WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone know a place to get cheap wool socks?

Just wondering if any of you guys know a website that sells wool socks on the cheap...I'm not looking for high end hiking socks...just some basic, warm wool socks for kickin around the house on cold winter nights...thanks

Images

Costco or Sam's club. I just bought four pair of wool socks for $15
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Journal Entries
    Images

IT's Hunting Season! 2pair top quality wicking in the Hunting Dept. $9 Get a quantity as they dissappear after January and won't be back till late October next year.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Costco has a knock off that are a lot like Smartwool's that are 4 pairs for $10. I use them for everyday use but Smartwool's for hiking.

I sort of hate to say this but Walmart is a good place to look for socks. What you want to do is read the contents listed very carefully. Wool=warm and wicking. Nylon=strength and wear resistance. Polyester=less water absorbed and quick drying. Miracle fibers=various strengths and weaknesses. Cotton=comfy at home.
    My favorite warm, comfy, wicking fiber is alpaca--not at Wally World though and not usually cheap. My next favorite is angora, which I have found at many stores. Nylon dress socks off the rack make good liners. You can buy local and look for good quality and construction. Flat toe seams are important. As far as brands that are reliable to buy on the net-Fox River, Smartwool, Bridgedale have all worked for me. Also, you might like fleece socks for at home or nighttime at camp. They don't work too well in hiking boots but are ok in Tevas and winter pakboots. IMHO highend socks are getting way out of line pricewise.

Another vote for Costco. I wear 'em every day, including for hiking.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Costco socks are not available on line. So sad. I'm wearing them right now!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

sierra trading post bro!!!

Default Campmor

Quote Originally Posted by NEGAhiker View Post
    Just wondering if any of you guys know a website that sells wool socks on the cheap...I'm not looking for high end hiking socks...just some basic, warm wool socks for kickin around the house on cold winter nights...thanks
    The Costco socks are cheaper, but the Campmor socks my favorites. Here is the link:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19830

Shutterbug

I use the Costco as well. $2.50 a pair!!!!! Merino wool. Don't get any better. I use them winter and summer.

Images

try wally mart I just bought a pair of wool blend socks with antimicrobial properties yesterday for 6.99

Another vote for Sierra Trading Post. I just ordered 5 pairs of Bridgedales for about $6 each with a coupon. Bridgedales are my personal favorite.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

If you are ever near Cleveland, TN there is a factory outlet store (actually in the factory) where you can get SmartWool socks dirt cheap. I'm talking like $3 a pair! The selection changes frequently and they don't always have the right kind of SW socks so it is hit and miss. They also have a good selection of cotton socks at really nice prices. I've never left there without a nice bagful of socks and spent less than $20. There is a thread on this forum somewhere with directions to the store.
    Papa John

El Sordo
    Images

exit 27. turn towards Cleveland and go to Michigan Ave. Turn left and go a couple of miles. The building is a non-descript metal warehouse where the socks are made. the outlet is in the front of the building. I think there's a small sign on the right sign of the road alerting you to the turn off to Charleston Hosiery Mill.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Definitly the Sam's Club / Cosco socks. Got enough to wear everyday in winter, not just for hiking. Soft, warm. Excellent socks. Can't beat the price.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    exit 27. turn towards Cleveland and go to Michigan Ave. Turn left and go a couple of miles. The building is a non-descript metal warehouse where the socks are made. the outlet is in the front of the building. I think there's a small sign on the right sign of the road alerting you to the turn off to Charleston Hosiery Mill.
    Thanks for the directions! I remember I was heading home and was coming up on Cleveland when I remembered about the sock outlet. I had no idea of where it was or even what exit. So, I got on the cellphone and called my daughter and had her come to WB and do a search for the directions.
    Papa John

Images

try tj max or marshalls. you can often find smartwools or icebreakers that have 'cosmetic defects only' for $5 a pair
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

local army surplus/pwan shop about 3.00 per pair new smart wool and others

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I have found old school ragg wool socks for $7 a pair at the local army/navy store. It is what I use for winter activities (ski touring mainly). They are warm and wear like iron.

Very similar to these:
    http://jetsfloridaoutdoors.com/store...SD&language=en
    Last edited by Mags; 11-16-2009 at 13:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I bought some of those from a surplus store I buy from (http://www.majorsurplus.com/Default.aspx ).
    They were labeled as "swedish army socks" 3 pair for 10 or 12 dollars. I kinda think "rag wool" is the key word here

Wore them for a few years, heavy enough for slippers at home. The bottoms finally wore out and I couldn't find replacements anywhere. They took some getting used to as they were itchy as hell at first.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

++ New Posts ++