WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hiking from the AT to Eastern Long Island

Hey everyone, this is my first post here so excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

Myself and a few friends are going to do a section of the trail from Harpers Ferry to ideally, home (Westhampton, NY), on eastern Long Island. The goal or logic behind this is simply that we'd like to walk home from college, literally. We know that the trail will take us north through PA, but we'd like to deviate and go through Manhattan and then east on Long Island.

The straightest shot would be to head east somewhere around Allentown, PA and go through Newark. My understanding of this is based only on the highway system though. I know the trail can take us to the border of NY via NJ, however I'm not sure how we'd be able to go southeast again to get to Long Island.

Basically I was wondering if anyone knew of any other trails we'd be able to hike and camp on that would take us to Long Island, either east through PA or southeast through NJ.

If people are not aware of specific trails, is there a resource online where we can view the hiking / trails available for each state? This way we might be able to take some transportation to link up on another trail that will put us in the right direction.

Thanks for your help

An intriguing Idea....

I would say if you can go further then Allentown. Look at where you cross in the NJ at the Water Gap, you might be able to follow Rt 80. Also If you weight until you cross into NY the trail takes you east, yes you have to hike south east to get to where you want to go but it's closer then the water gap and appears to be less road hiking.
    21.1% Done

You can take the AT to Harriman State Park in New York, just west of the Hudson River. At Harriman the AT intersects with the Long Path, about 60 miles north of New York City. The Long Path will take you all the way to the George Washington Bridge, at which point you can walk over the bridge into Manhattan. Walk across Manhattan to the Queensboro Bridge, walk to Queens, etc. Not sure about how to get from Queens to your spot in Long Island, but at that point you are pretty close.

Not sure what the Long Path has to offer as far as camping is concerned, but there should be towns along the way where you can stay overnight if necessary.

Images

OOOH have another hit! of fresh air baby

Images

While the Long Path does run south from Harriman State Park to the GWB, my understanding is that it's not really possible to LEGALLY camp along that section. I believe it's in the neighbothood of 50 miles so you would probably need at least one overnight, probably 2. You probably could find motels to spend those nights in though. You can order a book, The Long Path Guide from the NY/NJ Trail Conference. They also have a map of the trail.

Walking from Manhattan to West Hampton would be something less than desireable. You could take the LIRR from Manhattan to Port Jefferson, hitch or take a cab to Rocky Point, at route 25A, and follow the Paumanok Path to the south fork. It runs all the way to Montauk so it goes through the Hamptons someplace.
    happy hiking

That's an awesome idea! I walked out my door to the PCT this year. I was lucky and could walk on trails almost the whole way.

That 50 mile Long Path sounds doable. I bet you can find a place to sleep. Maybe you can even arrange one in advance if you know someone along the way. Stay at their house or something.

I hope you can do this. It will be so cool.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Oooh, the At to Long Island. . . . enjoy the pavement. . . .

Yes, you can take the AT to Harriman and then the Long Path down to the GW in Ft. Lee.

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/longpath/lp3.html

I have hiked the Long Path up to Wurtsboro using the AT/Shawangunk route. There are plenty of places you can stealth if you choose your spots carefully. You are not likely to encounter any other overnight hikers on the Long Path portion, maybe some people out for a run in more populated areas.

Hiking along the Palisades and the Hudson is especially nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Yes, you can take the AT to Harriman and then the Long Path down to the GW in Ft. Lee.

http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/longpath/lp3.html

I have hiked the Long Path up to Wurtsboro using the AT/Shawangunk route. There are plenty of places you can stealth if you choose your spots carefully. You are not likely to encounter any other overnight hikers on the Long Path portion, maybe some people out for a run in more populated areas.

Hiking along the Palisades and the Hudson is especially nice.
    I'm up to Wurtsboro too. If you are heading north from there, let me know, maybe we can arrange something
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Thanks for all the help guys, and a special thanks to the dicks talking **** about me returning to my home and to pristine ocean beaches that I get paid to oversee every summer...

Back on topic, I just want to clarify the process of getting off of the AT and onto the Long Path. After hiking through NJ and into NY, does the AT automatically take me into Harriman State Park or is it a derivation that is marked somehow?

Same question for the HSP -> Long Path, is everything marked? I apologize for the dull questions, my trail guide hasn't arrived yet and I'm looking into one for the Long Path now.

Does anyone have any experience overnighting on the LP? All of us are using hammocks so I don't foresee it being a problem as long as we're discreet.

Also, if anyone could provide some clarification on this blurb I got from backpackinglight.com that would be great, I'm just not sure in what direction they're talking about:

"Due to a large section of the trail that has been closed at times by landowners, the NYNJTC built the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, which connects High Point Park in New Jersey to Sam's Point Preserve in New York. With the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, it is possible to hike from Fort Lee to Harriman State Park on the Long Path, then to High Point via the Appalachian Trail, then to Sam's Point to reconnect with the Long Path."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SAMCRO View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys, and a special thanks to the dicks talking **** about me returning to my home and to pristine ocean beaches that I get paid to oversee every summer...

Back on topic, I just want to clarify the process of getting off of the AT and onto the Long Path. After hiking through NJ and into NY, does the AT automatically take me into Harriman State Park or is it a derivation that is marked somehow?

Same question for the HSP -> Long Path, is everything marked? I apologize for the dull questions, my trail guide hasn't arrived yet and I'm looking into one for the Long Path now.

Does anyone have any experience overnighting on the LP? All of us are using hammocks so I don't foresee it being a problem as long as we're discreet.

Also, if anyone could provide some clarification on this blurb I got from backpackinglight.com that would be great, I'm just not sure in what direction they're talking about:

"Due to a large section of the trail that has been closed at times by landowners, the NYNJTC built the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, which connects High Point Park in New Jersey to Sam's Point Preserve in New York. With the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, it is possible to hike from Fort Lee to Harriman State Park on the Long Path, then to High Point via the Appalachian Trail, then to Sam's Point to reconnect with the Long Path."
    You wouldn't need to hike the SRT. IF coming up from Harpers Ferry you would hike north on the AT till you got to Harriman at which point you would pick up the Long Path (aqua blazes) going south for 50 miles to NYC. I just did the miles this summer and there are plenty of places to camp as long as you are somewhat stealth, especially around Nyack/Piermont. I would avoid camping too close to the city and the Palisades Pkwy.

The SRT section is really in lieu of walking thru Orange County which is north of where you want to go anyway. I have not really hiked in Long Island. The Long Path is easy to follow and is pretty well blazed.

Images

As you hike the AT northbound from Harper's Ferry it will take you through High Point State park in NJ. Do not take the Shawangunk Ridge Trail, instead continue northbound on the AT and it will take you right into Harriman State park in NY. In Harriman the AT will intersect the Long Path. The AT has white blazes and the Long Path has blazes that are aqua blue. Make a right onto the Long Path to go south toward the George Washington Bridge. If you need info on the Paumanok Path on Long Island you can get maps of the trails on the island from The Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference. I thought I had their web address, but I can't find it right now. I'm sure you can google it.
    I'd love to hear how you make out camping along the Long Path because if it's doable I'd use it as part of a hike from Long Island to Ohio that I plan to do.

The trail is definitely completely open at this time on the portion you will would take and for that matter all the way up to Wurtsboro and up to the Albany area. The part that BP light is referring to is the alternate route, see the map I linked to previously.

Going northbound on the A.T., after you pass through the "lemon squeezer" there will be a major intersection with a pole with wooden signs with distances to points north and south on the A.T. and Long Path in the middle of it. Unless vandals remove the sign it would be impossible to miss.

A diner and a grocery store are right near the trail in Mt. Ivey/Pomona on 202 and you go right past fast food in Nyack and some little cafes in Piermont. Really, once you are out of Harriman, you are in a narrow corridor, you walk by houses and tennis courts and apartment complexes and are never far from a major road.

Check the NYNJTC site for possible closures or re-routes due to weather or whatever. You can also buy a Long Path guide from the NYNJTC.

A-Train, I was going to thru-hike the whole trail a couple of summers ago but the ticks were horrible because I waited until summer instead of starting in early spring.

On a humorous note, I sent a mail drop to Pomona not realizing there was a grocery store right there on the way to the PO and they sent it back because the employees did not know what general delivery is and decided there was no local address to deliver it to and could not understand that the standard instructions to hold it for a hiker were for them.

Images

A-Train, I was going to thru-hike the whole trail a couple of summers ago but the ticks were horrible because I waited until summer instead of starting in early spring.

On a humorous note, I sent a mail drop to Pomona not realizing there was a grocery store right there on the way to the PO and they sent it back because the employees did not know what general delivery is and decided there was no local address to deliver it to and could not understand that the standard instructions to hold it for a hiker were for them.
    It is a little gem of a trail, besides for some of the road walking. Was playing around Wurtsboro and Basha Lake last weekend and it was gorgeous. I got a tick in me two weeks ago outside of Piermont! I've been plugging away at it with day hikes and little sections for now.

Would make for a fun thru

Sorry for all the posts.

Here is a link showing the greenway along the Hudson that you could take from the NY side of the GW down and around the tip of Manhattan to the bridge crossings to Brooklyn.

http://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/manhattan-bike-map/

The park is pretty much complete now although at times you still have to share the bath with bikes, but it's not a problem.

Then you would probably have to walk sidewalks and streets. Maybe try Google Maps for directions and specify walking as mode of transportation.

A Train, I agree the Long Path is a gem.

Basha Kill is absolutely amazing, the Shawangunk ridge is neat, the railroad walk is interesting, that swamp north of High Point monument is unique, the ruins and views in Palisades Park, the rockwork at the NY/NJ border, the cemetery in Piermont, even the park in Ft. Lee with the fiberglas logs! I would probably just start here because the whole trail up to Wurtsboro is interesting and it would be nice to do it again. I talked to a guy in Wurtsboro who was mowing the baseball field who hikes and he said the trail north of there is even better, a little wilder. I have been to the Phoenicia area and can vouch for that.

A Train, I agree the Long Path is a gem.

Basha Kill is absolutely amazing, the Shawangunk ridge is neat, the railroad walk is interesting,
    Although I love that part of the Long Path, it would be a bit out of the way as mentioned before. Just stay on the AT until Harimman. It will be obvious, the Long Path is well marked.

In fact, I think the Long Path from Harimman to Manhattan is also a really nice section of trail.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I thru-hiked the Long Path. The directions given above are correct: stay on the AT to Harriman State Park. About a mile after the Lemon Squeezer, you will reach the AT-LP intersection. Turn right to take the LP South. It will probably take you 3-5 days to get to the George Washington Bridge from the AT. Once you leave Harriman, camping is illegal but it is easy to find places to stealth camp.

I also vote the AT to Harriman and the Long Path. I have stealth camped on the Long Path and if your careful it should be fine. I wouldn't plan on stealth camping during the Palisades section as the forest gets kinda narrow there with the Interstate on one side and the cliffs on the other. It could be done. I've stumbled onto deer sleeping in that section.

I think I would get off the roads in Queens and follow either the North or South shore. If you stay just below the high tide line, the walk should be on semi-firm sand, comfortable on the feet and nobody can hassle you because anything below the high tide line is public property. You may have to walk around nature preserve areas at times though.

'
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++