Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bears are scared of us and usually you will only see their backside. That's what the people in this video believed too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jVXsDBNvM

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Good article! Thanks!
    Me too!

Another tip you don't often hear about, if you're in an area you might really need to use the pepper spray: Do not use your pole straps. You may need the extra dexterity and freedom of movement, especially if you are hit or are forced to lie down. I saw a video of a dramatization of a grizzly attack in Yellowstone, narrated by the survivor. He said he was knocked down and played dead, but he could not reach his spray because he was lying on top of his poles and the straps were like handcuffs. The extra movement needed to get free and get to the can alerted the bear (who was chewing on his partner), and he lost a good part of his calf because of it. But the spray ended up saving the day and his partner's life. Great advice in there about having extra cans in the group.

After seeing that video, which was meant to scare me, I felt more confident going into grizzly country with the pepper spray. By most accounts, it is very effective.

I did discharge a test can once as suggested in the article, and it is an impressive blast, well over 20' before the spray pattern dissipates. I did not experience the nozzle turbulence and blow-back into my face as some have mentioned.

Another warning: The spray can label says to store in a cool dry place, and they mean that. Do not keep it in the trunk of a car on the drive up to Montana on a hot July day. It will leak (thus the test can to play with). It got on my pack and on a shirt. I still sneeze when I need to handle that pack. The liquid gives a temporary burning sensation that lasts less than 15 minutes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    You'll have to chase the bears on the AT to spray the stuff at them. : - )
    Exactly...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    You'll have to chase the bears on the AT to spray the stuff at them. : - )
    Have you not read some of the threads on here about problem bears in N Ga and the Smokies (for examples)? Where bears are the problem, pepper spray is the cure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++