WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    I stayed a shelter in Maine with an AT Purist once. Wasn't sure I was going to make it till morning. He quizzed all other hikers in the area all night long--testing their purity against his. He was a real gem.

In the morning, glad to be alive and not guilty of a felony, I informed the purist of my dislike of the hard climbs ahead of us. I told him I had a helicopter scheduled to airlift me to the next resupply point. He laughed but looked suspiciously at me. He started one of his purist quizzes but I set off down trail during it, leaving him talking in the background.

Not a mile in, on the first climb of a day, a helicopter flew ahead. It's true. I laughed so hard imagining that guy's face that I didn't notice the difficulty of the climb.
    Brilliant story! I'd have loved to see the look on that guy's face...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

I had sleep apnia on Cow Rock Mountain one time.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

In North Carolina a few years ago on the AT near Max Patch I turned around when I heard a "honking" sort of sound to see a bear cub scurrying up a tree just behind me. He kept "crying" - so I watched him for just a moment before getting out of there before his Mom showed up. I hiked about 10 feet before "Mom" did show up - coming down the trail slowly and intently towards me. I didn't want to back up towards the cub (as a threat) and didn't want to advance on Mom - so when Mom got too close for comfort I slid of the edge of the trail (a real steep slide) and hung onto a tree down the slope until the bears left - then climbed back up. Not exactly Rambo - but nobody got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I was hiking in the Big Horns in Wy back in the mid 90's. Not really backpacking as much as fishing some small lakes when I decided to go up through the pass and try to fish the lakes on the other side of the ridge. At this point I was already 6 miles from my truck which was parked at Bighorn Resivor and 4 miles from the last trail or road. I was basicly bushwacking my way along the creek and valley floor. This got much easier as I got closer to tree line. I figure I was somewhere about 10,500 ft at this point. This was over the 4th of july but there was still tons of snow in the headwall. This was Cross Creek Canyon for those of you who know the area at all. As I was about halfway up and noticed that no one had been up through as the snow was completely undisturbed the snow step that I had kicked in let loose and I slid for a little bit. It seemed like a long way but was not much more than 5 to 10 feet before I was able to use the butt of my fishing pole to slow my slide. I am not sure how long the snow field was, a couple of hundred feet or more, but I know that if I had fallen and not stopped I would have been moving really fast as I slammed into the rocks at the bottom.

Even if I didn't die from that making it the 6 miles back to where my vehicle was would have been doubtful at best. For the rest of the time that I was out all that kept going through my head was a conversation I had had with a co worker who years before while coming out of Geneva Pass one valley over tot he west had found a body in the scree field at the bottom of the pass with a very clearly compound fractured femur. I just keep thinking of how that could have been me. I took a much longer but more traveled and gentler route home. I will never know for sure it it was just clouds setting in but the high peaks seemed much more dark and forbidding the rest of the day.
    Sasquatch,

I've been up and down Geneva pass several times and up Cloud Peak twice. I've been there on "busy" weekends and there are very few people more than 4 miles out from the trailhead. You definitely would have been in trouble- glad you made it ok! God I miss the Bighorns.

Your story kind of reminds me of a stunt by Edward Abbey in his book "Desert Solitaire." He climbs a mountain and then sleds down it on a big flat rock.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Hiking out of Kent, I got a real late start and only went a couple of miles, a few miles short of the shelter. Luckily there was an established campsite there, complete with a privy. (the open air kind with the great view!) For some reason, I decided to walk waaaay to the back and picked the farthest tent site from the trail. I was alone, but about 9 pm I heard some hikers arrive closer to the trail. Recognizing the voices, I was excited to see some of my good friends. They had no idea I was camped there, since my tent was so far back. Retiring to my tent for the night, I was writing in my journal when I heard that bone chilling sound of a falling tree- directly overhead. It seemed to happen slowly, as I had time to conciously curl in the fetal position and await my fate. I could hear each branch break as the tree neared closer. It was definitely headed right for me. After the loud crash I opened my eyes to discover I was alive and unhurt. I heard one of my friends yell POWDER!!! It took a few moments to unzip my tent, stumble out and assess what had happened. At first I couldn't tell if anything was different. There had been a sitting log nearby when I pitched my tent. After a moment I realized that this log had moved closer. Rather, there was a new one just two feet from my tent, and perfectly parrallel to it. It wasn't a whole tree, but the top 15 feet or so of the one overhead. The tree looked perfectly healthy down low, but apparently the top was rotten and toppled with no wind. I estimate the weight of the log would have been enough to kill or seriously injure me, and it fell from a height of 30+ feet. Thank the good lord it didn't! I was also glad my friends had arrived, as it would have been some time before I was discovered so far from the trail.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Quote Originally Posted by njordan2 View Post
    This is an interesting little story depending on how you interpret the events.
    Around 3 years ago, or so, two of my uncle and I were on our annual week long hike of the Appalachian Trail. We put in somewhere around muskrat and were headed to Springer.
    A few days in, it began to rain buckets and did not stop for, like, three days. We stayed on top of Blood Mountain during the worst storm of the trip, (and incidentaly, the worst storm of my life). But man, let me tell you, that is the shelter to stay in when there is a terrible storm. It is made from rocks and huge timbers.
    The next day we hiked to Gootch Gap shelter and a man was there who had claimed the entire top half of the shelter as his own. He had hung up a tarp in front like a wall and seemed to have been there for a while.
    There was also a gentleman at the shelter of very slight stature from Austria. He did not speak English well, and for the most part just kept to himself.
    Talking to the man who had been there for a while seemed to be revealing. Not of anything specifically about him, but that in general, everything he said was a lie. For instance, when asked how far he was going, of course his reply was "all the way. Full 2,000+ miles". This did not agree with the general state of his equipment. For one thing, he carried his water in a milk jug. Also, he claimed to be from New Jersey. Not being from the area, I would judge his accent as pure Northern Georgia or surrounding areas. Of course, he claimed to have just arrived at the shelter the previous day and was waiting out the storm. There was the smell of a skunk in the area and he said "that old skunk shows up day after day just looking for a free meal". That comment seemed out of place for someone who had been there less than 24 hours.
    In general the guy just seemed weird and shifty, but hey, the way I see it, big deal. Nobody is perfect.
    That night he did not sleep, but stayed awake rustling around up stairs, listening to the radio, brewing coffee and smoking some stinking cigars. (That in turn kept me awake!!)
    Come morning, my uncles were suited up and off to the trail while I was still finishing breakfast sitting at the picnic table in front of the shelter.
    I thought I heard someone jump behind me, so I stood up and there was ol' stinky cigar smoker standing, head cocked to the side and back, with a bowie knife in one hand and a frying pan in the other looking at me. He raised the knife pointing over my shoulder to my backpack hanging on a nail and said,
    "That's a mighty nice pack ya got there."
    "I like it" I replied while making the note not to turn my back on him.
    He jestured again the knife toward the pack and asked, "Is that a Kelty?"
    "No, it's a Gregory" Just like the emblem you can read from where your standing says, I thought to myself.
    "Oh, Gregory. That is a nice pack" He took a step closer to me and struck with his knife the bottom of the pan he held in his other hand in a sharpening type of motion while he maintained direct eye contact with me. I thought to myself, "Man this is gonna hurt." I do not know any fighting skills and had no weapons near by.
    He took another step and I heard over my left shoulder in the gruff voice of my uncle
    "This is f#%king b#llsh#%t!" I turned to look and it was, indeed my uncle.
    A little about this uncle of mine. Unlike me, he is a trained fighter. Skilled in several forms of martial arts, very large at around 230lb and of very imposing presence. Often times he's the one who scares the others away.
    I then wipped back around just in time to see ol' stinky cigar smoker split and run off the other direction.
    To my uncle, I was all like, "Oh dude, I am glad you came back! I was just..."
    Mid sentence he cut me off and said "Yea, this is f#%cking b*ll*****. I put on all this rain gear, hit the trail and it stops raining. I figured I needed to reconfigure my pack anyway and this picnic table is here, so I came back to change out of my rain gear"
    He had no idea what was going down at the moment he re-arrived at the shelter. It was shear "luck" that he was there when he was.
    Once we regrouped and discussed the events, we remembered a few days before, when we dropped our car off at Amacalola, the park ranger had a police wanted poster and said to be on the look out for a guy who fit this description between Springer and Neal's Gap.
    A couple of years later, I was shown a picture on the internet of a man and I said that it looked alot like the weathered man I ran into at Gooch Gap. Only this time it appeared he had shaved his head. I was then informed that that was the picture of a man from that area who was arrested for the murder of a girl in that area.
    I have always wondered what ever became of the young man from Austria who we left behind.

just my take on the story...
    njordan2,

This is a chilling story. Are you saying you think you ran into Gary Hilton?
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

me and chaco fought over sardeens and almost died
    matthewski

My scariest experience was on Cheoah Bald. I set up my tent on top, on a nice clear night. I'm awoken in the middle of the night by a huge kaboom, and I'm now literally in the middle of a rain and lightning storm. Lightning was going from cloud to cloud above me, beside me, and below me. Lightning was hitting the ground further down the mountain. Still not sure why it never made contact with the ground on top of the mountain, but luckily for me it didn't.

I spent that night curled up on my ccf sleeping pad, expecting to be hit by lightning. It was awful. Only pure luck got me through that night without being cooked.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    ...I didn't want to back up towards the cub (as a threat) and didn't want to advance on Mom - so when Mom got too close for comfort I slid of the edge of the trail (a real steep slide) and hung onto a tree down the slope until the bears left - then climbed back up. Not exactly Rambo - but nobody got hurt.
    You did exactly the right thing. I had a similar thing happen to me with a cow moose and her calf. The mom was not happy that I was between the two of them. I slid off the side of the trail and hid behind a large tree (I'm sure they still knew I was there, but the tree gave me comfort). Still the closest I've ever been to a mosse, and man are they huge.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I should add... two weeks ago during the snow, I was climbing across wolf rocks and it was impossible to tell what rocks were sturdy, which weren't slanted... and which were actually there. Long story short, I stepped on an unsturdy rock and fell a good distance. My back still hurts from it :-/
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

part of wolf rocks in the background, to illustrate my problem. (this was the "end of it" though)

Images

Man, Wolf Rocks is kinda hard not to fall when there isn't snow!

Powder- glad you're alive, and I like your tag line quote!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

my dog almost died on cat rocks NJ. we made it to the top going nobo, then on the way down i climbed down to the boulder below, then lowered my dog down. then i went down another boulder &she thought i was on the ground already but i was still 20 feet or higher. she jumps and instantly i stuck out my arms and caught all 75+lbs of her in mid air. pure luck or not, i always could read her like a book. i sensed it was going to happen. it helps on a long hike to be tuned into each other.

Quote Originally Posted by njordan2 View Post
    This is an interesting little story depending on how you interpret the events.
    Around 3 years ago, or so, two of my uncle and I were on our annual week long hike of the Appalachian Trail. We put in somewhere around muskrat and were headed to Springer.
    A few days in, it began to rain buckets and did not stop for, like, three days. We stayed on top of Blood Mountain during the worst storm of the trip, (and incidentaly, the worst storm of my life). But man, let me tell you, that is the shelter to stay in when there is a terrible storm. It is made from rocks and huge timbers.
    The next day we hiked to Gootch Gap shelter and a man was there who had claimed the entire top half of the shelter as his own. He had hung up a tarp in front like a wall and seemed to have been there for a while.
    There was also a gentleman at the shelter of very slight stature from Austria. He did not speak English well, and for the most part just kept to himself.
    Talking to the man who had been there for a while seemed to be revealing. Not of anything specifically about him, but that in general, everything he said was a lie. For instance, when asked how far he was going, of course his reply was "all the way. Full 2,000+ miles". This did not agree with the general state of his equipment. For one thing, he carried his water in a milk jug. Also, he claimed to be from New Jersey. Not being from the area, I would judge his accent as pure Northern Georgia or surrounding areas. Of course, he claimed to have just arrived at the shelter the previous day and was waiting out the storm. There was the smell of a skunk in the area and he said "that old skunk shows up day after day just looking for a free meal". That comment seemed out of place for someone who had been there less than 24 hours.
    In general the guy just seemed weird and shifty, but hey, the way I see it, big deal. Nobody is perfect.
    That night he did not sleep, but stayed awake rustling around up stairs, listening to the radio, brewing coffee and smoking some stinking cigars. (That in turn kept me awake!!)
    Come morning, my uncles were suited up and off to the trail while I was still finishing breakfast sitting at the picnic table in front of the shelter.
    I thought I heard someone jump behind me, so I stood up and there was ol' stinky cigar smoker standing, head cocked to the side and back, with a bowie knife in one hand and a frying pan in the other looking at me. He raised the knife pointing over my shoulder to my backpack hanging on a nail and said,
    "That's a mighty nice pack ya got there."
    "I like it" I replied while making the note not to turn my back on him.
    He jestured again the knife toward the pack and asked, "Is that a Kelty?"
    "No, it's a Gregory" Just like the emblem you can read from where your standing says, I thought to myself.
    "Oh, Gregory. That is a nice pack" He took a step closer to me and struck with his knife the bottom of the pan he held in his other hand in a sharpening type of motion while he maintained direct eye contact with me. I thought to myself, "Man this is gonna hurt." I do not know any fighting skills and had no weapons near by.
    He took another step and I heard over my left shoulder in the gruff voice of my uncle
    "This is f#%king b#llsh#%t!" I turned to look and it was, indeed my uncle.
    A little about this uncle of mine. Unlike me, he is a trained fighter. Skilled in several forms of martial arts, very large at around 230lb and of very imposing presence. Often times he's the one who scares the others away.
    I then wipped back around just in time to see ol' stinky cigar smoker split and run off the other direction.
    To my uncle, I was all like, "Oh dude, I am glad you came back! I was just..."
    Mid sentence he cut me off and said "Yea, this is f#%cking b*ll*****. I put on all this rain gear, hit the trail and it stops raining. I figured I needed to reconfigure my pack anyway and this picnic table is here, so I came back to change out of my rain gear"
    He had no idea what was going down at the moment he re-arrived at the shelter. It was shear "luck" that he was there when he was.
    Once we regrouped and discussed the events, we remembered a few days before, when we dropped our car off at Amacalola, the park ranger had a police wanted poster and said to be on the look out for a guy who fit this description between Springer and Neal's Gap.
    A couple of years later, I was shown a picture on the internet of a man and I said that it looked alot like the weathered man I ran into at Gooch Gap. Only this time it appeared he had shaved his head. I was then informed that that was the picture of a man from that area who was arrested for the murder of a girl in that area.
    I have always wondered what ever became of the young man from Austria who we left behind.

just my take on the story...
    My take on this story is that it really must be told around a campfire with a flashlight held up under the story tellers face. A real "3 fingered Willie" story, thats my take.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    my dog almost died on cat rocks NJ.
    So we'd have to change the name to "Only Cats Rocks"

it would of been ugly. thank the lord im a big guy and had the ability to catch her! my dog must of thought she was superman or something. she only ever did that once thankfully. the sun must of been in her eyes? i've missed a few ground balls, probably because the sun was in my eyes!

Images

Crumb, that reminds me of the time my crazy dog almost leapt over the edge of a 75 foot cliff.

We were hiking by Lake Michigan north of Milwaukee, the entire shoreline is cliffs in that area. He saw the water (he loves water) and took off running to go jump into the lake, apparently not realizing he would have quite a free-fall to get to it. I yelled "STOP!" and he hit the brakes, stopped about 10 feet short of the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Crumb, that reminds me of the time my crazy dog almost leapt over the edge of a 75 foot cliff.

We were hiking by Lake Michigan north of Milwaukee, the entire shoreline is cliffs in that area. He saw the water (he loves water) and took off running to go jump into the lake, apparently not realizing he would have quite a free-fall to get to it. I yelled "STOP!" and he hit the brakes, stopped about 10 feet short of the edge.
    just the right tone in your voice probably? saved him. my dog bear knew what no and stop meant! you say stop and she'd stop on a dime & give you change. we were heading for deep gap shelter once and there was only one other hiker there, i knew him and we were shooting the s*** we see her heading towards the shelter he looks at me i look at him. he had his sleeping bag layed out, and bear headed straight for it about 3 feet away i yell no! and she looped back out of the shelter. she thought it was my bag. she never messed with anyones gear or food or anything,but alot of hikers shared with her anyway jerky,blanket,water,etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Slid maybe 200' down a 35 degree angle while descending St. John's ledges (right before the easiest 6mi stretch along the AT, the CT River Walk, HAH) a couple weeks ago.

The leaves were so dry and I couldn't tell what was rock and what was not. Ended up slipping on leaves on a rock and down I went.
    I think I did that descent a few hours after you.

It was challenging. In quite a few places it was necessary to hang on with one hand while swinging feet/body/pack down to the next spot where a toehold could be got.

In fact I was thinking it would probably make a good rock climbing course. I read later on that it is, in fact, used for a rock climbing course.

Parts of it I did slide down, on purpose, because it was the optimal way to go. With all the leaves, it was too steep to descend normally so I squatted down in the leaves (which were about a foot deep in spots), with my pack almost touching the rock, and let gravity do the work.

Clearly the trail was run down this particular descent as karmic pre-payback for the easy part ahead.

Great thread. Got an adrenaline rush from just reading all the posts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++