WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Working for the AMC?

I'm certain people on WB have worked/work for the AMC. My question is, what do you think? I'm not interested in making a fortune, just enjoy what I'm doing and feel that I'm also getting something out of it. I quit a high paying job to do the AT this year and realize the futility in chasing after money. I'm looking for work that's more meaningful. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Images

I know how loaded the topic on the AMC is here on the WB, however, I would like to say that I have always had a desire to work as hut croo for one summer... My favorite hut so far is probabbly Lonesome Lake hut, and it had nothing to do with all the cute girls that I saw working there, wink wink. I can imagine, if you can get past the fact that you are working for the appalachian money club, it would be a fantastic experience and something that, like hiking the trail, would be unforgettable.. Would love to here some imput from people that have actually worked on trail,,,, AMC caretakers, hut croo, ect.....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

AMC is a rather low paying nonprofit and most jobs are in Boston with its high cost of living. If your looking to work in the woods and make a living look into the US forrest service or national park service or the state counterparts.

You might also consider working for one of the trail maintaining clubs such as MATC. Check out our website for current recruiting efforts.

Journal Entries

I've never worked for AMC. But as a newspaper reporter, as a volunteer for the Maine Chapter, and as a partner with AMC/Maine Appalachian Trail Club in our joint opposition to the Redington Mountain wind developments, and other developments for or against, over these many decades, all those employed by AMC that I met seem proud of their association, or former association.

In 40 years of such associations, I've met scores of AMC employees, and former employees. None have struck me in our many casual conversations and some professional conversations, as having felt anything but support for AMC and it's many years of dealing in the complex New England environment.

As both a kid and an adult I've camped and hiked on AMC maintained trails and on lands the club has managed; I've dealt in some depth with Maine issues over the decades; and, followed with interest regional issues involving AMC.

My conclusions from this long and continuing association:

+ AMC is a great organization.

+ I would love to work for AMC if I were not 80-years-old and seeking to shed responsibilities, not take on new ones.

So, go for it. If you can persuade AMC to hire you.

You, like me, won't agree with all AMC priorities. But I suspect you will understand them. And your employment will prove to be a positive learning and living experience.

Weary

++ New Posts ++