WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    So much good information... thanks!

Just a couple of followups....

1. Any problems finding a place to pitch a tent?
    Most of New Jersey - the first 45 miles in state forests and state parks - plus Harriman Park in NY do not allow camping except in shelter areas or designated campsites. Also part of NJ lies in Walkill National Wildlife Refuge which in all likelihood prohibits camping.

Unlike the Smokies, you can pitch your tent in shelter areas but your stealth camping opportunities are very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I think that's an exaggeration. First of all, the initial ascent from DWG to the ridgeline is easy and also pleasant because the creek drowns out the noises of Interstate 80. Secondly, the only place I recall a rockfield really slowing me down a la Pennsylvania was approaching and hiking near Sunfish Pond. I made pretty good time on the rest of NJ.

The other point I'll make is that the first portion of your hike - DWG to Rt. 17A/Greenwood Lake - is easy. From 17A on to Bear Mountain, the trail is noticeably more difficult with lots of short but steep ups and downs. In particular, be careful on the steep descents with thick dry oak leaves underfoot; they're very slippery. West Mountain is especially tricky.
    Sorry, I just noticed now that you're hiking SOBO. My advice still holds - just adjust for the order and locations.

And I respectfully disagree with Tinker - I would not characterize Bear Mountain to the NY/NJ border as "smooth sailing" with the steep climbs and slippery leaves.

Images

Sorry, I just noticed now that you're hiking SOBO. My advice still holds - just adjust for the order and locations.

And I respectfully disagree with Tinker - I would not characterize Bear Mountain to the NY/NJ border as "smooth sailing" with the steep climbs and slippery leaves.
    I believe his statement was in-terms of the ankle l biting and twisting rocks. There are climbs with no bout and with the lack of snow fall the leaves will be slippery. but the rocky path is not as bad.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Just a followup question....

I'm going to start with 3 days worth of food and the only place I'm planning to get off the trail is at Unionville....

Can I grab enough food at Horlers to go the last 50ish miles?

Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?

hope the weather holds - I'm 12 days out from starting...

Images

Just a followup question....

I'm going to start with 3 days worth of food and the only place I'm planning to get off the trail is at Unionville....

Can I grab enough food at Horlers to go the last 50ish miles?

Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?

hope the weather holds - I'm 12 days out from starting...
    If Horlers is the Market in Unionville, yes you can get enough there, the selection is decent.
    Don't think any showers are less than a mile, but you can get a meal at the restaurant/pub at Rt 206 and snacks/food at the Farm on Rt 94, both less than a quarter mile from the trail
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Hi, 10-K,

My wife and I have done the portion from Elk Pen (just inside the west edge of Harriman Park) to Vernon, so I can answer questions on that area at least:

1.) From Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman Park to High Point Shelter is 50.5 miles. There are exactly three legal places to camp in that stretch: Wildcat Shelter, Wawayanda Shelter, and Pochuck Mountain Shelter (which we haven't been too yet). While we didn't stay at Wildcat, we did have lunch there, so we got a good look at it. It's reasonably comfortable, but it's a bit off the trail (0.5 mile or so), the water source didn't look real great even in a wet period, and it's up on the ridge, so it gets cold when its windy (we were out on a very windy day and it was quite cold.) Wawayanda, on the other hand, is lower and warmer, and is close to the trail, but the shelter is smaller, so if there's anybody at all when you get there, you'll have to tent. The water is a spigot at the state park office half a mile away, which I assume will be on, but I don't know that for sure.
    2.) One possibility for lodging is you could check to see if there's any motels open in Greenwood Lake. It's off season, so you could probably get a good price. There's a trail that goes right into town, and you could get a taxi ride back up in the morning (more on that later.) If you do go there, check out the pizza place right in the center of town on the main drag. It looks like the dumpiest little diner you've ever seen, but the pizza is fabulous: great cheese and a nice thin crust. It's called Ashley's, if I remember rightly. There's also a motel about a mile or so south on NJ 94 at Vernon.
    3.) I second what others were saying about this section having some tough spots. When you get out of Harriman, you start out going up Agony Grind, which is a toughie, particularly at the top (we went down it, which was bad enough), then you have to scramble over a bunch of rock slabs and slick faces to get the rest of the way up Arden Mountain. There is a similiar climb up Buchanan Mountain. Mombasha High Point isn't so bad, as it is switchbacked, but once you pass Fitzgerald Falls you have another killer climb to get up to the ridge of Bellvale/Bearfort Mountain (it changes names at the border) Once up there, you'll have some rock climbing at Cat Rocks and Eastern Pinnacles, and there's a pretty vicious little stream valley to go down into and come back up again just north of the border (this is where you go down the ladder you may have seen in the pictures on this site. We went down it as well , which is probably much easier then going up.) Once you get to Jersey, it's easier, except for the climb up to Wawayanda Mountain (however, you'll be doing it the easier way). There are also a lot of steep, rocky descents, the worst of which for you will be the "Stairway to Heaven" coming down Wawayanda, but getting off Bearfort has some big jumps too, and you'll be going under that tree mentioned earlier coming down Buchanan. Expect to use your hands and slide on your butt a lot. The easy spots are around Little Dam Lake, between Mombasha High Point and Fitzgerald Falls, the parts of Bellvale/Bearfort not already mentioned, and from the bottom of Bearfort to Wawayanda Shelter.
    4.) Good views: I also recommend Pinwheel Vista, which is the second best view we've had on the AT so far (behind Rice Field near Pearisburg); it was a crappy day when we were there and it was still fabulous. Others are the top of Agony Grind; Arden Mountain (which is probably better now that the leaves are gone); Buchanan Mountain (not a wide field of view, but you're a lot closer to what you can see than you usually are on the Trail); Mombasha High Point (on a clear day you can see Manhattan); Eastern Pinnacles; the platform at Mt. Peter (well worth the side trip); and several places on Bellvale Mountain above Greenwood Lake.
    5.) Be very careful at the road crossings. Most of them in this stretch seem to be in the middle of curves or at the top of hills and have poor sight lines. The crossing of NY 17, a busy four-lane road, on the edge of Harriman was the worst; we came uncomfortably close to getting hit there. NY 17A isn't very good either, but we were lucky and hit it at a slow time. The other places have less traffic, but should still be treated with caution. NY and NJ need to make like PA and start fixing some of these places.
    6.) We used Monroe Taxi, Greenwood Lake Taxi, and Vernon Taxi for our shuttles (due to the lack of camping spots, we did this as three one-days and a weekend.) All were on time (early, in fact), courteous, and reasonably priced. Greenwood Lake is here: http://www.greenwoodlaketaxi.com/; the other two are on the AT shuttle list.
    7.) Water was pretty plentiful in this part except for Bearfort/Bellvale Mountain, which was pretty dry. If you are planning to stay at Wildcat Shelter, I'd suggest tanking up at Fitzgerald Falls in case the shelter spring is poor.

Hope you have a great time!
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

....Bonus question... other than Unionville are there any other food/shower opportunities within a mile of the trail between Bear Mt. and DWG?...
    You can probably get a shower at the AMC's Mohican Center but at that point, you're only 10-11 miles from the end of your hike. Per the Companion, their food supplies are limited but if they're serving meals to guests, perhaps you can buy one or work for stay.

Images

You can probably get a shower at the AMC's Mohican Center but at that point, you're only 10-11 miles from the end of your hike. Per the Companion, their food supplies are limited but if they're serving meals to guests, perhaps you can buy one or work for stay.
    I did this during one of my hikes this summer not sure if it would work out for you or not. I stopped where the trail crossed the road and hung a food bag back in the woods. It saved me the hassle of going into town with the dog and also allowed me to have his food there as well. I got a big army surplus dry bad to hang all my food in. Another idea is mail your self some to like Culvers Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I did this during one of my hikes this summer not sure if it would work out for you or not. I stopped where the trail crossed the road and hung a food bag back in the woods. It saved me the hassle of going into town with the dog and also allowed me to have his food there as well. I got a big army surplus dry bad to hang all my food in. Another idea is mail your self some to like Culvers Gap.
    I cache food too. Never had a problem.

Here's a rhetorical question.... If a person were to somehow find themselves between shelters in the no-camping areas right before dark, is it fairlly easy to find a place to pitch a tent?

Looking at the map, knowing my hiking speed and how early it gets dark there is one day where I could possibly be between shelters when the daylight runs out.

Images

Here's a rhetorical question.... If a person were to somehow find themselves between shelters in the no-camping areas right before dark, is it fairlly easy to find a place to pitch a tent?

Looking at the map, knowing my hiking speed and how early it gets dark there is one day where I could possibly be between shelters when the daylight runs out.
    I would say yes for the most part. When I winter hike I almost always plan to be hiking in the dark for awhile on each end of the day. I would rather do this than sitting in camp in the dark and cold way to early to go to sleep.

Images

Lotsa camping. If you are talking Blue Mtn Lakes section in NJ, there is great camping just south of the road/fountain.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

10-k, Spent some time in Bear Mountain this weekend, speaking of ball bearings, there were more acorns then I have ever seen, it was slick with lots of leaves, but the hiking was Great

Quote Originally Posted by eric j View Post
    10-k, Spent some time in Bear Mountain this weekend, speaking of ball bearings, there were more acorns then I have ever seen, it was slick with lots of leaves, but the hiking was Great
    I plan on starting at the west end of Bear Mt. Bridge so maybe I can roll up the mountian.

Images

My brother is coming up on the 23 or 24th, he lives in wilmington, just a thought if you need a ride? I live about 5 miles from the BMB

Quote Originally Posted by eric j View Post
    My brother is coming up on the 23 or 24th, he lives in wilmington, just a thought if you need a ride? I live about 5 miles from the BMB
    Thanks Eric, I've already got the shuttle lined up and hotel reservatation for the night before. I'm parking at DWG and shuttling up to BMB and hiking back SOBO....

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs down

In the section I discussed, it would not be easy, unless you like lying out on big flat rocks, and even those aren't always available. The tops of the ridges and mountains might be awfully exposed this time of year, too.
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    In the section I discussed, it would not be easy, unless you like lying out on big flat rocks, and even those aren't always available. The tops of the ridges and mountains might be awfully exposed this time of year, too.

Not good news.. should be an interesting hike...

I did this stretch in May last year so I can't comment on the availability of water now. I actually did my final 75 miles of PA first and then got dropped off at Bear Mtn. Here's what I remember.

1. Bear Mtn Bridge to William Brien shelter (9 miles). Nice hike with one really tough climb over some large rocks.

2. O'Brien to Wildcat Shelter (19.6m). Easy hike to begin, really rocky around the Fitzgerald Falls area into the NY-NJ state line.

3. Wildcat to Vernon, NJ (17.3m). Easy hike, had to hump it into town and stayed in the church by myself. Great shower and they were cleaning the church kitchen so I got to eat some food they were going to throw out! Also got to do laundry.

4. Vernon to Mashipacong Shelter (26.1m). Very easy hike all the way to high point. Bought 2 large deli sandwiches at Horlers and ate with some thru hikers at the Gazebo. Great thing about going SOBO is you can gets lot of intel. Got to the secret shelter too early to stop but did find out my pack weighed 42 pounds. Ouch.

5. Mashipacong to MOC (26.7m). Rocky. I hate rocks in all forms. If I have to modify my stride because of the rocks then it's too rocky. A lot of the rocks in this section are of the variety where they stick 6 inches out of the ground and point straight up. It poured rain the last 5 miles and I slammed into several of those rocks when I picked up the pace. Otherwise it may not have been that bad.

6. MOC to DWG (9m). My feet were already busted up from the night before and my gear was still soaked. The trail was soaked and all I remember was putting my head down and sucking it up until the end.

There are lots of very easy stretches and you can put in some big mileage days.

BTW - That whole area around the Brien shelter is also blazed for other trails. Some moron blazed the trail with the same six inch white blaze but they added a red circle in the middle of it. Very easy to start heading the wrong way. From say the Palisades Pkwy to Fingerboard shelter I would be on high alert for following the AT blazes.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

So much great info... thanks everyone.

My only real concern is finding a place to pitch the tent in the evening but in hiking 1300ish miles of the AT I've yet not to be able to find a place before it got dark so it'll work out I'm sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++