WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    EXCERPTS FROM RECENT LETTER ~~ MUSEUM'S PRESIDENT

Larry Luxenberg recently wrote :

" I wanted to let everyone know about some plans for the fall and to congratulate everyone on a successful opening season. We passed the 6,000 visitor mark on Labor Day Weekend and by the time we close for the winter could exceed 7,000 visitors. More importantly, many visitors have offered praise for the Museum and found it moving.

Dozens of people have pitched in but I would be remiss in not singling out a few people. Most of those visitors came to the Museum because of Joe's [ Joseph Patterson, Communications Director ] success in spreading the word. The Museum has been open every hour it was supposed to be plus some additional time and it has run smoothly through Margy's [ Margy Schmidt, Volunteer Coordinator ] efforts. She has recruited and organized a dedicated group of volunteers. From my own experience I can tell you that it's very rewarding to be a docent but not as easy as I would have guessed. I'd also like to thank Jason for his exceptional cooperation and help. In addition, Terry [ Terry Harley-Wilson, A. T. Museum, Vice-president ] has again done a tremendous job in preparing a grant application for a traveling exhibit and as a result we were awarded a major grant from the Quimby Foundation [ makers of the Burt's Bees products like lip balm ]. "
    ( to continue....)

" On a sad note, one of the earliest and biggest supporters, Walk'in Jim, died a little over a week ago. We had posted a notice during his illness with information about contributing to his medical fund. His music and spirit are still very much a part of the Museum.

We will be meeting at the Gathering [ info see www.aldha.org ] in a month and I'd like to use that session for some brainstorming. As usual we will be sponsoring a symposium at the Gathering and holding a silent auction. We will also have a meeting on Oct. 23 at Pine Grove for people who have been involved with the Museum to discuss plans for next year. Later that day we will have an end of season party for volunteers.

Gwen is working on more hands on activities for the children's area. This year we didn't have enough to engage kids. We will be hosting a visiting by the teachers from a Trail in Every Classroom and hope to work with them on the children's area.

We need to do more to involve current hikers in the Museum.

In addition, we need to freshen up the existing space. We've talked about getting a big screen to display the hiker Polaroid photos and perhaps the videos and slideshows we have on the other computer. Jeff Schmidt is working on programming for the Polaroid website now. Trail Angel Mary [ Mary Parry ] has put together some great videos of the museum opening and the Earl Shaffer project and has produced a long loop incorporating other shows. That loop is running continuously now.

We're also hoping to have a more regular series of programs next year, perhaps Sunday afternoons from Memorial Day to Labor Day with a significant number aimed at children. Several people have volunteered to help with the programming but we need a point person . We attracted more than 100 people for the Barefoot Sister's talk - that was a record crowd for them. Christy, our summer intern, did a program on trail design and construction and we had other programs by Dave Donaldson and Randy Motz and Georgia Harris.

This fall Bill Speed will be installing a furnace and Larry Knutson will take charge of winterizing the building.

Linda Patton and several other collectors are working on plans for a research library. We got a significant donation of books this summer and will have a nearly complete collection of A. T. books and guidebooks eventually.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped to make our initial season successful. "

Hope to see you at the Museum Symposium at the Gathering in October !

HAPPY TRAILS !

RED WOLF o'da SMOKY'S
    Robert Croyle
    A.T. Museum, Membership Secretary
    [email protected]

ps: more info ~ www.atmuseum.org

Smile Center Point Knob plaque donation

THANKYOU, MOUNTAIN CLUB of MARYLAND !

From a recent Thankyou note : ( see attachment )

Thumbs up Rich Evans, A. T. Museum Treasurer ~ article

Here's from an article in local PA paper re. Rich Evans , the A.T. Museum treasurer .
    see attachment :

Thumbs up Recent media coverage of A. T. Museum

The Appalachian Trail Museum has recently received coverage in Museum , published by the American Association of Museums , and on the Family Travel Blog . Please see attached news clips . FYI .

~ Robert Croyle "RW"

:banana Fall Festival News & Schedule ~ Pine Grove Furnace State Park

F
    FALL FURNACE FEST at Pine GROVE FURNACE STATE PARK ~~~ OCTOBER 16 & 17 ( SAT. & SUN. )

NEWS RELEASE JUST POSTED IN LOCAL PAPERS ! ~0 0~ see attachment
    FALL FESTIVAL ~ PINE GROVE FURNACE STATE PARK

UPDATED ATTACHMENTS 4 UR INFO ~see below ~~0 0~~

Robert Croyle "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's"
    A. T. Museum, Memebrship Secretary ~ www.atmuseum.org
    ALDHA board member ~ Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association www.aldha.org

Thumbs up New acquisition by A. T. Museum

MUSEUM GETS CENTER POINT KNOB PLAQUE !

Just acquired by the Appalachian Trail Museum, the Center Point Knob plaque will once again (this spring) be on view to the public .

~ see attachment below for news article

Robert Croyle " RED WOLF O'DA SMOKY's"
    A.T. Museum, Membership Secretary

Images

Red Wolf,

Is this the plaque that was once bolted to a rock just south of Boiling Springs? If so, I recall seeing a photo of Earl Schafer on his 1948 hike at that very spot and the plaque was missing even then.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

im going to describe someone . they fit no catagory. i must use matthewski isms to do it. this person cant be reproduced. oh i know no one can but i mean anything even remotely close is impossible. this person was carved out long ago from a single block of tenashia. what tenaciousness comes from. but im talking the ore. cant get it any more. been replaced by sticktoitness witch has failure added for uniformity. anyway, this person lives in the lemonlight. its the opposite of limelight . anyway. this person never wants anything in return. never wines.i wish to be like red wolf. id give up all the parts hes missing or living with damaged and walk with his canes and do all the crap he does for us if i had some tenashia. oxooxoxmatty.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Red Wolf,

Is this the plaque that was once bolted to a rock just south of Boiling Springs? If so, I recall seeing a photo of Earl Schafer on his 1948 hike at that very spot and the plaque was missing even then.
    Must be, the article says "lost in the 1940's" so it's very possible it was missing when Earl's photo was taken . ~Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    im going to describe someone . they fit no catagory. i must use matthewski isms to do it. this person cant be reproduced. oh i know no one can but i mean anything even remotely close is impossible. this person was carved out long ago from a single block of tenashia. what tenaciousness comes from. but im talking the ore. cant get it any more. been replaced by sticktoitness witch has failure added for uniformity. anyway, this person lives in the lemonlight. its the opposite of limelight . anyway. this person never wants anything in return. never wines.i wish to be like red wolf. id give up all the parts hes missing or living with damaged and walk with his canes and do all the crap he does for us if i had some tenashia. oxooxoxmatty.
    Matty, many thanks for the encouragement ~ I really do not deserve any admiration, just trying to get along in a positive manner and enjoying this marvelous thing we call life and so many wonderful friends like you. Your words are read just hours after I lost re-election to the ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) board of directors ( had I won, it would have been my 4th. term on that board) ! Your kind words have given me much cheer at a low time when I am being very reflective of my work for the hiker community .
    Many thanks for helping to lift me back onto the "happy trails" ,
    Robert Croyle aka " Red Wolf o'da Smoky's"

Default Silent Auction

SILENT AUCTION AT ALDHA GATHERING A SUCCESS !
    The A. T. Museum's silent auction was a fine success because of the many generous donations and the buying power of a number of Museum supporters (who by the way, got some REAL BARGAINS ) . The final tally was $362.01 ! ~ THANKYOU MUSEUM FRIENDS

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert Croyle " Red Wolf o'da Smoky's "
    A. T. Museum, membership secretary

ps: PLAQUE DEADLINE SOON
    The permanent DONOR FUND plaque (which will hang in the Appalachian Trail Museum ) still is open to new additions and even upgrades of donor levels !
    ~ DECEMBER 31, 2010 (postmarked before midnight) = DEADLINE

see attachment below for Donor Fund form :

Smile Volunteer "end-of-year" party ~~ Ironmaster's Mansion Hostel news

VOLUNTEER DOCENT'S PARTY ~ IRONMASTER'S MANSION HOSTEL NEWS

Thought to pass along the following from Bill O'Brien :

Just came back from Ironmasters, where we had an end-of-the-year reception and meeting for the A.T. Museum. Quite a few folks turned out, mostly volunteer docents who kept the museum going during its first year.

But I'm passing this along to report that the hostel looks fantastic with a new paint job and some really nice work on the formal front of the building, which faces the outdoor chess board on the side toward the general store. It looks much, much better out there now. (The chess board is gone, but not sure if that's returning.)

The first bunk room that was off of the area where we traditionally hold our spring meeting has been stripped of bunks and turned into a meeting space. It was a bit more logical a space for meetings and could easily hold about 30 people.

The main room where we usually hold our meetings was set up for sit-down dining in a layout that was again much better than what we've been used to in the past.

They haven't tackled the kitchen yet in terms of renovations, but the museum folks made do with just tapping into electricity to power up several crock pots, etc., to warm up the food we brought for a pot luck dinner. I don't know what work if anything they've done on the upstairs yet, but it looks like they are proceeding nicely in getting the place fixed up. (No one was around to ask about overall progress.)

Robert "Red Wolf"

:banana Museum's Volunteer of the Year Award ~ Season's last day (Oct.31)

MUSEUM'S VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR ~ MUSEUM TO CLOSE FOR SEASON OCT. 31(4pm) & REOPEN 2ND. SEASON NOON APRIL 2, 2011

~ (see attachment for details, please)

Many thanks to all our supporters for your generous volunteer donations and work ~ this Appalachian Trail Museum is in truth a museum "made-by-many-hands" , our Appalachian Trail Museum . Let us always hope that as long as there is an Appalachian Trail , there will be the Appalachian Trail Museum .

Again, thankyou ,

Sincerly,

Robert Croyle aka Red Wolf o'da Smoky's
    Appalachian Trail Museum, Membership Secretary

MUSEUM'S VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR ~ MUSEUM TO CLOSE FOR SEASON OCT. 31(4pm) & REOPEN 2ND. SEASON NOON APRIL 2, 2011

~ (see attachment for details, please)

Many thanks to all our supporters for your generous volunteer donations and work ~ this Appalachian Trail Museum is in truth a museum "made-by-many-hands" , our Appalachian Trail Museum . Let us always hope that as long as there is an Appalachian Trail , there will be the Appalachian Trail Museum .

Again, thankyou ,

Sincerly,

Robert Croyle aka Red Wolf o'da Smoky's
    EXTRA : TRAILANGERLMARY MAKES THE HARRISBURG NEWSPAPER !
    Trailangelmary is mentioined int the Patriot-News for her being named Museum's Volunteer of the Year ! ( see attachment below please ) ~ RED WOLF O'DA SMOKY'S

Smile News from Museum President's recent letter (excerpts)

MUSEUM NEWS ~ EXCERPTS FROM PRESIDENT'S RECENT LETTER

"On Saturday we topped the 8,000 mark for our first season . We have several special groups coming in this weekend and will reach about 8,200 . By early next week Larry Knutson and Bill Speed will begin winterizing the building . We have a lot of exciting plans for next year and a lot of work ahead of us .

For next year, 12,000 people seems like a reasonable goal . We'll be open in the spring and that will add at least 23 visitor days . The A. T. will come close to our doorstep . We'll also have our first festival in June , expanded offerings at holidays such as the park's fall festival and National Trails Day , some new exhibits , and a regular schedule of programs . If we can attract additional docents , we may also expand hours . "

some of the additional plans for next year :
    ~ Renovation plans drawn by 3 architects from LSC Designs provide access to all foors (with minimum of changes to structure) with a mezzanine at the top floor over the floor below it ( this lower of the top two will provide the new entrance and have a ramp going down to the floor below it which we are currently using ) . Each floor will be devoted to specific types of exhibits.
    ( more on this later as there are developements ) .
    ~ New exhibits : a wide variety (details later )
    ~ An Annual Festival is planned for the third weekend in June and we anticipate a full schedule of events, hikes, and other outdoor activities such as biking and swimming, programs, booths for clubs, and children activities .
    ~ An expanded schedule of programming with a regular Sunday afternoon program from Memorial Day to Labor Day as well as additional programs .
    ~ Improvement of our collections and storage
    ~ Improvement of our website
    ~ Completion of a traveling hiker exhibit by Terry Harley-Wilson, Museum Vice-president and curator
    ~ More visits by teachers participating in the current training for a Trail to Every Classroom
    ~ Preservation of the Darlington Shelter (one buildt by Earl Shaffer ! ) : " Darlington Shelter ...It was buildt by Earl Shaffer and is now abandoned , a mile off the A. T. ...Karen Balaban has been urging us to preserve the shelter and rebuild it outside the Museum . We're in the early stages of getting permission to remove the shelter and preserve it . ....it is made of stones . There is a dirt road that comes close to the shelter but it will still involve a lot of work. " NOTICE ~ ~ VOLUNTEERS WILL BE NEEDED / contact Larry Luxenberg, A.T. Museum President

DONOR FUND PLAQUE * DEADLINE SOON !
    December 31, 2010 postmark is the deadline for mailing in your donation form in order to be listed on this permanent plaque which will hang in the Appalachian Trail Museum , besides helping to fund the Museum's growth. ( for a printable pdf of this form see earlier postings in this whiteblaze forum )

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle
    A. T. Museum, Memebrship Secretary

MUSEUM NEWS ~ EXCERPTS FROM PRESIDENT'S RECENT LETTER

"On Saturday we topped the 8,000 mark for our first season . We have several special groups coming in this weekend and will reach about 8,200 . By early next week Larry Knutson and Bill Speed will begin winterizing the building . We have a lot of exciting plans for next year and a lot of work ahead of us .

For next year, 12,000 people seems like a reasonable goal . We'll be open in the spring and that will add at least 23 visitor days . The A. T. will come close to our doorstep . We'll also have our first festival in June , expanded offerings at holidays such as the park's fall festival and National Trails Day , some new exhibits , and a regular schedule of programs . If we can attract additional docents , we may also expand hours . "

some of the additional plans for next year :
    ~ Renovation plans drawn by 3 architects from LSC Designs provide access to all foors (with minimum of changes to structure) with a mezzanine at the top floor over the floor below it ( this lower of the top two will provide the new entrance and have a ramp going down to the floor below it which we are currently using ) . Each floor will be devoted to specific types of exhibits.
    ( more on this later as there are developements ) .
    ~ New exhibits : a wide variety (details later )
    ~ An Annual Festival is planned for the third weekend in June and we anticipate a full schedule of events, hikes, and other outdoor activities such as biking and swimming, programs, booths for clubs, and children activities .
    ~ An expanded schedule of programming with a regular Sunday afternoon program from Memorial Day to Labor Day as well as additional programs .
    ~ Improvement of our collections and storage
    ~ Improvement of our website
    ~ Completion of a traveling hiker exhibit by Terry Harley-Wilson, Museum Vice-president and curator
    ~ More visits by teachers participating in the current training for a Trail to Every Classroom
    ~ Preservation of the Darlington Shelter (one buildt by Earl Shaffer ! ) : " Darlington Shelter ...It was buildt by Earl Shaffer and is now abandoned , a mile off the A. T. ...Karen Balaban has been urging us to preserve the shelter and rebuild it outside the Museum . We're in the early stages of getting permission to remove the shelter and preserve it . ....it is made of stones . There is a dirt road that comes close to the shelter but it will still involve a lot of work. " NOTICE ~ ~ VOLUNTEERS WILL BE NEEDED / contact Larry Luxenberg, A.T. Museum President

DONOR FUND PLAQUE * DEADLINE SOON !
    December 31, 2010 postmark is the deadline for mailing in your donation form in order to be listed on this permanent plaque which will hang in the Appalachian Trail Museum , besides helping to fund the Museum's growth.

HAPPY TRAILS !

Robert "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's" Croyle
    A. T. Museum, Memebrship Secretary
    See the attachment below for the current DONOR FUND FORM for your listing on the permanent plaque in the Appalachian Trail Museum ~ ~ RED WOLF

Thumbs up Museum gets Special Donation from the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club

G.A.T.C. DONATES SPECIAL GIFT TO MUSEUM ~ TODAY'S NEWS * * * * *

Here's the recent annoucement letter from the Museum President , Larry Luxenberg :

" just wanted to let everyone know that the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club has voted to provide a Springer Mountain sign for the Museum’s displays. Our thanks to Gary Monk, president of GATC for his efforts. Next year we will be able to have on display the Springer Sign, one from Katahdin (courtesy of MATC) and the Center Point Knob Plaque from MCM. This should give us an extraordinary display.

Best,

Larry

Larry Luxenberg "

Yes, THANKYOU GATC , MATC , and MCM .

Sincerly,

Robert Croyle, Museum Membership Secretary

Talking Joe Liles / the Today Show ~ passed along via Museum President

THE TODAY SHOW PRESENTS JOE LILES ~ (CLIP OF INTERVIEW ) !

Larry Luxenberg, Museum President passed these clips from the Today Show ( Nov. 10 past ) along to me and asked me to place them here on Whiteblaze . They are of Joe Liles, who sang at the Old Mill the Friday before the Museum's opening ( last June 5 ) .

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...07153#40107153

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=665778624001

Robert Croyle aka RED WOLF O'DA SMOKY'S
    A. T. Museum , Membership Secretary

Default Thanks for posting those links

Thanks Red Wolf for posting the news here , I know of several people who would like to see it , tried sending it by the AT museum cause page on Facebook , but they have never made it work since the tinkering they did earlier this fall. I don't know how any one is making Facebook causes work for their organization any more efficiently , would love to know if I am missing something.
    At any rate , Joe " Braid " Liles is about one of the most eloquent ambassadors the Trail has ever had. He has a lot of quality in the class of 2009 backing him up too. GREAT bunch of people.

Thumbs up Special annoucement !

Quote Originally Posted by Tent-N-Kent View Post
    Thanks Red Wolf for posting the news here , I know of several people who would like to see it , tried sending it by the AT museum cause page on Facebook , but they have never made it work since the tinkering they did earlier this fall. I don't know how any one is making Facebook causes work for their organization any more efficiently , would love to know if I am missing something.
    At any rate , Joe " Braid " Liles is about one of the most eloquent ambassadors the Trail has ever had. He has a lot of quality in the class of 2009 backing him up too. GREAT bunch of people.
    DITTO THAT, Tent-N-Kent !

SPECIAL MUSEUM ANNOUCEMENT IN THE WORKS ! stay tuned for its' posting ( soon, once the details are worked out )

Can say now that, if it works out, it will be FANTASTIC for the Museum's progress towards opening all the Old Mill building to our architectual plans !

Robert Croyle "Red Wolf o'da Smoky's"

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++