WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Which one do you like more NF or NP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default National Forests vs National Parks

Which do you enjoy recreating in more? Which one do you feel like your more out in the wild away from crowds?

The national forests near me have good oportunities, few crowds, and little in annoying controls.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

national forests for sure cuz in my rainbow days it was cool. lotsa drugs and stuff, we used to trash the places and the good hippies would clean up after us

National Forest are cool but they're not half as spectacular as National Parks. Plus, you don't have to worry about getting shot by a hunter in a Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    National Forest are cool but they're not half as spectacular as National Parks. Plus, you don't have to worry about getting shot by a hunter in a Park.
    There are national parks that allow hunting.

Images

this is such an obvious poll that it is funny! Of course National Forests get you away from the crowds more than National Parks... but both have their usefulness. I enjoy them both.

Whenever I did NF's or NP's I found there was no such thing as 'crowds' an hour's hike from the parking lot. That particularly applied in the VA/MD/WV area in the early 80's when one of my motivations for backpacking was to get away...especially from people. Maybe it's changed but backpacking popularity is down from then and I'd be surprised that one finds crowds in the backcountry. You guys can correct me. Certainly you can plan a trip for 'isolation' if that's what you're looking for.

As for NP or NF I really have no preference...it all depends on the trails themselves and where they lead... The past couple years have been a mix but mostly wilderness areas. The main 'rule' differences I find are the NP prohibition of dogs (which no longer accompany me) and NP specified camp sites.

I didn't realize some NPs allow hunting...which ones? The NP hunting here in my area is called, "poaching."

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Whenever I did NF's or NP's I found there was no such thing as 'crowds' an hour's hike from the parking lot. That particularly applied in the VA/MD/WV area in the early 80's when one of my motivations for backpacking was to get away...especially from people. Maybe it's changed but backpacking popularity is down from then and I'd be surprised that one finds crowds in the backcountry. You guys can correct me. Certainly you can plan a trip for 'isolation' if that's what you're looking for.

As for NP or NF I really have no preference...it all depends on the trails themselves and where they lead... The past couple years have been a mix but mostly wilderness areas. The main 'rule' differences I find are the NP prohibition of dogs (which no longer accompany me) and NP specified camp sites.

I didn't realize some NPs allow hunting...which ones? The NP hunting here in my area is called, "poaching."

FB
    Denali National Park and Preserve you can hunt. If it has the word Preserve in the name, you can hunt there.

Images

Agree. But, I will go for NF anyday x 10. Depending on hunting.

Journal Entries

National Parks have more crowds than National Forests because they have more tourist attractions that you can drive to -- like Old Faithful at Yellowstone, Thunderhole in Acadia.

Crowded trails are rare in both National Parks and National Forests in my experience. Though there are exceptions. Tuckerman's in the White Mountain National Forest is busier than any National Park Trail that I've seen -- but my national experience is very limited.

I've yet to see a crowded trail in Acadia National Park in Maine that was more than a half mile from the trailhead. The same was true on my few visits to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Georgia. And also true when I've explored Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon.

We met almost no one on an eight mile walk to the Colorado River via the South Kaibab Trail one August. After a couple of days exploring the Indian ruins around Phantom Ranch, we ascended via Bright Angel, which was a bit busier, but not much.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    national forests for sure cuz in my rainbow days it was cool. lotsa drugs and stuff, we used to trash the places and the good hippies would clean up after us
    Now that's funny right there!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by ATBuddy View Post
    There are national parks that allow hunting.
    Not to the general public, only to guys assigned to eradicate animals such as feral pigs in the Smokies.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    this is such an obvious poll that it is funny! Of course National Forests get you away from the crowds more than National Parks... but both have their usefulness. I enjoy them both.
    Like the White Mountain National Forest? No crowds there. If you get out into the backcountry in NP's you seldom see anyone.

Denali National Park and Preserve you can hunt. If it has the word Preserve in the name, you can hunt there.
    In the Preserve section, not in the area known as the NP.

True only outside the core of the park. No hunting in the original park boundaries. This is a rare exception in the park system.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

On the A.T. anyway, I'd have to say National Forests.

Fewer people; fewer rules and regulations; less interaction with automobiles and roads; best of all, fewer restrictions and specifications on where one can camp/overnight.

I like em both. Generally in the East, the National Forests are preferable because you can see wonderful sights and experience nature from the Eastern deciduous forest without the crowds. Good example: Shenandoah NP has lot of people expecially during Fall weekends, summer, and nice Spring weekends but a short distance away (and a world apart peoplewise) lies George Washington National Forest with lots of good hiking and views. And Monongahela National Forest is even better. Also, some national forests are the only protection for vast tracts like White Mountains.

As multiple use agencies, national forests are more vulnerable to exploitation to logging, mining, drilling etc. so us recreational and nature users must be vigilent when forest plans are issued and revised.

But I certainly wouldn't bad-mouth National Parks. There are some natural wonders which are housed only in NPs like Yosemite Valley, Yellowstone, Mt. Rainier, Zion, Denali, Crater Lake. And even those well-visited parks still have relative solitude in the back country. And then there are those less-visited National Parks like Big South Fork, Great Baisin, Voyageurs, Lassen. For me, it's not an either/or question; they both have their advantages.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I've yet to see a crowded trail in Acadia National Park in Maine that was more than a half mile from the trailhead.

Weary
    Either we need to take a walk, or define crowded.

You are correct that getting away from the trailhead helps, but it isn't big enough here to spread people out like in the West.

In the Preserve section, not in the area known as the NP.
    Its still a national park. National Park Rangers enforce the laws in the preserve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++