WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Weather in SNP in Nov.?

Thanks for all the great tips on SNP. Can't wait to hike it. I'm just wondering what the weather will be like up in the mountains so I can plan what to wear. Could it get below freezing? And what's the precip like right now? Wet/Dry?

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

Oh im sure itll get cold. in november im sure itll dip bellow freezing, maybe even consistantly. i know it did in the coastal area where i grew up. precip, well im pretty sure you can expect some i doubt it will be dry, although im not really sure. plan for wet.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You should definitely prepare for sub-freezing temperatures. Looking at the average and record temperatures for Front Royal for November, which is down in the valley, sub-freezing temperatures are commonplace. Last week the temperatures were falling into the mid-30's by morning.

I'd plan on bringing a zero-degree bag, or at least a 15-degree with liner and dry clothes. You'll certainly want to be prepared for wet weather, if for no other reason than getting wet at near-freezing temperatures can be life-threatening. I would certainly expect that you might need to walk in windproof fleece on your torso. I've found that long pants suffice for fast walking even on cold weather days. I would recommend at least R2/Polartec 200 weight fleece for camp, both top and bottom. I used R1 last week combined with 1-2 other dry layers and was sufficiently warm in camp most evenings and mornings.

In addition, note that sunrise is about 7 AM and sunset comes at 5 PM, so you only have 10 hours of daylight. This makes for very short hiking days with very long nights where you're trying to keep warm.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

You can find a weather almanac for the park as well as current conditions at:

http://www.shenandoah.national-park.com/weather.htm

++ New Posts ++