WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

JRB down sleeves turn any vest into a jacket... At night the excell as sleep socks.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    This past weekend I did a section of the AT and the temps got pretty cold at night. I was snug in my sleeping bag with the exception of my feet. I ended up putting on 4 pairs of wool socks but my feet were still cold.

Thanks for any input!
    You did take off the socks you spent the day hiking in, right?
    If not, that could be the problem because the socks will be damp, even if they don't feel like it.

Images

I've used the Feathered Friends down booties on a couple of winter camping trips in northern MN where the night time temperatures went to 25 below. The booties, along with dry socks, kept my feet happy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    If not, that could be the problem because the socks will be damp, even if they don't feel like it.
    Now that you mention it, no, I didn't. Doh! They didn't *feel* damp but they probably were. I've got a plan I'm going to try next weekend at the Devil's Marbleyard so we'll see how that pans out. I really hope it works because I don't do enough cold hiking (yet) to justify to myself the expense of down booties.

Images

Those booties look awesome!!!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    Now that you mention it, no, I didn't. Doh! They didn't *feel* damp but they probably were. I've got a plan I'm going to try next weekend at the Devil's Marbleyard so we'll see how that pans out. I really hope it works because I don't do enough cold hiking (yet) to justify to myself the expense of down booties.
    If you want to try out booties, REI has them on sale now for $19.99 - 33% off. Not the best or the lightest, but you can always upgrade and use these around the house if they work out for you.

http://www.rei.com/product/772100

In an emergency if you need to get your feet warm trapping moisture to avoid evaporation heat loss can be a good thing in the short term.

At the end of a day of hiking my feet need rest and a chance to dry/air out. To make miles the next day dry feet resist foot care issues from blisters to trenchfoot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Socks that are too tight can be a problem as others have said. There is also an old saying: "if your feet are cold, put on a hat", and that may also help. Another suggestion is to make sure you have a good meal before you go to bed. In winter you can increase the amount of fat in your diet as fats 'burn' more slowly and will keep you warm longer. Also make sure you're hydrated when you go to bed because if you don't drink enough your blood will become more viscous and carry less oxygen and heat to your extremities.
    All good.

Cheese is the answer.

Full length closed cell pad?

Clean dry thick wool sleeping socks. Not CoolMax.

An oddball-Don't push against the foot of your bag. Compresses insulation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Man, beat me to it! The single best solution to being cold is to change your clothes, or atleast the clothing that you are wearing nearest to your skin. Get out of it, and into those that you have allowed to dry and air out.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Cheese is the answer.
    You've said a mouthful! A mouthful of cheese! Is there any better bedtime snack? Snack? Make it a meal! Keep those cheesy fires burning all night long! Cheesy feet = warm feet! Cheesetastic!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I had the Knack cranked in the truck today, and ever since that post I have had "cheese is the answer" bouncing around in my head. Glad I could count on you to rise to the cheese.

Images

I second the water bottle thing. However, I go one more step. I stick the water bottle in a sock. This keeps the water in the bottle warm much longer and it also keeps it from being too hot. I've done this numerous times and it works like a charm.
    Soli Deo Gloria

I have a major cold fingers and toes issue when I camp. The only thing ive found so far that works is to put on a pair of wool socks, then shove hot hands down another pair of socks and put those on. I also found if i keep my toes warm my fingers usually stay pretty comfortable too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    This one is free, uses no fuel, does not risk a spill in the bag, and it works - always. It will even work when your stove will not.
    Next time you are at Walmart get two produce bags - before you snuggle into sleeping bag at night, remove your socks, put bare feet in produce bags, put sock back on. Got to sleep. Wake up. Remove socks and produce bag, dry feet and put socks back on.
    Another use is for nasty wet cold days when the feet are hurting bad - put bare feet in loner socks, then in produce bags, put on hiking socks, put socked feet in another produce bag, put boots on and walk, walk, walk.
    This has always worked for me - the vapor barrier idea I got off this and other boards, the produce bags are hootyhoo's cheap way of getting the job done.
    I tried this method this weekend on a hike to Devil's Marbleyard. The temps got down to the high teens, low 20's and it was so cold the water I poured in my cup for coffee started freezing before I could place it on the stove to boil.

Anyway, I took two grocery bags, put one on each foot and then loose fitting socks over that and my feet stayed nice and warm all night! I was really shocked to be honest.

Thanks again for everyone who offered ideas!

Parsimonious curmudgeon Slack-jawed Trog's Avatar
    Images

Hey now, Fritz!

In addition to all the other good advice, the one bit I didn't see is: do you wear a hat to bed? On a cold night, all the other things I do don't keep me warm all the way to morning as much as my fleece balaclava.

YMMV,
    Slack-jawed Troglodyte

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
    heat some water before bedtime. pour it in a water bottle with a good seal (like a nalgene). put it in the footbox of sleeping bag. not only will this help keep your feet warm, you'll have some water that isn't frozen to use the next morning.
    I use a stainless bottle in the winter and put it next to the fire before going to bed at night (where allowed). I have an insulated holder on my pack waistbelt that I take off and bring to bed with me with the bottle inside. The water is not only warm but usually fairly hot in the morning which is good for a quick breakfast even if using an alcohol stove.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I've used Integral Designs hot socks with great success when it is cold out... they weigh 4 oz are filled with primaloft or something similar. i never tend to wear socks in my sleeping bag due to the constriction issue mentioned above. I find that even with one pair of sockes on it cuts down on the circulation in my feet rendering them cold. Also, it is important to eat a hearty meal with substantial calories including a fair amount of calories that are derived from fat. The more you eat before you sleep the warmer you will be and your tummy will be happy too.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I've got an aluminum sigg bottle i put boiling water in. I seal it up and i put it's Fleece Insulator around it. Throw it at my feet. By 3-4am, if it's gotten cold, I'll pour the water out then (no joke...) pee in the bottle, then put it back at my feet. That'll keep them warm until 6am when it's wakeup time
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Try sleeping without socks. They restrict blood flow. Zip up your coat and put it around the bottom of your sleeping bag.

isotonics is the exsercize of tightening and loosening muscles without moveing around. flex your every muscel in your bag over and over till your warm. about 2 minutes. getting up to do warming exsersizes is the wrong approch. isotonics is harder than say, jogging in place or jumping jack tarlins because its mentaly hard to flex much more than a few muscel groups at one time. but with concentration, one learns to flex almost all the groups in a weird rythem of spastic flinching that acheives warmth more efficiently than anything short of bobcat.
    matthewski

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++