WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: The Packa

Images

Default The Packa

If you were thinking about getting a Packa, do it! I can not testify about the product but the owner, Cedar Tree, is one amazing individual !
    Read here... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55713 ...what he did for one of our troops.
    A soldier (Outrider) had a Packa on his Christmas wish-list. I got a few guys to start kicking in money to get him one. Cedar Tree saw the thread and sent him the Packa and would not accept any money from us who were going to buy it.
    That, my friends, is a man who deserves our business.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

I know, I saw! You're very right limps! And besides, I have the packa, and it is awesome. It just arrived a couple days ago, and I love it. It is much sturdier than I expected. And at first, I thought the pack cover part would be too small, but I packed it as I intend to on my thru, and it was just right, and I have a large pack (and I am no ultra-lighter/ultra-smaller!!!).
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

met ct at traildays got a packa from him at a steal.mine is hand made.great guy.best piece of equipment i own .does what it is supposed to do,and does it well.i feel i am an ambassador of packa.i wont shut up about them.mine is hunter orange.love it.i am going to buy a new one soon,too

Journal Entries

Thanks for the update. I don't own a Packa, but I read a fair amout of WB and such, and talk to folks on the trails. I don't think I have ever heard a Packa owner complain, but I sure have heard them brag!

<salutes Cedar Tree>

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I know, I saw! You're very right limps! And besides, I have the packa, and it is awesome. It just arrived a couple days ago, and I love it. It is much sturdier than I expected. And at first, I thought the pack cover part would be too small, but I packed it as I intend to on my thru, and it was just right, and I have a large pack (and I am no ultra-lighter/ultra-smaller!!!).
    How big is your pack? I have a Baltoro 70 & am wondering if the packa would work for that.

Images

I got mine!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    How big is your pack? I have a Baltoro 70 & am wondering if the packa would work for that.
    I have a Jansport Klamath 72 right now. According the net (I bought it about 4 years ago, maybe 3 and do not remember the details) it is 4400 cubic inches normally, 4850 cubic inches when extended.

When I had all my jazz in my pack and I had my sleeping pad strapped on the outside, I had to squeeze a tiny bit, to get it past the edges. But it fit very well once it was in with room to spare, and if my wide sleeping pad wasn't on the outside (which it won't be- switching to the neo air), it wouldn't even have been tight around the edges. (Which, as I said, once it was on, was actually a bit loose and I used the drawstring)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

Also, I put it on upside down the first time - second time I put it on right side up and it fit well.

Hey Doc Dickhead, I use a Packa with a Baltoro 70, and it works fine.

Images

Default Packa cool!

I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Seems pretty nice, but $110!! Not worth replacing existing equipment at that price, but it's something I'll consider when my stuff fails.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Seems pretty nice, but $110!! Not worth replacing existing equipment at that price, but it's something I'll consider when my stuff fails.
    Bear in mind, it is a pack cover and a rain garment. The only thing comparable price wise is a sil pack cover and an on sale Marmot Precip jacket.

im sold, ive read way to many positive threads on this badboy, making the switch to the packa for my thru hike coming up

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Bear in mind, it is a pack cover and a rain garment. The only thing comparable price wise is a sil pack cover and an on sale Marmot Precip jacket.
    That isn't exactly the case. While I was waiting for the Packa to come in stock, I also found that ZPacks makes a cuben fiber pack cover that is less than 1oz for most packs. Couple that with just about ANY raincoat/poncho and you have a lighter combo. Also, Jacks R Better makes a poncho that can also cover your pack for 9.7 oz. for around $60.

I really like the Packa, but at 13oz, it may be just a little heavy for my tastes compared to what I already currently have in my pack.

I'm also a big Packa fan - I feel like it has advantages over a pack cover since everything is inside the packa, no wet straps or hipbelt. On a trip in January in Otter Creek Wilderness, WV where it started off as rain at 34 deg then dropped much colder, I feel like I stayed drier than most because of the packa, a couple guys couldn't get dried out at camp and actually got pretty cold and had to retire to sleeping bag early.

After I got done with all the seam sealing, its sorta feels like a DIY project, too. To me, its worth the price and seam sealing, twice over. Just my opinion.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I thought it was already seam sealed.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    I thought it was already seam sealed.
    I got mine a couple years ago, and it had to be seam sealed - there was a paper with detailed instructions. It took awhile but has never leaked. Maybe they're already seam sealed now.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yep they're seam sealed now!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

++ New Posts ++