Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by pertrainer View Post
    My packs base weight on the AT in the summer is around 7 lb, on the PCT around 10 lb . It's important to go very light weight on the PCT mostly because you are often walking on a section of trail where if you stumble and fall off the trail well you die. A heavier pack increases your odds of falling if you do stumble.
    I agree with ARambler , unless you really go slow starting the PCT after the KO party might be to early.
    Hahahahaha! Oh, wait. Was that serious?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I used a granite gear latitude vapor in 2008 and a ULA Conduit in 2009. Prefer the conduit after all's said and done, definitely performed well. Good pack for a 8-10 pound base weight, heavy-foot-eating individual. I didn't wear the hipbelt, either, ever. Not even in the sierras.

Yeah, as far as falling off the trail and dying, not buying it. I mean even on 45 degree snow slopes you'd be fine if you slipped. Only a few places would a fall mean serious injury, much less death.

And starting from the kickoff is fine. I'm a fast hiker and I started from the kickoff in 2009, got to kennedy meadows june 1st and entered the sierras june 3rd. With an average number of zeros, maybe 6 or 7, in socal. Hiking 25s.

Images

I'll be using a REI Great Star. It's a huge bag, but being a heavy drinker and a cold sleeper makes for a heavier load.

Default REI Cruise UL 60

I use the REI CRUISE UL 60 because it has internal stays and other features I like. The newer REI UL pack lost some of those features but is still an excellent pack. I've added REI aftermarket side pockets (no longer available)

Tent> TT Moment

Bag/mattress> WM Megalite, old Thermarest Lite, reg.

Stove(s)> Vargo Jet-Ti, Brunton Flex, Vargo Triad EX (base only,for ESBIT tabs),1 L pot & MSR windscreen

GPS> Garmin Colorado

Water treatment> Steripen Adventurer & Micropur chlorine dioxide tabs for water.

That's the main stuff.

Eric

Default Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    ... but being a heavy drinker and a cold sleeper makes for a heavier load.
    You start on April 20, and hike the same speed as me, right?

Default Catlyst vs Circuit

Since ULA is the clear winner, could I get some more thoughts on Catlyst vs Circuit? Did anyone who went with a Circuit for a PCT thru-hike (accounting for a bear canister) wish they had a bit more room?

It all depends on YOUR gear. I actually found the Circuit too big for my gear as I only filled the pack twice on the entire trip. I only went with it over a smaller pack because I was more concerned about comfortably carrying heavy water loads.

Considering how many Catalysts I saw in comparison to Circuits and how happy they were with the larger pack, many people likely would have found the Circuit too small. That said, I've never ran into anyone who actually had a Circuit who was unhappy with it. If you can fit all your gear into a Circuit including an extra food bag and you can keep the total weight under 35 for most of the trip with a few heavier carries, then you likely will be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wandering_bob View Post
    Six Moon Designs Traveler
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=59

Panel loader
    3800 cubic inches ( 62 liters )
    26 oz frameless or 31 oz with 2 removable aluminum stays in place

Sierra weight with 7 days' food in bear canister and 1 liter of water was 32 pounds.
    Im torn between this and the Circuit.

So with the SMD, does it carry alot of water ok???? I notice the ULA is 10 oz more with the same capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post

So with the SMD, does it carry alot of water ok???? I notice the ULA is 10 oz more with the same capacity
    Also, does the SMD pack have the tiny zippers the tents do.Those zippers are a pain in cold weather

IMO the ULA is better made. I carry the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    IMO the ULA is better made. I carry the Cat.
    I typically carry a pretty light load right now. Should I go with a Catylst for the reason of the water issue???
    Here is my list
    Double Rainbow
    Prolite
    Ultralamina with thermarest pillow
    Starlyte + Titan Kettle

I typically carry a pretty light load right now. Should I go with a Catylst for the reason of the water issue???
    Here is my list
    Double Rainbow
    Prolite
    Ultralamina with thermarest pillow
    Starlyte + Titan Kettle
    Your gear is light enough for the Circ and you would manage I'm sure. My guess is the Cat carries the heavy loads and lighter loads more comfortably and I like having a little more room for... refreshments and such...

I own the ULA Conduit and Circuit. I'll be taking the Circuit this year because I'll be bringing a little extra gear.

With my 13 lb base weight, 5 days of food and 3 liters of water there is still a ton of unused space at the top of the Circuit. The larger Catalyst is very popular but I think it's overkill for a thru-hike. The Circuit is lighter and has more room than I can figure out what to do with.

Whichever model you choose, you can't go wrong with ULA packs. Granite Gear packs (like the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone) are also quite popular on the PCT.

Happy trails,
    Erik the Black
    Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
    Pocket-sized Pacific Crest Trail Maps

My Blog: Erik The Black's Backpacking Blog

Kelty red cloud 5600. My gregory acadia died due to hard use and I almost did not detect the hip belt attachment (plastic) nearly broke. I will not put my pack down hard again. Better to find at home then in the middle of the desert. I wish they did not discontinue the acadia. And gregorys' alternatives are either not my style or too expensive.

I carry more food then needed almost routinely, but I like it that way. Plus eureka zeus 2 man tent to sleep w/ all my gear-5 lbs. Also I got a 1 lb.? canon G10 14.7 megapixel camera.

Catch-Up
    Images

I loved my ULA's on the AT in 06....I started with the Circuit (original model), and finished with my P-2. They unfortunately lost my P-2 last summer during the ownership transition, and replaced it for me with a brand new Ohm. I am starting the PCT this year with the Ohm, looking to get a little lighter, and have the Circuit on deck in case I need more room.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik The Black View Post
    I own the ULA Conduit and Circuit. I'll be taking the Circuit this year because I'll be bringing a little extra gear.

With my 13 lb base weight, 5 days of food and 3 liters of water there is still a ton of unused space at the top of the Circuit. The larger Catalyst is very popular but I think it's overkill for a thru-hike. The Circuit is lighter and has more room than I can figure out what to do with.
    I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. Good to know I'm not the only one who has lots of leftover room in the Circuit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++