WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Do you carrry a handgun on the AT?

Voters
170. This poll is closed
  • I am a woman and I carry a handgun

6 3.53%
  • I am a man and I carry a handgun

43 25.29%
  • I am a woman and I do NOT carry a handgun

13 7.65%
  • I am a man and I do NOT carry a handgun

108 63.53%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

All men should know how to use a weapon such as a gun.

Images

Not saying that you should always carry on the A.T. but I don't really see any issue in that either if you are responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    silly rabbit. a gun ain't for the bears, they're harmless. it's for the gary hilton's of the world
    shootin's too good for him...give him to the women.

Back in the early ninties, I had a girlfriend that used to carry a 9mm glock. It was very heavy and I felt it was unneeded. Once while crossing a gravel road on the trail, a pickup truck with 6 guys rode by and stopped. The group were all drinking beer and started to hollow at my GF who was wearing very short shorts, which were in style at that time. They stopped the truck, and acted like they were going to get out. We just hightailed it up the trail, and never saw them again. I had talked her out of taking the gun this trip. Coincidently this was on Craigs Creek Rd where the two Va. Tech students were tragically murdered this year, and they still haven't solved the case

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Whatever one's feelings about guns, the following sums up most of the practicalities:

1) If by "gun" one includes long guns and shotguns, they are far too heavy and will terrify most other people along the trail, especially out of hunting season.

2) Handguns usually can't be carried easily in belt holsters by backpackers, and so must be carried inside a pack or, perhaps, in chest or thigh holsters, both of which make backpacking much harder. That makes "external carries" impractical for long hiking trips, but it also makes them inaccessible in the event they are needed while walking.

3) Revolvers in packs are dangerous if loaded, since shifting gear can cause an accidental firing, unless a trigger lock is in place, which makes immediate use even more difficult.

4) Automatics tend to be heavier than revolvers, but can be finicky in the presence of outside contaminants, e.g. pack crud. So they need to be in a case/holster/bag to protect them, including from water when it rains and your pack lets some water in. This also makes them harder to use quickly.

5) Most modern automatic pistols will weigh about 1.5 pounds unloaded. A full clip will add about another pound, and holstering/cases will add about 1 more. That means that the weight for a pistol will be about 3-4 pounds, or roughly 10% of packweight. That's a very major addition.

6) Clips will hold from 8 (plus one in the snout) to 30-odd rounds. If you need more ammunition for any reason, you cannot mail it, and resupply is much harder that for other resupply items.

7) Carrying a firearm into some restaurants, stores hostels (particularly those operated by churches), libraries, and government buildings may be a criminal offense. This includes United States Post Offices (and other federal buildings) even if a valid CCW permit is held. Similar laws may apply to state and local government buildings. This can mean that it is necessary to leave a weapon with your pack or elsewhere, which can also be a violation of state laws (leaving a weapon in an unsafe location accessible to others) and is dangerous in any event, leaving aside the risk of loss.

8) Handguns tend to be expensive, with prices for automatics ranging from a few hundred dollars into the thousands. This makes a handgun a very expensive part of your gear.

These are simply practicalities: Carrying a gun for a thru hike is very, very difficult.
    Weasle, I agree with you very much and regardless of where one stands on the issue, you have made some very valid points. Whether discussing daily carry, or carrying while backpacking, those that make the choice to carry really must consider the various issues. Further it is extremely important to also understand the state laws where you intend to carry.

Backpacking brings a different set of issues and point #2 is very valid. Daily out and about I prefer an inside the waistband holster. Something that is not going to work at all with the way that a backpack is positioned. Nor am I comfortable placing a piece in my pack, especially where I cannot get to it at the moment that God forbid, its actually needed. As far as the dangers of putting a piece in the pack, hammerless, double-action only revolvers are ideal for such an issue.

On #4 in this day and time autos are not at all as finiky as they might have been in their early days. In this day and time they are tested against some of the harshest environments and pack crud doesnt event come close. The single biggest issue with any auto pistol is the use of poor quality magazines to feed ammunition.

On weight, modern polymers have actually made handguns extremely light weight. My full size 1911 is just under 2 1/2 pounds empty and still just under 3 when loaded -- and that is old school. Someone wanting light weight options can choose from models such as Ruger's Lightwight Compact Revolver (LCR) 13.5 ounces, which happens to weigh the same as the MSR .75 litter cook put I have. Kel-tec offers auto pistols that weigh in at 14 ounces down to 6.8 ounces

And on #7 YES please know the law.

Images

Glad the two of you are OK.

Bout time for a "pass every white patch of paint and nod" thread ain't it?

Images

Interesting post I found from a gun owner in Tenn notes that Tenn law prohibits guns not only in a lot of stores (if posted) but ANY place where alcohol is served, and prohibits carrying a gun ANY time you have been drinking, no matter how little. Virginia law appears to be the same. I'm going to guess that most states are also this way.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to start a fight...just really curious about how many people feel the need to carry a gun. I have someone on this other forum telling me what an amazingly dangerous thing it is to hike in the woods and on the AT...and I disagree with her. Quite honestly I was stunned at how many people recommended a gun to a woman who asked about personal safety equipment to acquire while walking her dogs in a public park in daylight.

I did research the topic and I would not carry the weight either unless there were some major changes in the crime rate on the trail. So if this topic offends anyone, I'm sorry. Perhaps the mods can delete it.
    Hey, don't back down, you asked a very valid question. Many people ask this, and it is somewhat controversial on this site (well, people have different opinions and get heated up about what they say).

Don't be sorry, if people are offended by you asking if anyone carries a gun, it's their problem.

As for me, I'm not afraid of guns, I don't really mind guns, but I would prefer not to be near some people who have guns. I know that many people are extremely responsible when it comes to using/caring for/ carrying a gun, but there are some who aren't responsible, and I'd rather not be near them when they have a powerful weapon. And it is hard to distinguish between who is or isn't responsible. So on the whole, I'm more comfortable when people don't carry guns.

But I do support the right to bear arms.

And the right to arm bears.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Tuck:

Excellent post. On weight, though, I think it's like most other items; the lighter they are, the more they cost, at least for reliable/quality brands. (Saturday night specials are as dangerous to owners as anyone else, in my experience.) Kel-tecs, used, are probably about $350 and up.

I left out one other "practicality": If a gun is in your pack, even in a shelter that's a big delay to get it out in the event of a risky situation, and if you do, you're going to scare hell out of everyone else in the shelter as you pull it out. If you have it out already, even holstered, you are going to scare a lot of people. I think a lot of people would be reluctant to hike with someone who is armed in the informal groups that form in a thru hike. That means that if you're carrying, you'll probably end up not using shelters (LW will cheer for that) and being somewhat isolated personally.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    But I do support the right to bear arms.

And the right to arm bears.
    Why do you think bears need to have arms? Aren't paws good enough?

TW

I'm new to hiking and to the AT, and when I went on my first solo week-long hike in September, I carried a handgun. I read a lot on the subject in this forum before I left and knew that I probably would not need it, but I kept running the "what if" scenarios through my head when packing before my trip, and in the end it made it's way into my pack. I'm very careful with guns and nobody I encountered ever knew that I had it. And of course I never ended up needing to even take it out of the holster, but I will admit I slept a little more soundly alone in the woods for the first time knowing it was beside me. That being said, I also learned a lot about unnecessary pack weight (like the two fuel cannisters I was carrying - what was I thinking?), and when I go back next year I will probably leave the extra 3 pounds of steel at home. There were many times that week that I thought I was going to die of exhaustion from lugging my pack up one mountain after another, but I never thought I was going to die at the hands of a bear or a hillbilly. That being said, I have no doubt that at some point while packing for my next trip, I'm going to have to quiet the second guessing and the "what ifs." To each his own, just be responsible and please don't shoot me by accident.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I never thought I was going to die at the hands of a bear or a hillbilly. That being said, I have no doubt that at some point while packing for my next trip, I'm going to have to quiet the second guessing and the "what ifs." To each his own, just be responsible and please don't shoot me by accident.

Can we shoot you on purpose if keep calling people along the trail, "Hillbillies"?

TW

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Glad the two of you are OK.

Bout time for a "pass every white patch of paint and nod" thread ain't it?
    ...don't forget cell phones and dogs, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Why do you think bears need to have arms? Aren't paws good enough?

TW

Bears are people too! Wait...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

We have had a lot of great section hikes along the AT.I've always said that the people on the trail are the nicest people your never going to see again. However, one night we tent camped next to a shelter , when 3 guys hiked in. Everyone introduced themselves and we made a little fire. The "Three Amigos", pulled out some bottles and started drinking. No problem. After a bit more drinking, they finally told us they were police from florida. Flashed ID and all that. But our night was over when they pulled out there pistols, and told us we did'nt have have to worry about anyone "messin with us tonight". A short time later we retired to the tent. We didnt sleep well that night. This is one of the most dangerous situations that can occur on the trail. I live in Indiana, and have hunted my entire life. But your handgun has no place around a campfire with fellow hikers.

Can we shoot you on purpose if keep calling people along the trail, "Hillbillies"?

TW

I was kind of exaggerating to make a point, but next time I'll refer to them as "unsavory characters who may wish to do me harm" so as not to offend anyone. I also apologize for the use of the word "bear" if that annoyed anyone. I should have said "Ursus Americanus." On second thought, maybe I WILL carry my gun next time in case I run into a Weasel.

Someimes I carry a gun, sometimes I don't. I hike my own hike and live my own life. The weight does not bother me and is not an issue. I have never felt threatend by any person on the trail, but I doubt Merideth felt threatened either until it was too late. Varying laws are of little concern to me for if I am ever placed in a position to use the gun my life will be more important than any law. When I do carry I keep it covered up so no one may become 'offended'. I don't really care what other people think but I will give them the same respect for their opinions that I expect them give me for mine.

I was trying to think of how to put in in words
    Airborne 3325 seems to have read my mind on this issue

Hey! I dig the bear "GOIN' ROGUE"

Images

And if I may add one more thing -- concealed means concealed

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++