WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Which one would would be better for a thru.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MSR Hubba or REI Quarter Dome T1

Which one would you choose and why?

Images

it depends, i like the two tents but i dont fit in either... too narrow, too short. i'm 280 pounds and 5'11... tents just aren't big enough... so i bought a hammock

Both are excessively narrow, but the T1 is even more so and short too. I think the BA Seedhouse SL1 is the best solo tent on the market, but you might also look at a tarps and bug biivys.

What is the price of the Seedhouse? Price is a major factor too.

MSRP is $250 but there is a poster selling a new one in the for sale section for $180.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55918

I found the regular Seedhouse not the SL on REI.com for $140 but the reviews say that the poles break very easily and the complete tent without the footprint is heavier than the MSR or REI WITH the footprint. For most of the trail I wouldnt be carrying the body but I would be some of the time. Im not sure how much lighter the SL is though...

I took a look at the post on here about the guy selling the BA Seedhouse and he is trying to trade it for a MSR Hubba so that kinda tells me NOT to go with the BA and maybe the MSR. Im still not sure yet. Im gonna go to REI this friday and try to get inside a few tents and then make up my mind. MAYBE

Hike smarter, not harder.

No UL or tarp choices, huh?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I'm 5'2 and weigh 54 kilo's and have a msr hubba i find that the length is great, but width wise it is just that bit too narrow. I used to have a big agnus 2person tent (used only solo for me) and that was the best of tents until the poles broke and I have not been able to replace them. I live in Australia and found it really difficult to explain that all I wanted was a new set of poles i.e. without the tent. So I gave up and bought the msr. Maybe when I get over there in March doing an nobo I may be able to get the replacement poles.
    We all live in hope
    Cheers
    gipcgirl

Nope, no UL or Tarp choices for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I took a look at the post on here about the guy selling the BA Seedhouse and he is trying to trade it for a MSR Hubba so that kinda tells me NOT to go with the BA and maybe the MSR. Im still not sure yet. Im gonna go to REI this friday and try to get inside a few tents and then make up my mind. MAYBE
    That's the best thing to do. In the end, it's your home, you have to be happy with it.

My wife and I tried out 10 different tents before we settled with the Hubba Hubba.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

having a poll that is limited to two choices in a world with thousands of shelter designs and manufacturers available is not very well designed.

If YOU have narrowed your choices down to these two, that's fine. dumb poll though
    JMHO
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I really like my Big Agnes products. One of the tents we have for my Scouts developed a problem and BA replaced it quick and free of charge, I would assume they would replace poles quick.

Have you considered www.tarptent.com. A little more expensive, but tons more room with a ton less weight.

Images

Although I'm a hanger, I looked and looked and looked at solo tents before finally settling on the hammock. My choice between the two you mention is the REI. The Hubba is has marginally acceptable width IF the sides didn't come up so much as in every setup I've seen. The REI isn't much better but seems to do a little better and is cheaper.

Frankly, I settled on a hammock because I needed more room than I could find in a solo tent. (already had a 2-man tent).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    What is the price of the Seedhouse? Price is a major factor too.
    Check your REIs for their "scratch and dent sale" / "garage sale". The ones where I am usually have these sales in December and January. There was a pile of SL1s and Hubbas that got returned with nothing wrong with them. I got my SL1 for $100 bucks a while back at this sale, practically new.

Images

It is a tough decision, they are very similar tents. For myself, I think I would go with the MSR Hubba. The deciding factor being that 40" of headroom in the Hubba is just enough; the 37" of headroom in the REI Quarter Dome T1 is not quite enough for me.

A minor plus for the MSR Hubba is the additional 5" of inside length.

A negative for the Hubba is the yellow rain fly that screams, "Here I am!".

A plus for the Quarter Dome T1 is the more subdued rainfly colors of green and gray.

The Seedhouse SL1 uses DAC Featherlite poles just like the MSR and most other high end tents made. The regular Seedhouse does not use DAC poles.

You should really atleast look into tarptents. Is there a reason you need a double wall shelter?

I think if you are starting early you will be a lot more comfortable ( and probably safer) in a double wall shelter. I hate the extra wait, but I am starting nobo February 20 so I am taking a Hubba Hubba which I like.

Hubba. truely free standing. Easy to set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++