WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Whats the shortest distance you hiked in a day?

People talk about busting out 20 mile+ days routinely. I'd like to hear people bragging about the shortest day. I'm talking on-trail mileage, not including hiking into or out of a town, or road crossing, straight up "i left the shelter and hiked 0.3 miles then set up camp".

Hit me.

Cheers

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i assume you mean thru-hiking the AT. if not, we've hiked 0 miles, stayed in the same spot.

on our thru, one day we slept til 9 or so, got up and hiked 4 miles to upper goose pond cabin and ended up staying the night there.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Shortest day

We left Roan High Knob early on a cold and foggy morning. Hiked maybe 6 miles to the Over Mountain Shelter. It was such an amazing area. We decided to call it a day and enjoyed one of the best shelters on the trail.

3.5 miles over the baldpate mountains. It was so windy that day that I was nearly blown off the mountain, took the rest of the day off.

I tried to capture the conditions via a picture, but it doesn't do justice to the actual conditions that day. Couldn't see the trail through the fog and the wind was the strongest I've ever hiked in, with no cover.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=6936

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

8/15/79: 2.6 miles from the old cabin near the summit of Camel's Hump (Gorham Lodge on the Long Trail) north to ancient, dark Montclair Glen Lodge. It had been raining and blowing hard since the prior evening as the temperature dropped to just above freezing. We waited around until mid-morning but nothing improved, so we set out over the fogged in summit of Camel's Hump and made it to the Lodge soaking wet in our ponchos. We cooked up a lunch, lazed around, and finally decided to just not hike anymore on our 12th day out.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 11-25-2009 at 13:06. Reason: Link to TrailJournals and overstated mileage
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

My shortest days were typically nero's. Either from the last shelter into town, or from town out to the first shelter. I can get a much earlier start on the day when I don't stay in town.

Storyteller
    Images

I hiked from the couch to the fridge to grab a beer last night. Does that count?

.2 Watauga Lake Shelter to Watauga Lake. Started late hiked into a party.
    Did the 40 into Damascus the next day.
    Yahtzee

Day 2: Stover Creek to Hawk Mtn.

I knew there was a very bad storm coming and wanted to be inside. This was one of those storms where even the short trip to the privy would get you completely soaked. There was a nice lightning show as well. This was at the begining of April so there were more than 30 other people there, but only 4 of us stayed inside. The combination of not checking the weather, fear of mice from stories on the internet, and the novelty of their new tents kept them all out there to get their gear drenched.

Images

Left Harpers Ferry, walked 1.2 miles north along the canal, stopped at the hostel.
    What? Me worry??

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers View Post
    People talk about busting out 20 mile+ days routinely. I'd like to hear people bragging about the shortest day. I'm talking on-trail mileage, not including hiking into or out of a town, or road crossing, straight up "i left the shelter and hiked 0.3 miles then set up camp".

Hit me.

Cheers
    October 22, 2004 - hiked a grand total of 0.7 miles from the parking lot at the north end of Fontana Phony Lake to the Fontana Hilton. Upon emerging from the woods to the parking lot, I received some unexpected Trail Magic from Wildcat. Spent the night at his home and didn't resume until late afternoon the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    8/15/79: 2.8 miles from the old cabin near the summit of Camel's Hump (Gorham Lodge on the Long Trail) north to ancient, dark Montclair Glen Lodge. It had been raining and blowing hard since the prior evening as the temperature dropped to just above freezing. We waited around until mid-morning but nothing improved, so we set out over the fogged in summit of Camel's Hump and made it to the Lodge soaking wet in our ponchos. We cooked up a lunch, lazed around, and finally decided to just not hike anymore on our 12th day out.
    That 2.8 miles was harder and probably took longer than some 10 mile stretches elsewhere,

LW's house to Dots!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    That 2.8 miles was harder and probably took longer than some 10 mile stretches elsewhere,
    It certainly felt that way, although at the time, being a Northeasterner, I didn't have any experience with the smooth, well-graded trails down south so I didn't know any better.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    8/15/79: 2.6 miles from the old cabin near the summit of Camel's Hump (Gorham Lodge on the Long Trail) north to ancient, dark Montclair Glen Lodge. It had been raining and blowing hard since the prior evening as the temperature dropped to just above freezing. We waited around until mid-morning but nothing improved, so we set out over the fogged in summit of Camel's Hump and made it to the Lodge soaking wet in our ponchos. We cooked up a lunch, lazed around, and finally decided to just not hike anymore on our 12th day out.
    BTW, I remember Gorham Lodge - I stayed there in the early 1980s. But weren't you really hiking south? I guess in the thick fog and cold, it's hard to know where you're going.!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Word. That stretch around Camel's Hump, especially south of the Hump to the summit is the hardest and slowest trail I have encountered. It's actually a great climb heading up the north side, tho.
    Yahtzee

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hit ME!

People talk about busting out 20 mile+ days routinely. I'd like to hear people bragging about the shortest day. I'm talking on-trail mileage, not including hiking into or out of a town, or road crossing, straight up "i left the shelter and hiked 0.3 miles then set up camp".Hit me.
    Cheers

I think my shortest day was a 4 or 5 miler...from campsite to the next closest Shelter!

what abt it "Jigsaw"????

see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Word. That stretch around Camel's Hump, especially south of the Hump to the summit is the hardest and slowest trail I have encountered.....
    I sure wouldn't want to hike it when icy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    I hiked from the couch to the fridge to grab a beer last night. Does that count?

Nice one...lol

Images

Hit me.

Cheers
    But dude, that's exactly the mileage I hiked from CT341 to Mt. Algo shelter recently (actually backtracking on the AT for an overnight --- I am a total purist).

Okay, let me answer this seriously. My shortest day that wasn't INTENDED to end at a road crossing was about 2.5 miles, left Graymoor, got serious pain in right foot probably related to newish hiking shoes, decided I like not being crippled better than I like hiking and exited at Old Albany Post Rd.

But let's see, the shortest day that wasn't inadvertently terminated........

gotta go to trailjournals for this............

I'm a section hiker so many of my days start very late with getting myself from the city on public transport, and then often a shuttle/long hike/hitchhike to the trail or they end abruptly when I have camped very close to where I'll get off the trail at the end.

Shortest ever 7.0 miles, CT341 to Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to. First full day on the trail so I got a pretty late start (it's hard to adjust from second-shift hours to hiker midnight). Technically there was the aforementioned 0.3 from Mt. Algo Lean-to (backtracking) but even adding that it'd still be the shortest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++