and about when bears in other areas are snoozing.
    I was reading some research on the internet that says a: Bears may not hibernate if food is plentiful: and B: They may not hibernate if they haven't stored enough food to be able to make it through the winter. I guess either way we need to watch out for the bears all year long.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

I hiked the Smokies in Jan. with temps down to 2 degrees and still have seen bear tracks after a fresh snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuney View Post
    I'm planning a shakedown hike this month and got to wondering how active the Black Bears are in the Chattahoochee National Forest this time of year. Do I still need to be careful about "Bear Bagging" my smellables?
    Black bears as a whole are a lot less active this time of year in that area, but you can see them http://www.bear.org/website/index.ph...=61&Itemid=122

Default Another Bear Track Story

Quote Originally Posted by xnav View Post
    I hiked the Smokies in Jan. with temps down to 2 degrees and still have seen bear tracks after a fresh snow.
    I walked through the Smokies in Jan '08 and saw bear tracks in snow too. I've seen bear tracks other years in snow...in the middle of winter, when people say they should be in hibernation, so yes, they do move around then too.

The thing about the tracks in the Smokies that amazed me more than anything was where the bear went....up a steep hill through brush so thick you wouldn't think anything could get through it. It gave me a new appreciation for just how rugged wildlife can be.

Tuney....not sure what "smellables" you're talking about, but all my "smellables" stay in my tent with me.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Tuney....not sure what "smellables" you're talking about, but all my "smellables" stay in my tent with me.
    You had to go there, but since you did I'll second that approach

Journal Entries
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    You had to go there, but since you did I'll second that approach
    Ok! You got me. The worst of my smellables stay in my tent with me too. However, in this case we often use the term with our Younger boy scouts to mean all food, cosmetics, film, unopened candy bars, water bottles that have been used for flavored beverages etc. that need to go up in the Bear Bag.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Bears don't really hibernate at all. In Northern areas they do spend a lot of time sleeping during the winter, but they do not hibernate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    Bears don't really hibernate at all. In Northern areas they do spend a lot of time sleeping during the winter, but they do not hibernate.
    Hey Doc, maybe you should read a little more and not get your information via word-of-mouth.

Black bears do hibernate, true they are genetically predisposed to hibernate longer in some areas than others, but regardless they hibernate.

Some of the things that happen to them which makes them hibernators, NOT simply sleeping:

- They use up to 4,000 kcal per day[sic], mainly body fat, but do not eat, drink, urinate, or defecate.

- They can reduce oxygen consumption and metabolic rate by half and breathe only once every 45 seconds.

- Heart rate can drop periodically to 8-21 beats per minute, and blood flow to skeletal muscle, particularly the legs, can be reduced by 45% or more

- Blood perfusion rates of peripheral tissues can fall below levels needed for aerobic metabolism in human

Educate yourself and stop repeating what others say: http://www.bear.org/website/index.ph...=61&Itemid=122

++ New Posts ++