WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No mail drops?

Images

Default No mail drops?

I'm doing a 2010 thru hike, and i dont want to do mail drops, how many people have done it with out them?

Images

LOTS of people. Tons of threads about this right now.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

My plan: I'm doing food maildrops for the first month only (and one other slightly less than simple resupply). Because after month 1, who knows how hungry I'll be, and what I'll want to eat? And the maildrops for month one will be good while I get into the swing of hiking.

Apart from food maildrops, I'll be doing a couple map mail drops, in which I'm including a little bit of food that I REALLY like. (Special cookies or candy that you can't get everywhere).

You might want to do some mail drops, if not for food, any replacement gear or maps you need.

But you can TOTALLY resupply along the trail without ever doing a maildrop. As I said, I'm just using them for the first month because A- they're simple, B- they're easy, if they don't get lost or I come into town late on a Saturday, C- I have plenty of stamps saved up, so I won't need to spend any of my cash on them (small upside) D- They're fun to plan and pack, and E- I can pretty easily pack things I like to eat now, because I don't think my tastes will change too drastically in the first couple weeks.

Good Luck.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Whatever you do, send one to Harper's Ferry! You won't regret it.

Images

Why? (I'm not seding anything because I'm meeting my family and they'll be bringing me things)

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotnj View Post
    I'm doing a 2010 thru hike, and i dont want to do mail drops, how many people have done it with out them?
    i've done 5 thru hikes without mail drops.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Read this:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arti...supplybook.pdf

Written in 2007, but the overall details are correct. Also consult with a newer guidebook for updated details.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default Yeehaw!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Why? (I'm not sending anything because I'm meeting my family and they'll be bringing me things)
    Good answer! You're very smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotnj View Post
    This point has probably been made in the other threads on mail drops but I'll repeat it: for food, it all depends on what kind of food you want. As others have said, there're sufficient stores in trail towns to procure enough food and many hikers do so, perhaps the majority. But if you want more specialized foods i.e. homemade or dehydrated or meals assembled from bulk products, you'll appreciate at least an occasional maildrop.

On my last few long distance hikes, I compromised. Lunch stuff, trail mix, fresh fruits, granola bars,hot chocolate - all these I bought along the way. I mail-dropped my dinners and breakasts. It's a personal thing. I prefer my homemade oatmeal over the packaged stuff and I like whole-grain starches for my dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Whatever you do, send one to Harper's Ferry! You won't regret it.
    Outfitter and General Store have limited but sufficient resupply, and 2 grocery stores and Walmart are a short bus ride or hitch away. On the other hand, I can't imagine regretting sending a mail drop to Harpers Ferry. Unless it doesn't arrive.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Outfitter and General Store have limited but sufficient resupply, and 2 grocery stores and Walmart are a short bus ride or hitch away. On the other hand, I can't imagine regretting sending a mail drop to Harpers Ferry. Unless it doesn't arrive.
    J2, almost everyone I talked to had a maildrop sent just for the convenience factor. The walk to the 7-11 store is a haul and if you get into town late or on a weekend you have to contend with a very limited bus service schedule.

My buddy took the bus ride to the Walmart but it didn't run a return trip late afternoon. He had a heck of a time getting a ride/hitch back and was one frustrated thru-hiker.

I say do yourself a favor and send a food drop then relax and enjoy some beers in town- time well spent at the psychological half way point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    J2, almost everyone I talked to had a maildrop sent just for the convenience factor. The walk to the 7-11 store is a haul and if you get into town late or on a weekend you have to contend with a very limited bus service schedule.

My buddy took the bus ride to the Walmart but it didn't run a return trip late afternoon. He had a heck of a time getting a ride/hitch back and was one frustrated thru-hiker.

I say do yourself a favor and send a food drop then relax and enjoy some beers in town- time well spent at the psychological half way point.
    Agreed on all points, except that I was referring to the General Store on Potomac Street (which has resupply now, but not when you were through) -- but those who do end up at the 7-11 (VERY limited resupply) are encouraged to go next door to The Pub, which has excellent beer and good food for cheaper than down in the Ferry.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quick note: People should know that the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry has a small, but perfectly adequate food selection, i.e. Liptons, Mountain House dinners, snacks, treats, etc. And there are all sorts of places to re-supply in Maryland and Southern PA so you don't need to bring a whole lot with you out of Harpers. (This should also be kept in mind by folks who plan to send themselves food here. I've seen some enormous maildrops sent here and it simply isn't necessary to send or purchase that much here).

Another reason you don't need a maildrop in Harper's Ferry is that there is tons of stuff in the hiker box at the ATC HQ because so many people do maildrops there.

Images

thanks for the advise guys, i might do one two or three along the way for a little surprise when i get into town.

Images

I am going to attempt my thru in 2010 with no maildrops either but what sort of stuff would i most likely want to get once in town

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AUhiker90 View Post
    I am going to attempt my thru in 2010 with no maildrops either but what sort of stuff would i most likely want to get once in town

Well, uh...hopefully food.

You still might want to consider mailing yourself maps and not rely on outfitters, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

It's nice to not have to go out of the way too much to get supplies. There are many trail towns, especially north of Harpers Ferry thru southern PA, Mass, etc. If you are really good at planning things out, mail drops can save you from overbuying in stores where you may need only smaller quantities but have to buy bigger boxes.

Garlic
    Images

I hiked the AT without a single maildrop for food. I really enjoyed NOT having to plan that aspect of the hike. Interestingly, that strategy saved me several trips into towns where there was a small market or C-store walking distance from the trail (Atkins, Troutdale, Harpers Ferry immediately come to mind).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Never underestimate the your ability to resupply at gas stations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++