WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I saw a handful of black hikers out this year.

Also, I heard there was a black thruhiker in '06. His trail name was Token. Like the kid on SouthPark. I think he named himself, the hiker that is.

Images

Token. That's damn funny. I met a hiker at Trail Days 2005 that told me his name was "The Black Guy." At least I think I did. There was alot of moonshine that year and it's kind of vague.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Token. That's damn funny. I met a hiker at Trail Days 2005 that told me his name was "The Black Guy." At least I think I did. There was alot of moonshine that year and it's kind of vague.
    yeah, that happens.

Images

If this wonderfully funny video is viewed by you folks as sort of a "gosh, everyone is so nice to the very unique Nee-gro who is walking these trails, which no Nee-gro ever walks because they are poor and economically disadvantaged and not middle class and like tennis and golf and wow they sure dance good!" type of thing, why, I wonder, do Blacks think it's so funny?

Two reasons, from a few of my friends who think it's hilarious (as do I, but then I grew up in Detroit, which gives me a different perspective, perhaps):

1) It is so incredibly patronizing by Blair Underwood to make a short film about how whites are so patronizing to "good" Black men; and

2) It is so hilarious that whites don't get the joke that Blacks are laughing at them.

Pretty much every stereotype that Blacks resent is found in 4 minutes, and Underwood does a droll job of mocking both the stereotypes as well as the people who don't "get" them. You disagree? Well, this video is all over the Web, and not at hiking sites; most of the sites - lots of which think it a great send-up of unconscious racism - wouldn't know if a few, lots, or no Blacks ever hiked, and don't care either way.

Only thing missing was a drop-in from Robert Downey. Oh wait. That was about hiking, too.

Laugh, white folks. The joke is on us this time.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    If this wonderfully funny video is viewed by you folks as sort of a "gosh, everyone is so nice to the very unique Nee-gro who is walking these trails, which no Nee-gro ever walks because they are poor and economically disadvantaged and not middle class and like tennis and golf and wow they sure dance good!" type of thing, why, I wonder, do Blacks think it's so funny?

Two reasons, from a few of my friends who think it's hilarious (as do I, but then I grew up in Detroit, which gives me a different perspective, perhaps):

1) It is so incredibly patronizing by Blair Underwood to make a short film about how whites are so patronizing to "good" Black men; and

2) It is so hilarious that whites don't get the joke that Blacks are laughing at them.

Pretty much every stereotype that Blacks resent is found in 4 minutes, and Underwood does a droll job of mocking both the stereotypes as well as the people who don't "get" them. You disagree? Well, this video is all over the Web, and not at hiking sites; most of the sites - lots of which think it a great send-up of unconscious racism - wouldn't know if a few, lots, or no Blacks ever hiked, and don't care either way.

Only thing missing was a drop-in from Robert Downey. Oh wait. That was about hiking, too.

Laugh, white folks. The joke is on us this time.

TW
    Well, DUH - that's one reason it's so funny. You think you are the only one that gets it? Sheesh.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    You think you are the only one that gets it? Sheesh.
    yes, he does.

If you feel the uncontrollable urge to discuss the political aspects of this humor piece try politics.com or any of the other hundreds of political sites out there.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    I saw a handful of black hikers out this year.

Also, I heard there was a black thruhiker in '06. His trail name was Token. Like the kid on SouthPark. I think he named himself, the hiker that is.
    There was a black thru-hiker in 06 named Breeze as well.

i find it funny that a buncha upper class whites are speculatin' on why black folks don't hike.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-04-2009 at 21:27. Reason: fixed spelling

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i find it funny that a buncha upper class whites are speculatin' on why black folks don't hike.
    Well. I don't really qualify as "upper class white." I never earned more than $35,000 a year. My folks earned much, much less.

If you think that is upper class, I'm happy to report what I know. On my walk north I talked with almost everyone I could find near the trail. But those few didn't have much of an answer. But then, most anything is better than nothing. Since you live a lot closer than I do to many blacks. Do a little investigation, LOne Wolf. I would love to see your report. I suspect a lot of us would love to see your report.

Weary

what are you smoking?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    what are you smoking?
    What is who smoking? And why do you want to know? We need to be precise about such things.

Default Im black and just finished my thru-hike

I just finished my AT thru-hike back in October and this video had me rolling on the floor. I think I was the only one, so this video hit home.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lancer_45 View Post
    I just finished my AT thru-hike back in October and this video had me rolling on the floor. I think I was the only one, so this video hit home.
    Congratulations! I'm sure many of us would love to hear about your experiences, but at least I would.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Congratulations! I'm sure many of us would love to hear about your experiences, but at least I would.

Weary
    The first words out of my melanin saturated friends were, "Why the h3ll would you go hiking in the mountains. Why would you go hiking in the mountains in Georgia? There're mountains 30 minutes from where you live! Georgia to Maine! On Foot? You'll never make it. Why don't you just get a job and just settle down.

The more I thought about this counter argument, the more it made me want to prove to everybody they had a skewed version of life. I had been exposed to all types of outdoor activities as a child, teen, etc. and decided to hike the trail w/o ever hiking more than a day. This was the, "If you say I can't do something, I'll do it 10x; except crack." In my honest opinion it all comes down to exposure. If I had never been exposed to these activities, I probably would have not considered hiking at all. I mean hiking is tough, unfamiliar, and too primitive for most people who haven't participated in it before. Sorry for the life lesson.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    It sure is FUNNY that some have misunderstood a black video poking fun at white hikers.
    A black video? Really? What exactly do you mean? Yes, the butt of the "jokes" in this video are aimed at the silly folks who encounter Underwood's character, but the video isn't some sort of advocacy statement. It's simply a funny piece that plays off of a well known stereotype. Like it or not, the diverse ethnic makeup of our population doesn't seem to carry over to hiking.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Never saw a black hiker on the trail. I don't think they exist.

just like ufo's
    sasquatch
    and moose
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    If you feel the uncontrollable urge to discuss the political aspects of this humor piece try politics.com or any of the other hundreds of political sites out there.
    Sorry about that, I also make fun of C-people, but I really get a kick out of watching L-people get spun up

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    ...It is so hilarious that whites don't get the joke that Blacks are laughing at them.
    TW
    I'm laughing with them and you and Weary are the butt of the joke

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Never saw a black hiker on the trail. I don't think they exist.

just like ufo's
    sasquatch
    and moose
    Yes they so. I've seen PLENTY of trails while hiking. Sheesh.
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++