WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I have to agree with redneck and Jester on this- and I know, I'm just repeating what they've already said more efficiently. But to go to an outfitter, use the service they offer by having them spend their time outfitting you, answering questions, etc... then say so long, and save five bucks by buying it online is not cool.

Besides, packs, like Birkenstocks, can occasionally change size very slightly from one to the next. And you might as well learn how to adjust it to your body from the outfitter. And you'll have to pay shipping. And if you buy it from the outfitter, you'll have it right away, which is SO much more exciting than seeing it, and waiting to buy it.

Campmor for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Campmor for sure
    ditto on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kiteskimo View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone...it's been really helpful. I will probably end up buying most of my gear online, but I'll go to the store to try on the pack to see if it fits.

And thank you, Wheeler, for the warning about the Exos. I'll probably end up checking out the ULA pack as well.

Totem...I've actually bought a few things (water bladder and stuff sacks) at walmart and they have served their purpose well so far.

Young Moose, next time I go to nyc I'll check out Paragon...looks good so far.

I'd like to strongly warn you against Paragon Sports. They may have a nice selection, but the staff is horrible. I worked at the EMS in NYC for a year and a half and customers continually complained about the lack of knowledge the Paragon's staff had. If you know what you want going into the store I'd say go for it, if you want personal attention with an informed staff go to EMS. EMS will take back anything too, I've never heard of any store with a better return policy. EMS just remodeled the store too and it is now their flagship store.

Or check out both stores if you have the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Mint View Post
    I'd like to strongly warn you against Paragon Sports. They may have a nice selection, but the staff is horrible. I worked at the EMS in NYC for a year and a half and customers continually complained about the lack of knowledge the Paragon's staff had. If you know what you want going into the store I'd say go for it, if you want personal attention with an informed staff go to EMS. EMS will take back anything too, I've never heard of any store with a better return policy. EMS just remodeled the store too and it is now their flagship store.

Or check out both stores if you have the time.
    Or check Tent N Trails in downtown Manhattan. While the new EMS is much much improved, over at TnT we used to hear the same daily complaints about the nitwits at EMS and Paragon (I'm sure it depends on who you are talking to).

As much as I love Campmor, I'm routinely dissapointed by their pack dept. If you are in search of a 4-7 lb pack they have a nice selection, but for lightweight stuff, not much to speak of. Then again, I'm an independent Cottage gear guy myself.

Best of luck
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

AFAIK Paragon has a similar return policy to EMS. I've never had a problem returning to Paragon but I've only returned totally unused items with all the tags still on.

I am currently having a problem with EMS because I had to get a new credit card number. The Soho store is refusing the return because their policy is to pay back returns "in the same form" and they are taking the position that a different credit card is not the same form.

Paragon is reliable if you are leaving on a hike tomorrow and you need an 8-oz fuel canister, a map of the AT in CT, a Coghlans camping mirror, and a medium-sized bottle of Dr. Bronners soap. Most of the merchandise is at full list price and some is even above

Paragon practices hard sell. The salespeople get a commission. The store does not want any customer to be wait more than 30 seconds before a salesperson asks if you need help. Everything has to involve a commission. Even if you buy one pair of running sox, the salesperson has to put their little sticker on it so that when the cashier rings it up it'll be credited to the proper person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++