WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Talleywacker, the fees are for the regular campsites not the trail in LBL.

-

this is a trail to have USG survey maps, maybe GPS, and the book - few blazes, lots of various horse trails, some are RTR some not - plan on some confusion

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    this is a trail to have USG survey maps, maybe GPS, and the book - few blazes, lots of various horse trails, some are RTR some not - plan on some confusion
    I'm getting a website up and useful on the River to River trail. There aren't a lot of sites up with much info. and the River to River Society no longer has a website up. Still under construction. The trail maintenance is sporadic as the rail passes through State, Federal & private lands, and volunteer for trail clearing seem to be in short supply. I'm not aware of any active groups aside from the River to River Society and it sounds like it wont be meeting until Fall and only for day hikes.
    This Spring has been unusually we, and the Ticks & Chiggers are having a bumper crop. I've decided to try and clear the Mikanda to Rote 51 Area, and hoping to get back down there his week, before I leave on Vacation. My site is rivertorivertrailhike.com and I also have the River to river trail facebook page as a signpost to the website. I don't know how qualified I am but I do what I can, someone has to. My main problem is I'm 1 1/2 hours North .

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGraham View Post
    I'm getting a website up and useful on the River to River trail. There aren't a lot of sites up with much info. and the River to River Society no longer has a website up. Still under construction. The trail maintenance is sporadic as the rail passes through State, Federal & private lands, and volunteer for trail clearing seem to be in short supply. I'm not aware of any active groups aside from the River to River Society and it sounds like it wont be meeting until Fall and only for day hikes.
    This Spring has been unusually we, and the Ticks & Chiggers are having a bumper crop. I've decided to try and clear the Mikanda to Rote 51 Area, and hoping to get back down there his week, before I leave on Vacation. My site is rivertorivertrailhike.com and I also have the River to river trail facebook page as a signpost to the website. I don't know how qualified I am but I do what I can, someone has to. My main problem is I'm 1 1/2 hours North .
    Thanks!
    You may have some luck contacting the University and tracking down their outdoor program. They have a very robust rental program and active base of folks there. Granted Climbing is a big draw, there is still some interest.

John O'Dell is a friendly fellow from what I understand.

While I'm not a big fan, the truth of the matter is that the most active group is the Horse riders. There are several commercial outfits that use the trail as a mainstay of their business. They have historically been the larger group to help with maintaining the trail. As a plus- they are more active in the Eastern half, where-as the college groups tend to go 51 west (makanda to murphysboro).

It really is a shame; between the massive ice storms, inland hurricane, and little or no resources it sounds like the forest service had little or no choice in even attempting to recover the trail. Not a very economically viable community overall down there either, so hard to get folks to care or help when they are themselves struggling so hard day to day.

One other possible resource for you is the American Discovery Trail- on their site you will see names listed for the southern loop which overlaps the river to river. At the very worst they may be able to hook you up with a maintenance crew or some training/ideas to better use your limited time.

The very best of luck to you!

I think that the Ice Age Trail and the River to River need some attention and as our big trails grow and/or reach the point of being able to stand on their own perhaps more regional trails will see some help.

I'm not sure if I am in a position to help directly at this time, but I will keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGraham View Post
    Glad that you are getting out there and doing some work. There is not much information on the trail that is for sure and most is outdated. I think the voight book is from 2007. I have some info up on my youtube page from the hikes that I did as well as prep videos for my aborted thru hike. I have also shared the GPS tracks that I have as well as fielding questions were I can. There seems to be an interest in the trail but just not much support or information for those looking. A new website may help out with that. Being that I am in Missouri I have set my sights more on the Ozark Trail. They have a much better infrastructure and volunteer pool to help keep the trail in great shape. I still want to get the R2R completed at some point but it has fallen to the bottom of the list.

You also might want to get ahold of Taowillow on here- her trip report was one of the more complete in regards to the current state of the trail.

From my understanding- some of the blow downs and damage are so vast that they simply re-routed the trail to road walks and other bypasses.

One reason the trails have not been cleared (besides money and the lack of manpower) is the danger of attempting to clear storm damage. As a former tree trimmer please do not underestimate the danger of clearing this type of storm damage especially. It is very hazardous work.

While the trail itself is shot; it is roughy 160+ miles and Shawnee a vast place still worth a visit. Until the trail itself is restored, perhaps a great place to consider a "route" rather than a trail. There are some cliffs and a few other dead ends there, but for the most part a river to river route would be an excellent way to practice an extended backwoods trip. Even when the trail was cleared there are a few vague sections in the central and eastern parts that are not very well marked, especially in fall as the leaves obliterate the trail.

With everyone lamenting the "taming of the trails" and other crowd related issues perhaps one might take the opportunity to travel a semi rustic route. The basic benchmarks of the trail still exist if you need to resupply mid-way, and the terrain is not horribly taxing or dangerous should you mis-place yourself for a time.

I have friends who were there during the worst storms, one of them a fairly well known (within that community) arborist who described things happening to trees that he could not believe. Wind twisting the crowns until trunks were literally exploding from the stress. Another friend of mine lives in Makanda and it was nearly a full year before they cleaned up the town, let alone had the opportunity to clean the trails. Outside of the university town of Carbondale it is a very poor region. IIRC, Pope County is one of the poorest in the country, even claiming that dubious honor over some parts of the Rez.

So while I don't want to make light of the potential danger of all these storms, there is an opportunity to bushwhack large sections of it and get the experience of the trail. It is a fairly unique area where east, west, north and southern forests all exist and overlap with some cliffs and rock gardens as well.

Late Fall and even winter are excellent times as the navigation is easier, crawlies are low, and the weather still good. It is a very wet area generally speaking and the biggest danger would be soaking your feet in the many small creeks that would be covered in leaves.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 06-28-2015 at 15:19.

I'd say 80-90% of the trail itself is fine. Some places on private lands just don't have any maintenance to start with. Permission to travel over it is about as far as it goes. (power & pipeline right of ways and private land) The 2 areas between Mikanda and Route 51 Were badly damaged by the storms no doubt, but there are no longer any trees still fallen across the trail that aren't flat on the ground. I did see 3 bigger trees (10" to 12" diameter, it is a second growth forest) The trees are no longer a problem, it's the undergrowth and saplings growing on the trail. I've talked to Tauwillow. She' a tough cookie.

Forgot to mention the 3 trees had R2R blazes and I moved them to standing trees and added another 28 or so along the trail. They won't get too lost there if the weedy field can get a small path cut through it. Working on a plan there.

Too bad I can't gather all my thoughts into one post. The American Discovery trail IS also the trail between Mikanda & Rt 51. Actually the only markers fot it I have seen are on a Tree at the edge of the Woods East of Rt 51, and on a power pole on the second section just across Mikanda Road on Eastern Star road. I should have this small section cleared but I won't be able to get back there until Mid-Late July looks like.

I should have taken notice of my ears burning! Thanks for the kind words you guys. I'm really glad that Scott has his site up - its got some terrific photos and trail descriptions. Its everything I wanted to see while prepping for our trip.

For all the talk of the trail conditions, I want to emphasize to interested folks reading that it's not *really* that bad. The trail is a challenge, but it's good work, and really lovely down there. We hiked it in June of 2014 with the help of maps, the Voigts guidebook and some GPS files. Those and a willing perspective were all that were really needed. Shoot, it was our first backpacking trip, we're on the older side and not in the best shape. If we can do it, near anyone could.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tauwillow View Post
    I'm really glad that Scott has his site up - its got some terrific photos and trail descriptions.
    did i miss the link?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

http://rivertorivertrailhike.com/dir/ I really need to spend some time on the website but I've been away from home on a trip since the 4th, just got back tonight and I'm leaving again for a week he Saturday after next. The first few pages are awful, the rest are somewhat better.

I went to SIU and did a thru of this trail in the middle of May. There is a great map for the eastern half of the trail that Shawnee (?) put out. It's got all the horse trails marked. I haven't heard anything about the western half.

I have both the 8.5x11 and the mini turn-by-turn guide. The larger one is pretty bad. Maps have no scale, compass, or signage for the other trails. Pretty much everything you would expect in a map is not present. The mini guide is a bit more useful if using a gps.

The trail can be especially confusing when crossing creeks and at intersections. It's not marked very well compared to the AT. If you are willing to take your time on this trail there are great opportunities to see some great rock formations by taking side trails. I hope this trail draws in some more hikers. Perhaps I'll be one who helps whip it back into shape.

Default R2R trail

Well, you are an hour closer than me, but I'll race ya. I'm planning on going back possibly next week if the temp goes down or 3 weeks if not and finish clearing the Makanda to RT51 areas. It needs a LOT of weed cutting and re blazing on the private land areas (like power line right of ways.)

R2R is cleared from 51 to Shepard Rd. Still have the short section between Eastern Star & Makanda. I plan on hitting that and remowing the 51 overpass in a couple of weeks. I might try contacting the highway department and see if they will squirt the place the trail crosses next time they are out killing weeds. I live too far to make the trip to mow it practical.

Default Rt 51 to Makanda is now cleared.

I cleared Eastern Star to Makanda yesterday, and the Highway department just moved the embankment (Very low I might add, well done!) So the RT51 to Mikanda leg is clear and actually a nice 2 mile hike. Safer & faster than the road most likely from Eastern Star it's a straight shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++