WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wanted: Recommendation for an Arizona Trail hike in February

A couple of friends and I are trying to find a 4-5 day hike in February. We are moderately experienced – have gotten out on the AT together for a some multi-day hikes in the past few years.

We would like to do something in the Southwest, but nothing that will be too cold in February. I’d say we’re up for anything as long as we are sleeping at 40* or above.

Presently, we are looking at perhaps finding a nice stretch of the Arizona Trail… we go about 15-20 per day on the AT, so I guess we are looking for about a 50-75 mile stretch. With neat things to see, preferably with some challenge and hills, but again, cool is okay, but not too cold. (If we wanted a winter hike we’d stay in the northeast!)

Any advice? It doesn’t have to be the Arizona Trail – anything in the southwest would do.

Thanks!

PS - We are assuming the Grand Canyon would be too cold in February - is that correct?

You might enjoy the western section of the Grand Enchantment Trail, through the Superstitions to either Superior or Mammoth. Information on the GET can be found at http://www.simblissity.net/get/
    Because much of that section coincides with the AZT, it isn't too difficult to follow. Our journal for that section is at http://spiriteaglehome.com/Journal2.html

It's all desert and not too high, but some beautiful hiking.

Contact this guy, Dave Hicks of the Arizonz Trail Association. The website is www.aztrail.org.

Images

great post i was wondering the same thing!!!! if u want company let me know!!!

Default Arizona in February

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    A couple of friends and I are trying to find a 4-5 day hike in February. We are moderately experienced – have gotten out on the AT together for a some multi-day hikes in the past few years.

We would like to do something in the Southwest, but nothing that will be too cold in February. I’d say we’re up for anything as long as we are sleeping at 40* or above.

Presently, we are looking at perhaps finding a nice stretch of the Arizona Trail… we go about 15-20 per day on the AT, so I guess we are looking for about a 50-75 mile stretch. With neat things to see, preferably with some challenge and hills, but again, cool is okay, but not too cold. (If we wanted a winter hike we’d stay in the northeast!)

Any advice? It doesn’t have to be the Arizona Trail – anything in the southwest would do.

Thanks!

PS - We are assuming the Grand Canyon would be too cold in February - is that correct?
    You can hike the section of the Arizona Trail from the Mexican border to Tucson. I hiked the section around Kentucky Camp last year. I found it rather uninspiring. It was warm.

As you get north of Tucson the increase in elevation means lower night time temperatures. Even south of Tucson the temperature drops to freezing a few nights in February.

If you have not been there, consider Aravaipa Canyon. It is east of Tucson and is a lot more interesting than the southern portion of the Arizona Trial. You won't make big miles there, but there are lots of side canyons to explore. The temperatures in Aravapia Canyon are similar to those in Tucson.
    Shutterbug

I've been thinking about the temps that time of year since I read your post yesterday. Just for example, it has been 44 the past 3 nights here in Phoenix, even though we are in the mid to high 70's during the day. In February, I think it can easily drop into the low 30's. It was Easter weekend a few years ago when they had the big snowfall in the Supersitions (of course that's at 5,000+ feet I think).

That being said, it always warms up very quickly during the day, so if your sleeping bags can handle it, the nightime temps are no big thing. By the time it gets cold, you'll be sleeping, and it will warm up quickly when you wake.

Images

Consider Organ Pipe National Monument, near Ajo, AZ. Very wild, remote, beautiful. It adjoins the border and several reservations.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Default Grand Canyon in February

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    ...PS - We are assuming the Grand Canyon would be too cold in February - is that correct?
    I wouldn't rule out the Grand Canyon. I was there on Feb. 1 of this year. The trail was icy for the first couple of miles, but clear below that. Take some yaktraks or crampons for the first couple of miles and you will be fine.

Temperatures along the Colorado River occasionally drop to freezing at night , but it warms up quickly during the day.

If I were planning a Grand Canyon hike for February, I would take the South Kaibab Trial down to Bright Angel Campground for the first day. The second day, I would hike the Clear Creek trail to the Clear Creek camp. I would spend the third day exploring. The fourth day, I would hike back to the Bright Angel Campground. On day 5, I would hike out via the Brigh Angel Trail.

Be aware that the commerical mule trains are using the Bright Angel Trail this season. That causes any snow to be packed into ice quickly on the Bright Angel Trial. Only the NPS mule trains are on the South Kaibab Trail.

Shutterbug

Just a thank you... for all the advice. We've decided to risk the cold a bit and hike the Grand Canyon, assuming we can get permits.

I'm jealous of you that live so close to all this great hiking in the Southwest!

++ New Posts ++