WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Bootfitter in Southeast for Problem Feet?

I haven't had great luck in Columbia, SC finding a really good shoe fitter at any of the outfitters. Maybe there are some, but they are not working when I shop?

Anyway, while my current shoes (Merrill Moab Ventilators) work well for me in my size, my (soon to be) wife is having some issues. She has some NB 81 something or anothers (the newest model), and is having some blistering from the spot where the toebox meets the rest of the shoe. She's got wide feet, supinates and all kind of good feet stuff going on, and since she's new to hiking I want to make sure she is fitted by someone who really knows shoes and feet.

So, who is the boot guy or gal worth travelling for? I'll drive up to 8 hours if need be, but closer would be better of course. I'm more than willing to spend money for excellent service and a good product.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    The older I get, the more I want to know.

Winton Porter at Mountain Crossing gets lots of practice!

A good place to visit before your hike, during and after...

Beware of Pirates.

Jonathan at Appalachian Outfitters in Greenville knows his stuff. Not too far from you.

Make an appointment to see Winton Porter at Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap, GA or Wayne at Bluff Mtn. Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC.

I'm diabetic with foot issues and Winton Porter at Mountain Crossing put me in the best footwear of any kind I've ever worn. Been in them most every day for four (Four) years, but it's getting time to replace them. Guess where I'm going!

Default You said you'd drive eight hours.....

Seems this has been said, but yeah, you should travel to North Georgia and spend an hour or two with Winton Porter.

If you're feet aren't right, then nothing's right, and there's nobody out there who knows more about proper boot fitting than Winton.

Oh, and if Western North Carolina is closer to home, yeah, absolutley, go see Wayne Crosby at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs, near Asheville.

These guys are the real deal, and you won't find anyone better on the A.T. or anywhere else.

Well, I guess we'll make our pilgrimage to Mountain Crossings and make an appointment with Winton! I was planning on going at some point just to check out the ULA packs, and now I have even more reason to go. Would late January be the sweet spot in terms of inventory on hand versus gazillions of thru hikers about?

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!
    The older I get, the more I want to know.

++ New Posts ++