WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb interested in hiking for 2 weeks

my friend and i are interested in hiking this summer for two weeks on the AT, were not very experienced but would lvove to try it out, any sugestions on where to start.. miles? etc.

Oops, somebody beat you to the punch. Check out this thread going on now:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55697

Good luck.

Images

I would recommend PA (because that is the trail nearest to you that I know). But a lot of people feel intensly irritated about all the rocks on the trail in PA. But I think it's a great place to hike, and I love it. So I suggest from Delaware Water Gap to Port Clinton.

Hey, maybe I'll see you there- I'll be up in PA by around mid- late June.

Since you've indicated you're not too experienced, you may want to consider a 3-5 day hike first but only you know your capabilities and conditioning - physical and mental.

Living in NY and hiking in the summer: I suggest hiking between Great Barrington, MA and Rt. 4 Sherburne Pass, VT for a 170-180 mile hike for your 2 weeks. For a 3-5 day hike, try Sherburne Pass south to Manchester (VT Rts 11 & 30) - about 55 miles. These hikes are a bit cooler than the low elevations closer to your home; less heat & humidity. I don't know what your gear situation is but be sure to bring a tent because you're hiking in mosquito season.

Good luck - I hope whatever hike you choose proves successful! As you gain more experience, you'll have a great time on the trails!

This May I did a 175 mile section from Bear Mtn Bridge to Cheshire, MA in 10 days. Fairly easy hike with lots of places to eat and re-supply along the way. Mosquitos weren't that big of a problem but be careful of the ticks.

The rocks in PA actually continue until High Point, NJ. I wouldn't hike south of there for a first timer due to the fact that, in my opinion, you run a higher risk of getting nasty blisters.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Cooker may be right- my first hike was three weeks long, but I was with a group and a couple experienced outdoors-people.

But honestly, it's just hiking. Go for a longer one- who knows? Maybe you'll adapt really well to it.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    This May I did a 175 mile section from Bear Mtn Bridge to Cheshire, MA in 10 days. Fairly easy hike with lots of places to eat and re-supply along the way. Mosquitos weren't that big of a problem but be careful of the ticks......
    That's a nice hike and by doing it in May, you likely avoided the mosquitos. I hiked from Bear Mountain to Rt. 22 near Pawling in June; the weather was hot during the day and the mosquitos were out at night.

A very nice short section is the Shenandoahs. It's a little over 100 miles. The advantage (besides scenary) is that if you have problems, it's easy to bail. Also, there are camp stores and an occasional restaurant so you don't have to carry a full load. If you are doing well there you could continue through northern Virginia to Harpers Ferry. Early June is a nice time because of the flowers (mountain laurel) but it can be chilly. You'll meet thruhikers then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    A very nice short section is the Shenandoahs. It's a little over 100 miles. The advantage (besides scenary) is that if you have problems, it's easy to bail. Also, there are camp stores and an occasional restaurant so you don't have to carry a full load. If you are doing well there you could continue through northern Virginia to Harpers Ferry. Early June is a nice time because of the flowers (mountain laurel) but it can be chilly. You'll meet thruhikers then as well.
    Spirit Walker is referring to Shenandoah National Park in the Blue Ridge Mountains - another good idea for you. Here's their website. You can get excellent maps from the PATC.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Agree - Shenandoah is an excellent begninner hike, Rockfish Gap to start then hike on north to Harpers Ferry.

June isn't chilly in VA (I've lived here 22 years). We usually spike to 90. This past summer's coolness was rare.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I'd also say the shenny's. I did it solo last summer and would be great for beginners. You dont need to carry a lotta food being resupply is easy at camp stores and you can eat at them as well as the lodges and have a few cold draft beers. If anyone doesn't like stealth or shelters you have a couple campgrounds to stay at and they have pay showers(awesome). The views are wonderfull and the hiking is pretty easy. Tons of wildlife to be seen. Every year I do small hikes in the northeast and also put in a two week hike somewhere but I do suggest ya do a long weekend hike(fri,sat,sun) to see if the 2 weeker would be right for youz. Enjoy!!
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Images

ill second the Shennies. relatively level, wildlife abounds, commercialized (come on now, who doesnt want a milkshake after nine hours of hiking), and lots of nice people who live nearby like Blissful

Images

i would suggest hiking Monday to Friday, and spend the weekend paddling down the Shenandoah or the Rappahanock (sp?). or go swim in the ocean in Va Beach, its about three and a half hours away.
    SNP is littered with tourists during the weekend, i will never go on a weekend again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksaari View Post
    ....SNP is littered with tourists during the weekend, i will never go on a weekend again!!!
    You should try it in the winter.

Journal Entries

I'm going to be looking for hiking partners for the middle two weeks of May. Most likely from High Point SP to Port Clinton. But sections like Damascus to Pearisburg, Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry.....are not out of the question. E-Mail me [email protected] so we can compare distances to cover (11days of hiking), car shuttles, hiking styles.

Images

SNP is kind of like a Disney movie with all the birds chirping and deer frolicking and such. Great place for a first trip. And don't miss the nightly entertainment at the Skyland lodge, I can't believe they don't charge a cover.

Anywhere in Virginia would be my first suggestion, what a wonderful state. Thank God and Guns we didn't lose VA in the 1860's!

Suggest an out-point of Harper's Ferry, or further south in Waynesboro.

Also, Vermont is very nice if you can get there when it isn't known as Mudmont, or Vermud (July for me).

Have fun and don't let your little experience bother you, just keep a dry set of clothes and dry sleeping bag. You can weather most things out but wet+cold+time = hypothermia and the end of your hike.

Don't overpack. The heavier your load, the less your fun (on average, no guarantee on anything!).

Again, have fun.

++ New Posts ++