WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default should I do this

this is the deal im 26 graduated with my M.A. and will be enrollng in a PHD program in september. I cant find a full time job but have roughly 3000 saved up (probably more through a temp job). I see no point sitting around from late febuary/ early march to september doing nothing should I hike?.

Quote Originally Posted by greepigfoot View Post
    this is the deal im 26 graduated with my M.A. and will be enrollng in a PHD program in september. I cant find a full time job but have roughly 3000 saved up (probably more through a temp job). I see no point sitting around from late febuary/ early march to september doing nothing should I hike?.
    You mean thru-hike? If I were in your situation, I'd do it. I talked about thru-hiking for over 10 years. I'd hate to think that I had not completed the AT in another 10 years.

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

HELL YEAH! nuff said
    Alcohol was involved!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Absolutely. Time of your life...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I would. Try to save up a little more $$$ though. Not that you can't do it on $3K, you could, but it'll be easier if you have more $$$.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

You're asking a forum of long distance hikers and AT junkies if you should thru-hike. What answer did you expect? Of course you should thru-hike.

Living on the Trail is usually cheaper than living in town. Even an expensive thru at $6000 is only $1000/month, a lot of people spend more than that on rent and utilities.

Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Living on the Trail is usually cheaper than living in town.
    But only if you don't have any overhead while your gone, such as storage, keeping a place to come back to, car stuff, etc.

Also, do you already have the gear you need to start out that early? If not, that can be a big chunk out of your 3K.

Oh, what the heck, just go!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you have the gear, GO! You will NOT regret it. Plus it will look good on your resume. Not as good as a PHD but it sure wont hurt. I hope to see you on the trail next year and have a Happy Thanksgiving...

Good luck with the decision. Dont hesitate, if you have the means and have the gear, go hike

A typical doctoral program will put you out of commission for long adventures for perhaps five or six years.

If you have the opportunity and the means......well of course you should hike this spring. Put away another $1500 bucks and start walking!

no brainer. like Nike says, just do it. i almost died one day 9 months ago. in fact i did die. 4 times. shocked me back. point is, jobs are just jobs. dime a dozen. just go walkin' and worry about the future in the future

Journal Entries
    Images

Do It!

I have a wife, 2 kids and a crappy job.

I wish I could but not now is what I am saying now and its what you'll be saying in a few years.

If it's what you really want to do with that time in your life, then as Wolf says, it's a no-brainer... but consider everything you might want to do with that chunk of time and money. . . and decide accordingly. . . enjoy your spring/summer. . . .

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Once you settle in for your career, family, etc. it will be hard to take the time. Do it now or wait till you retire. Now you have the perfect opportunity. Go hike and have fun!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

If you wait for all conditions to be right, you'll be waiting a long time. As with the doctoral program, it's probably best not to ask whether you are biting off more than you can chew. Just chomp away.

Come on! Slap Slap Slap Wake up! You are going into a doctorate program shortly. You are 26 yrs old and you can't decide for yourself if you should hike! You don't need validation from anyone here! Either decide to go for it or don't!

What do you think most of the responses are going to be regarding whether or not to hike when you ask that question at a hiking website?

you would regret NOT hiking more than you could EVER regret actually getting out there. TRUST ME (and the other hundreds of people on WB) you've got a good window of opportunity here! I'm doing my hike in 2 sections over summer breaks from school. This first half will be completed this summer and the second half next summer! Its perfect for me : ) so just find whats perfect for you : )
    "The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time"

Images

Job = Journey of the Broke

Hike = Journey of a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikiniki View Post
    you would regret NOT hiking more than you could EVER regret actually getting out there. TRUST ME (and the other hundreds of people on WB) you've got a good window of opportunity here! I'm doing my hike in 2 sections over summer breaks from school. This first half will be completed this summer and the second half next summer! Its perfect for me : ) so just find whats perfect for you : )
    I agree dont miss the chance it may not come again hope to see you on the trail
    GRAVY

Default Yes

I quit my job last march and did it before starting grad school. Great decision. It may not change your life, or it might, or you might meet someone incredible who is in a situation just like you. (that happened to me and i never would have predicted it.) Words can't describe the difference between sitting around your apartment/going to the bar/getting worked up about little things and walking somewhere utterly new, every single day. You will not regret.

re: gear. new gear CAN be expensive....but you can gear up for pretty cheap. I didn't even have hiking boots at the start and I completely geared up for about $800. Others on this site have done it for way cheaper. craigslist and this site were great resources for new or gently used gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++