WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking/camping winter break

Me and My friend are going to go backpacking/camping over winter break. Can someone recommend the top places to camp/backpack out of VA/WV/MD, so far the only places I've found in MD are crap. Thanks

Images

Two nice areas we have enjoyed during the winter are as follows:
    Cap Hoover area in SNP. The trails are such that loops can be done and the area is beautiful. You can start from the Skyline drive and hike down, or if it is closed, hike up from below. THe Rapidan is very scenic.

The other area we like is the Big Schloss area to the west in the Alleghenys.

Happy Trails!
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Are you looking to do a section of the AT or just for a good campground? If you are looking to do a section, a nice and fairly easy one is Harpers Ferry to Pen Par Park PA. This takes you basically from the VA border to the PA border knocking out about a 50 mile section of the AT
    Conquering the AT one weekend at a time!

Check out this site for some trails... http://midatlantichikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Mole View Post
    Two nice areas we have enjoyed during the winter are as follows:
    Cap Hoover area in SNP. The trails are such that loops can be done and the area is beautiful. You can start from the Skyline drive and hike down, or if it is closed, hike up from below. THe Rapidan is very scenic.

The other area we like is the Big Schloss area to the west in the Alleghenys.

Happy Trails!
    Thanks for the suggestion. Ive actually done big schloss but not in the winter. That might work

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet-SectionHiker View Post
    Are you looking to do a section of the AT or just for a good campground? If you are looking to do a section, a nice and fairly easy one is Harpers Ferry to Pen Par Park PA. This takes you basically from the VA border to the PA border knocking out about a 50 mile section of the AT
    I did think of doing a section of the at but thats a good idea. Im not sure exactly what I want to do yet. Maybe both a section hike and a campground thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes with a stick View Post
    Check out this site for some trails... http://midatlantichikes.com
    Yeah I look there a lot. We were thinking of doing the mt rogers Hike.

Is the blackburn trail center to harpers ferry a good hike?

++ New Posts ++