WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Therm-A-Rest® NeoAir™ What do you guys think?

I'm looking for a pad to replace my thermarest prolite. I like to fold it in a square and pack it into the bottom of my pack that is why I like the prolite. I was thinking this would be alot more compact but I'm not sure. I checked one out a couple months ago and it felt like the material wasnt to durable, plus the price was a little high, any input?

Try a domain constrained search on this site (and perhaps other relevant ones). For example, using google's 'advanced' search page, then enter "http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum" in the line that says "Search within a site or domain:", and put "neoair" as the text to search for. You'll definitely get a number of hits.

There are already many many threads about the neoair, on this site as well as others such as backpackinglight.com and backcountryforum.com and others, so IMO yet another thread about this isn't needed, unless you want to just focus on something narrow like "fold it up and put it in the bottom of my pack". On that particular topic, I roll mine, and then stick it in a gallon ziplock bag as a case and toss it in towards the bottom of the pack --- works fine. Overall packed volume is indeed low relative to the inflated size. For durability and cost and other more general issues ... well covered already in various threads.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you're a side sleeper, you don't use a frameless pack, and you can afford it, then you've definitely got to try it.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Isn't the NeoAir the one that makes the annoying crinkley sounds when you roll over on it?

20th century technology.

21st century pricing.

"Isn't the NeoAir the one that makes the annoying crinkley sounds when you roll over on it?"

Also well covered in existing threads, but it's a matter of opinion. Indeed some people have talked about this. My recollection is that I don't recall [m]any that reported this as a problem after actually sleeping outdoors on one, more just an initial reaction of trying it out in stores, but I may be mistaken there (did I mention that there are a lot of threads discussing this "hottest piece of gear for 2009"?).

My own feeling from having slept just a few nights on backpacking trips on mine is that this noise seems pretty minimal in actual use, for me it's not at all an issue --- I don't notice it.

Images
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

Thanks for the link and input, I did search.....a little, but yes I was more focused on the "packing factor" of the neo air. I'm just trying to save a trip to the local outfitter, if there even is one here any more. I'm thinking about doing a thru with a Go Lite ion pack, so volume is the major concern. I know my prolite is going to be to big to fold and store, but I'm not sure if I would be saving that much room with the small neo air, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Thanks for the link and input, I did search.....a little, but yes I was more focused on the "packing factor" of the neo air. I'm just trying to save a trip to the local outfitter, if there even is one here any more. I'm thinking about doing a thru with a Go Lite ion pack, so volume is the major concern. I know my prolite is going to be to big to fold and store, but I'm not sure if I would be saving that much room with the small neo air, thanks.
    It packs down significantly smaller than my Prolite 4. I haven't packed it into my ULA Conduit yet, that is, pack it into a pack where it aids the suspension. I know it will take up less volume though. I didn't buy the TR stuffsack, but instead used a silnylon sack that I already had. It was a small snack bag. I only had mine out for 2 nights so I have been holding back on other comments. It is certainly a very comfortable pad, a little narrow in my opinion, I almost wish I had splurged and got the grande as I'm 6'2" and had the Prolite 4 previously. Time will tell.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

It isn't for everyone but then again, nothing is. I bought one and I really like it because I am a side sleeper and it sleeps GREAT. Best sleep I get in the woods is with the Neoair and the weight and compression are awesome.
    Fast is fine but accurate is final....Wyatt Earp

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Isn't the NeoAir the one that makes the annoying crinkley sounds when you roll over on it?
    YES- A lot of people aren't bothered by it, but I slept beneath someone (hostel bunks) who was sleeping on a neoair. Every time he turned, I could crinkling. If I had been able to find my earplugs that night, I'm sure it would've been fine though... I might get it, I like soft sleeping!

Images

But I'm a side sleeper too, which is my main reason for really wanting the neoair. I have heard that it's a bit difficult to inflate though- takes a lot of breath. (It isn't self inflating)

Images

I sowed a sleeve for mine- tyvek on the bottom, a old sham pillow case on the top.

It adds a little weight but it also adds a layer of moisture & puncture resistance to the bottom and an additional layer of comfort to the top. I thought this would also reduce the crinkle-factor.

It slept great. It packs down tiny- I sometimes have trouble finding it.
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    But I'm a side sleeper too, which is my main reason for really wanting the neoair. I have heard that it's a bit difficult to inflate though- takes a lot of breath. (It isn't self inflating)
    8-12 big breaths to fully inflate, but you probably don't want to sleep on it fully inflated. If you can lug yourself up and down mountains all day, then you can inflate this baby (but you might have to stop and rest in the middle).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    20th century technology.

21st century pricing.
    I think you are misinformed about the state of the technology, but with regard to the pricing I think we're still probably a decade of inflation away from $100+ prices for sleeping pads seeming appropriate!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    8-12 big breaths to fully inflate, but you probably don't want to sleep on it fully inflated. If you can lug yourself up and down mountains all day, then you can inflate this baby (but you might have to stop and rest in the middle).
    Yeah, I'm totally sold on the neoair. (Christmas list is getting a little long...)

i heard there was a problem with the air valves leaking anyone else here about this
    GRAVY

Quote Originally Posted by gravy4601 View Post
    i heard there was a problem with the air valves leaking anyone else here about this
    I just returned two new Thermarest pads due to leaky air valves, and I talked to a guy at Backcountry.com about the problems and he says Thermy is installing "new, upgraded valves" on their pads. He told me the name of the new valves but I forgot.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

If volume is a concern, then I would say any inflatable mattress packs smaller than an equal size self-inflator or CCF pad. I use a BA pad, but I've been looking at the neoair for weight savings.

I pack my inflatable with my sleeping bag... I roll up the mattress, stick it in in my stuff sack, and stuff the sleeping bag inside the "tube" that the pad forms (the same method many use for putting a rolled up self-inflator inside their pack). The stuffed package is the same size as my stuffed sleeping bag, just packed more firmly, and therefore, by some twisted logic, my inflatable pad takes up zero space!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    ...and therefore, by some twisted logic, my inflatable pad takes up zero space!
    That's because it is now occupying another of the 11 dimensions that make up the M-version of string theory. Pretty soon we'll be able to carry along all of our worldly possessions without adding any weight to a pack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++