WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default VA- Deer firearms season 11-14-09

General firearms season for deer opens 11-14-09. Up until now it's been bows and muzzleloaders, now it's high powered rifles so please wear blaze orange if you're out in the woods in Virginia.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Or come to Shenandoah National Park to hike in Virginia. No hunting allowed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Or come to Shenandoah National Park to hike in Virginia. No hunting allowed.
    It might not be allowed, but I wouldn't bet my life on there not being anyone hunting there.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Wear Blaze Orange in SNP.... It is a long narrow park and peolpe shoot towards it all the time.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan View Post
    Wear Blaze Orange in SNP.... It is a long narrow park and peolpe shoot towards it all the time.

Pan

Down in the hollows, closer to the Park boundaries, there is no doubt that hikers should be wary of hunters and their guns.

But up on the ridge where the AT is—not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    General firearms season for deer opens 11-14-09. Up until now it's been bows and muzzleloaders, now it's high powered rifles so please wear blaze orange if you're out in the woods in Virginia.
    Is neon yellow ok for mountain biking?

There are a lot of deer in the SNP too...and I'd not be shocked if someone is poaching up in there. Truly there are so many up there around Big Meadow that they should allow some hunting to keep the numbers in check.

Be careful...I thought hunting must have started Saturday as the local hunt club (across from our farm) had cars in and out of there all day.

Images

how worried should i be about hunters if i am wearing blaze orange? im planning on hiking from somewhere in maryland to SNP starting the sunday after thanksgiving.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    It might not be allowed, but I wouldn't bet my life on there not being anyone hunting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan View Post

Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Down in the hollows, closer to the Park boundaries, there is no doubt that hikers should be wary of hunters and their guns.

But up on the ridge where the AT is—not so much.
    Hiked a stretch in the central district starting at Big Meadows nobo to Skyland week ago last Saturday before the official start of firearms season and heard gunshots all along my hike which was an out and back of 16 miles.

As previously mentioned the park boundries can become mighty narrow in spots in Shenandoah making a casual hike on a crisp Autumn day anything but carefree.

Just a reminder that we all need to be more conscious of keeping ourselves safe even if it means wearing bright reflective material.

As for me , I will wait and make hay another day . No orange for me.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

++ New Posts ++