WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-08-2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Age
    51
    Posts
    111
    Images
    11

    Default NBC Today Show report

    I quick report of overcrowding on the AT, seems the Streisand effect would occur from the article.

    https://youtu.be/SuXQqi7AdfA

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-01-2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    I quick report of overcrowding on the AT, seems the Streisand effect would occur from the article.

    https://youtu.be/SuXQqi7AdfA

    Indeed ... if the AT were a product on the shelf, people would be panic buying it, FOMO style.

    I wonder if similar upticks are found on non-triple-crown trail systems. I suspect a bit, but not as much as the more well-known trails.

  3. #3
    Is it raining yet?
    Join Date
    07-15-2004
    Location
    Kensington, MD
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,043
    Images
    62

    Default

    Most national parks are overrun.
    Be Prepared

  4. #4
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Most national parks are overrun.
    Yeah kinda takes the fun out of it!!!!!

  5. #5
    Registered User The Cleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-26-2010
    Location
    greeneville TN
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,555
    Images
    94

    Default

    I wonder if the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is crowded. Many AT hikers would not have the skills needed there and no hostels every 2-3 days.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-28-2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    61
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I wonder if similar upticks are found on non-triple-crown trail systems. I suspect a bit, but not as much as the more well-known trails.
    I came across this on another site where 5 lb guns were being discussed re; grizzlies. I question its reliability but it's a data point.

    "GnatGiant - 5dThere were over 1000 CDT hikers this year (there was one day where chama had 250 in town). It's only a matter of time before one has a really bad encounter. Already happened to a bikepacker. The year I hiked, a thru hiker got trampled by a grizzly just south of Dubouse."

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-01-2011
    Location
    Hendricks Cty, Indiana
    Age
    66
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Watched the video and thought that maybe most popular trailheads are crowded every year?? I have hiked in GA with the guy they are interviewing [Don], nice guy. Interesting to see Warren Doyle's comment on this down below the video.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    I came across this on another site where 5 lb guns were being discussed re; grizzlies. I question its reliability but it's a data point.

    "GnatGiant - 5dThere were over 1000 CDT hikers this year (there was one day where chama had 250 in town). It's only a matter of time before one has a really bad encounter. Already happened to a bikepacker. The year I hiked, a thru hiker got trampled by a grizzly just south of Dubouse."
    I'd question the reliability of that post too.

  9. #9

    Default

    I wouldn't be opposed to local trail maintenance orgs (or whoever is appropriate) imposing a parking fee or day use fee at trailheads and using that money to maintain the trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

    A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

  10. #10
    Is it raining yet?
    Join Date
    07-15-2004
    Location
    Kensington, MD
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,043
    Images
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    I wonder if the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is crowded. Many AT hikers would not have the skills needed there and no hostels every 2-3 days.
    Probably. I went backpacking in Lake Clark NP in Alaska last month. Backcountry ranger told us visitation was way up.
    Be Prepared

  11. #11

    Default

    Too many people. The population now is 2.2 times as large as when I was born.

  12. #12

    Default

    Very big increase in virtually all outdoor recreational pursuits since the Covid shutdown in the first half of 2020. It's a good thing more people are experiencing the out of doors, good for them and hopefully in the long run more people will provide support of these great places. As others have said, most people just go to the same places. Lots of trails and parks are very underutilized. Example is the Benton McKaye trail that is almost a solitary backpacking trip except for a few trailhead areas.

  13. #13

    Default

    Several day hikers, but not a single other backpacker when I thru hiked the Batram Trail in June.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •